Friday, January 14, 2022

One Year Ago Today

 

The 911 ambulance take Bill to the hospital this time last year


One year ago today I found Bill unconscious on his bedroom floor. 

I could not arouse him.

I called 911.

They came and took him to the local hospital emergency room.

Later that day, when I was at work at the hotel, they called me and asked my permission to airlift him to the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Bill was near death from a stroke (blood clots in his lungs from his a-fib) and they didn't think he would survive the two hour drive from Lewes to Philadelphia. 

I gave them permission to airlift him to Philadelphia. 

Bill finally had his first ride in a helicopter but to this day he remembers nothing about it.

The next six days he was in the ICU unit of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. They saved his life

Then he was transported to the PAM Rehabilitation Hospital in Dover, Delaware. 

He spent two weeks at PAM.

February 4th, I brought him home. 

He's been with me ever since and now it is time for his daily ride.

I am so thankful that they saved his life and that he is now at home, under hospice care, and with me. 

Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

Geo. said...

Dear Ron, In this and your prior post, I was deeply moved by your work and words:"He devoted his life to me, I can do the same for him." I am ageing poorly and hope my more physically fit (but legally blind) spouse can do as much for me should it come to that, or I for her. From you I learn it is an expression of love that transcends all fragmentation. My respect and best hopes to you both.

Ron said...

Geo.,
Always good to hear from you. I feel that I am blessed to have Bill at home to care for. This morning I was talking to my longtime friend Larry (since grade school, we're the same age 80) on FaceTime. He has ALS, can't get out of his house, has health aides come in his home four times a wee. His wife just returned home from a month stay at a rehab facility. He doesn't know how he's going to care for her, she can't get out of her wheelchair. He has children though but they have their own lives. Challenges for all of old folks today. Love does have a lot to do with it though. However, I do wonder who will care for me if I end up in this situation. Pat has his back troubles now. I may have to care for him. Welcome to the "Golden Years" as Larry and I often say to one another.
Ron

Jon said...

It hardly seems like it's been a year, Ron. Time flies so quickly - especially since I'm getting older. I know that it's extremely difficult being a caregiver, but you were actually blessed to have Bill with you for another year. The bond between you is strong and he knows how much you love him.
Take care, Ron, you're often in my thoughts.

Ron said...

Jon,
I am so fortunate to have Bill here at home. My friend Glenn in California, who was also a caregiver for his partner, lost him last December (a year ago) without even a chance to say "goodbye." His partner fell and broke his hip, was taken to the hospital where he died of a heart attack. Because of COVID Glenn couldn't see his partner (Mike) while he was alive. However, when he died they let him in to be with his dead body for half an hour It was so abrupt. I've been blessed that I can care for Bill here at home and have said "goodbye" many times. In fact I just said goodbye again as Bill went to bed right now. I fully expect one morning to find him dead in his recliner but until then I count each day I'm with him as blessed. And you take care of yourself Jon. Don't fall!
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...