Monday, January 24, 2022

Garage Door Fixed!

 



Hip hip hooray! 

Our garage door is fixed! 

One less problem to worry about!

On this cold and sunny January day, right after I finished lunch (good timing), the roof repair guys drove up our driveway setting off our driveway detection bell which I installed a couple of weeks ago just for these service visits.

"Nick", the brother of the owner, told me right away that the visit was a minimum of $125. Fair enough. Donald McDuck here. 

I told him the problem I was having, the garage door not closing all the way and then sometimes only coming down part way until it goes back up. As a couple of commenters on this blog suggested, my safety garage detection lights were interfered with some way. I cleaned them and the garage door was working, albeit a bit wonky.

I asked Nick just to do a general check and maintenance which he did and I went back to cleaning up my dirty dishes from my lunch.

Fifteen minutes later Nick banged his fist on our door. He was finished. 

I wrote him a check for $125 and apologized for not shaking his hand. COVID. That started a conversation with him that he told me he had a bad case from the Delta variant. He said he was quite sick for a while and still doesn't have his taste or smell back completely. 

This is the fourth person who has come to Casa Tipton-Kelly who has had COVID. Bill's hospice nurse had it, my computer guy had it, and the guy fixing my basement wall leak had it. I'm telling you folks, I think eventually all of us will get IT.

So far Bill and I are lucky but I did order the free COVID tests from the U. S. Government web site. 

And the beat goes on.

6 comments:

Woody in Ohio said...

Ron, what did the service man do for the $125.00? What was the professional diagnosis and the final solution? It is no big deal but an inquiring mine, such as I was blessed with, needs to know. Take care of yourself and that precious husband of yours. Lots of love from Woody in Ohio.

VRCooper said...

Yes, Woody...What did Nick do for $125.00..No, not that...And it is not 1970...And was Nick cute...The hell with the garage door...

Ron said...

Woody,
For the $125 it was the base charge for just the visit even if they did nothing. But he did give me a professional diagnosis, oiled it, and adjusted the electric eye. Expensive yes but cheaper than the other garage door company who wanted $160 just to come out. Plus this company I used before and I was very pleased with them. However, I think the price did go up as is everything these days. Hard for us retired folk trying to survive on a fixed income.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Hes, Nick was cute but what he did was a professional diagnosis, oiled the garage door (runs much smoother now) and adjusted the electric eye safety mechanism.
Ron

JM said...

I too start to shake people's hands, and then pull back. It's sad. I only hug family and very close friends.

Ron said...

JM.
I definitely don't hug anybody these days. Today I did a fist bump with the buy who fix my basement wall leak. I almost shook his hand but I had to pull back at the last second. He also had COVID.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...