Monday, March 29, 2021

Fading

Bill and Me Christmas 1976 (?)

Finished up the last of digitizing our old slides and 8 MM and VHS videos to a flash drive and posted to You Tube. Some degradation of picture quality from so many transitions to new forms but the essence remains the same. This photo from Christmas 1976 (I think) of me and Bill at our home on Naudain Street In Philadelphia. Bill and I no longer look like this, we're almost unrecognizable now as we're fading out at the end of our lives now. But here's a photo memory of us for the ages long after we're gone.

It's appropriate that this old photo is fuzzed out. That's the way Bill and I are now as we near the end of our lives.

Bill has somewhat stabilized but he still needs help dressing, showering and with the bathroom (had another "accident" this morning). He also needs help with his medications, eating and direction. Some good news though, his edema open sores have healed and I don't have to dress his legs any more. His hospice nurse prescribed an antibiotic which seems to be working and Bill is walking on his own every day.

A new development though is Bill's speech. He's slurring most of his words now, so much so that sometimes I can't understand anything he's saying. I remember when our late friend Bob Mc. had the same problem. When he tried to talk, gibberish came out. Bill doesn't realize it. Part of the problem is that he's not wearing his false teeth. He's lost so much weight that his teeth don't stay in his mouth. He can only eat oatmeal and soup.

I like to keep my blog updated at least every two days but I've been tardy the last week because of Spring yard plantings. Our daffodils are in full bloom now. I also take this time of year for the opportunity to plant more daffodils. There's always room for more daffodils! Whoever ends up living here long after we're gone, and we will be gone sooner than later of that you can be sure, they'll have a cornucopia of daffodils. Ever notice how daffodils keep coming up every year even at abandoned home sites? The daffodils I plant now will be my legacy.



6 comments:

Woody in Ohio said...

Ron, Thank you for the update from Casa Tipton-Kelly. It is nice of you to give us a report on Bill's health issues and happenings. I would like to think that Bill is enjoying the return of spring and the parade of blossoms resulting from the multitude of bulbs you planted throughout the years. You are correct when you say they will be there for the ages to enjoy. Up a hollar on my farm in Kentucky are the ruins of the home farm. Among the stone foundations and chimney ruins are literally millions of naturalized heritage daffodils forming a sea of yellow covering 30 plus acres. It's a joy to think that my ancestors who settled the area in the early 1700's had planted a few bulbs at the gate post and well head and that it became a sea of golden yellow for the generations to come. That is what is happening at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Those who come after you will smile in amazement and wonder who created this version of Winterthur and Longwood Gardens in their front and backyard. Ron, I am wishing you and Bill a Happy Easter. I am hoping that the resurrection of sorts and renewal of life happening all around you will bring some happiness and a smile to Bill's face. In the end there comes a new beginning. Peace and Joy to all. Alleluia!

Ur-spo said...

Yes we all fade in time
It is hoped we live long and meaningful lives so that when the inevitable fade commences it has no regrets.

VRCooper said...

Ron,

Just checking in!

My heart is with you!

Take care of our Bill AND you!!

Victor
xoxo

Ron said...

Woody,
My daffodils are in full bloom now in all their glory on these past few sunny days. Daffodils make me smile. Every year I see more former homesites with daffodils blooming and no house. I would love to see that farm you mentioned in your comment that had thirty plus acres of blooming daffodils.
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
Yes, as my brother (#3) says, "Ronnie, we all get our turn" and indeed we do. I have no regrets. Are there some things I would have done differently? Absolutely, but I can confidently says I have no regrets. I've always learned from my mistakes and continue to do so. Thank you for your comment.
Ron

Ron said...

Victor,
We still here, settling into a livable if sometimes (this morning for instance) challenging routine. Bill's bathroom routine needs more work. But Bill is getting better but still weak. He will never be the man he was just three months ago but we're managing and making every day count. We are very fortunate to have this opportunity . So many in similar situations don't have this opportunity.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...