You get one thing fixed, then something else goes wrong. Oh the joys of home ownership!
I noticed last week that our automatic garage door was acting a little bit wonky but I put it out of my mine. I just don't want to deal with yet another problem.
Yesterday I noticed that the garage door didn't close all the way. Left about a half a foot opening at the bottom. Just enough to let the outside twenty degree frigid air in our garage.
I played around with the pulley and accidentally made the garage door manual. Now that isn't going to work. I'm used to pushing the garage door button on the wall to open the garage door. Not for me getting out of my car and manually opening the garage door then once out of the garage, getting out of my car again with my eighty year old arthritic body, to CLOSE the garage door.
I called the garage door company I had in my Contacts list on my iPhone. They told me it would cost me initially $160 to JUST come out here. WHAT? I asked them where they were located. The nice woman on the other end of my iPhone call told me "Easton, Maryland." "Oh no" I said. I'll have to call a local company. She said "Fine." She was actually very nice about it, not snotty or anything. I don't need snotty right now.
I looked again in my Contacts and there he was. Randy P., the guy who fixed my garage door several years go when it acted up. He was friendly, and reasonable in cost. Not $160 for just showing up, for chrissakes.
I called Randy. He said "Hello Ron" (he knows my name! Well, I aim unforgettable to some people). He said he couldn't send his guys out until Monday. Okay, that will have to do.
In the meantime I got in touch with my neighbor Bob M. who has way better handyman skills than yours truly, although I am learning since Bill is out of the handyman picture around here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.
Bob looked at it (he brought me over some homemade chicken noodle soup, which I'm going to have for lunch today, yum). Put it back on track and it worked.
A few minutes ago I went out in our garage to open the garage door to take Bill for his daily ride. The garage door open. So far so good. I decided to check it to see if everything is working. I tried to close it, only went down a bit then came right back up. Uh oh. I tried several more times, same thing. I asked Bill if he could forgo today's daily ride. He said "I'll do whatever you want me to do." Fine, we won't go out for a ride today or tomorrow. Besides it's to damn cold. Twenty degrees with some wind. TOO COLD.
Good thing I stock up on food for emergencies like this. Also, I won't be bored being housebound for a couple of days. Look at the positive side, I won't be exposing myself to the latest variation on the COVID virus.
11 comments:
You may have done this already, but did you check the sensors at the bottom of the door? They must be lined up or the door does just what yours did. It's a safety measure so pets and people don't get squished by the door.
Just a thought as this has happened to me. (Not getting squished but the door popping back up)
Good luck!
Susan
Honey--Look at your blog--The dates have shading and this old man can read it--Happy Saturday---
As Susan said; On your last tries the door started down but came right back up. One simple thing you might check is the ‘safety photoeye’ that is usually installed looking across the door opening right near the bottom. There is a ‘transmitter’ on one side and a ‘receiver’ on the other. It’s purpose is to prevent the door closing on something in the door’s path of travel. If anything is blocking that light beam, the door will do exactly as you have described. Wipe the face of each of these devices plus look for anything obstructing them. It can be as simple as just dirt, or a leaf, or anything that blocks the light path. I’ve had this happen on mine numerous times. Good luck!
This weekend we are going through some major home matters; oh the pain
Our garage door doesn't open if it is under 10C; it has to be manually done. Nuisance.
Susan,
Thanks for your valuable tip! I checked my sensors at the bottom of the door and they did seem dirty. I cleaned them (spit and tongue) and they seem to be working now. I'm still getting my garage door checked out by the garage door guys coming by on Monday. thanks again for your very helpful hint. I'm learning to be a real handyman.
Ron
Ur-spo,
What a pain your garage door not opening under 50 degrees? Wow! That is an inconvenience. Maybe that's the problem with my garage door, it is very cold right now, in the 20 degree category. Another commenter suggested I clean the electric eye sensor at the bottom of the door. I have and the garage door seems to work now.
Hey, nice to hear from you but don't feel obligated to read and leave comments. I'm over that. As long as I survive another day to blog, I'm happy.
Ron
Vic, Sweetheart, I DO NOT KNOW what you're talking about. Explain please.
Ron
Ron--
I can't do a screenshot into the comments section.
If you log on to your blog and review your postings you will see that you have the dates of the postings shaded. The effect is that yes, I can read the date of the posting but it is hard because of the shading.
Don't let me have to come over there and show you.
Best,
Victor
XO
Vic,
I'll check. Thanks!
Ron
Vic,
YES! I can see it now. I'll correct that right now. Thanks!
Ron
Thank you dear...I was packing and getting ready to fly out there...By the way...I love the header of your blog...The front...
Post a Comment