Sunday, March 14, 2021

Daylight Savings Time And Other Meandering Thoughts On This Sunday




 This morning I had to endure the twice a year aggravation of changing all our clocks due to the beginning of Daylight Savings Time. 

I love clocks and have way too many, but this is the time of year that I wish I only had one clock. 

I think I have at least fifty timepieces to change. Some change themselves but most of my clocks I have to change by hand. And wouldn't you know it, no two are changed the same way. Because I only change the clocks every six months, at least half of them I forget how I changed them. Clocks are not like typewriter keyboards, standardized but someone went out of their way to make no two the same.

As of this writing I've only changed about half of our clocks, I still have to change the one in my car. That's one I always forget. For some reason I have a mental block on that clock.

Two of our clocks are high up on the wall. Bill usually pulls out the ladder and changes those times but he can't do that now because of his stoke and weakness and balancing problems. That's all we need now for him to fall and break his leg or other body part and end up in the emergency room, again. Yesterday I received a summary of the bill that Bill's five day stay at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia.  That was a jaw dropper bill, six figures.  And that is just for his four day stay. That bill didn't include his emergency room visit here in Lewes, nor his helicopter airlift to Philadelphia (which he doesn't remember at all), nor his two week stay at the rehab hospital, nor all those (many, many) doctor's visits, nor his home health aid visits, nor all his medications and it goes on and on. Thank goodness insurance has covered almost all of the costs incurred by Bill's strokes but man oh man, what does one do without insurance? Go bankrupt.

Back to the clocks. This morning was Shower Day for Bill (every three days). Bill moans and groans but the bulk of the physical effort is from me, getting Bill undressed, into the shower, lathering him down, drying him off, they dressing him again. Bill is almost totally unable to dress himself, he's that weak. I don't think he will ever get his strength back. 

After giving Bill his shower, then medications then his breakfast and cleaning up after his breakfast, I started the rounds to change some of our clocks. Not in the mood folks to change all our clocks.  I think our country should just keep Daylight Savings time year round, or Standard time or whatever. 

In a few minutes I'm having a four way FaceTime call with my friends Pat, Larry and Stuart. We have Delaware (me), Claymont, DE (Larry), Ft. Lauderdale, Fl (Stuart) and Hamilton, Ontario (Pat) covered. Other multiple FaceTime calls I make are with Glenn (Chatsworth, CA) and Don (Philadelphia). Such is the status of getting together with friends in the COVID area. Hopefully sometime in the near future, after most of us have received our vaccinations, we'll be able to get together in person. And wouldn't that be wonderful?

6 comments:

Jon said...

I'm glad you mentioned Daylight Saving Time, Ron, because I had completely forgotten about it. It is nothing but an annoyance and serves absolutely no plausible purpose. Like you, I have a lot of clocks - but I stopped turning them back and forth several years ago.

Ur-spo said...

I enjoyed speaking with you today

Ron said...

Jon,
I'm tempted to stop changing the times on my clocks. I love clocks but I hate changing the times twice a year. Each year it becomes more aggravating. They should just settle on one standardized time and stop this annoyance twice a year.
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
Always a pleasure to talk to you. I miss our Palm Springs get togethers. Perhaps next year we can make a date for Eggplant Parmesan at one of the local Palm Springs eateries.
Ron

nitewrit said...

Ron,

Fie on Daylight Saving Time! We no longer need this aconomyn. Now I get up in the dark again. I like it when it is light out there to greet me. There should be a law saying hospitals and medical things must spell out what you are being billed for. I think we only have two clocks left that must be set by hand.

Lar

Ron said...

Lar,
Daylight Savings time needs to go! Also, those hospital bills which are mysteries. They charge whatever they want. This country needs a standardized medical care system, now.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...