Thursday, February 18, 2021

Bill's Emergency Room Visit February 17, 2021



"Alicia", Bill's home health aide checking Bill's blood pressure yesterday

 Bill's medical care crises continues. 

Yesterday morning "Alicia", Bill's health aide of the day, checked his blood pressure as they always do when they come in for his home health care. She said his blood pressure was 88 over 62, too low. She advised me to go to the local Emergency Room immediately. My first response was "Oh no, another emergency room visit? What can they do?" I asked her "Do I have to?"  She said "It's up to you." She said whenever a patient's blood pressure is below 90 he should go to the local emergency room. 

What do I know? I bundled Bill up and got him ready for the ride to our local Emergency Room, a place I know well having visited there several times with my numerous kidney stone episodes. Of course I knew by driving in and not taking the ambulance we would be waiting in the Emergency Room for how long? But I couldn't justify taking an ambulance so I drove him to the Emergency Room.

Bill in the local Emergency Room yesterday, waiting for a "room" availability 

We arrived on the cold and windy day that was yesterday. On the best of days Bill is cold because of the blood thinner medication that he takes, yesterday he was freezing.

I checked in at the arrival desk and was told to take a seat to await a room, none was available at this time.

We settled in and thus began the Long Wait. Bill was getting colder and colder. I didn't want to be one of those unreasonable people in Emergency Rooms by demanding special attention but I had to do something because Bill was so cold. They gave me a blanket to put over him. I got another blanket out of out car. Bill was bundled up like a hostage. Still no room.

While waiting I called the VA Emergency Hotline that has to be called within 72 hours for veteran's emergency room coverage. Normally that call runs smoothly but, of course, yesterday that hit several kinks. After about twenty minutes on the phone I was given the authorization number for VA coverage for this emergency room visit. At least I made some good use of our long wait in the Emergency Room.

Finally, just as we were about to leave (I couldn't stay any longer because Bill was going crazy), a nurse came out and said they had a room available.

Bill "Freezing" yesterday waiting for a room availability at our local Emergency Room yesterday

They wheeled (wheelchair) Bill back into the room (actually a bay separated by curtains) and told me they would call me back when they had him ready. Bill can't communicate because of his hearing and cognitive problems, they realized they would need me back with him to calm him down and tell them what the problem was, if there was a problem.

They ran the usual series of test (EKG, blood test, urinalysis (which was a bear getting Bill to pee in the jug lying down, picture a fountain) and X-Ray. They found nothing out of the ordinary. 


Bill being checked out by the Emergency Room doctor

The ER doctor came back and explained to me that Bill's blood pressure probably went down because of the medication he's  taking for his atrial fibrillation (metoprolol tartrate 25 MG). Bill has to take that medication so he doesn't have another blackout that caused him to fall twice in a couple of days last month, resulting in bleeding in his brain. 

The ER doctor contacted Bill's VA doctor and she advised to cut his "meta" pill dosage in half, which is what I did last night.

We returned home about 4:30 PM, after spending the whole day at the Emergency Room, not having lunch and both of us very stressed out.

What did I learn from yesterday's episode? I have determined to remove Bill from home health care for physical and occupation therapy and put him on hospice home health care. We can't be running to the Emergency Room every time is blood pressure dips below 90. Yesterday just about did both of us in. If Bill loses me, he's done. I have to make this hard choice for both of us and our health. 

The home health aide yesterday was doing what she is paid to do, following her parameters. If she didn't she and the home health aide company could be sued. I understand that. That home health aide company and the Emergency Room is to keep Bill alive. I have to transition to hospice care to keep Bill comfortable. Bill is 92 years old, greatly weakened and will never be the person he was just a few months ago. Yesterday, just before the home health aide person came in, Bill and I were actually settling into a routine, albeit a greatly different one that we had before Bill's accident last month. Yesterday, with that Emergency Room visit, that was greatly upended for what reason? Following protocol for keeping him alive.  

There comes a time when one realizes that our life will never be what it was before. I have come to that realization. I am so thankful that I am one of the lucky few that is able to have my loved one here at our home where he is happy and comfortable. I am doing everything I can to make Bill's remaining days comfortable. I just couldn't bear the idea of Bill dying in an impersonal rehab facility, alone and abandoned. But at the same time I have to consider my health too. If I'm not around there is no one to take care of Bill. We're both done. At least with hospice care we can develop a routine until the End, however long that is.

Today was so much different than yesterday. Bill is even going to the bathroom by himself. I was just too tired to help him last night. I noticed this morning that he got everything in his pee jug in his downstairs bathroom. He's also using the upstairs bathroom. He still needs help getting up from the toilet for his Number Two's. I installed a special apparatus to help him with that. He hasn't tried it yet but I'm confident it will work. I'm not good at these handyman jobs but I'm managing, much to my surprise. I did ask my local hired handyman to stop by this weekend to tighten up what I installed and maybe a new grab bar in the bathroom.


New toiled contraption with handrails for Bill

The weather today was freezing rain. Thank goodness we have power, unlike those poor folks in Texas who have that God awful incompetent Republican government that has caused thousands of Texans to loose power and causes unnecessary deaths because of their lack of foresight. The Texas Republicans are more concerned about cultural issues than they are about protecting their citizens from harm. Today's Republican Party should go to hell for what they have done to this country but this is another whole subject I'm just too tired to rant about now. I have more immediate problems. I haven't even gotten my COVID shot yet because our Delaware (Democrat) governor hasn't figured out how to make it easier for Delawareans to get COVID vaccinations. Equal opportunity incompetence. 

For the first time in weeks, I was about to take an afternoon nap, albeit a short one. Still, a nap which refreshes me and gives me a jump start on the rest of the day. Usually I go to bed at night around eleven or twelve. These past two weeks I've been going to bed at 8:30 and 9:00 and sleeping through, less several pee breaks during the night, until the morning.

Bill is out in the sun room napping now. Earlier, he was up and about without his walker, walking around the house and visiting his workshop in the basement. We had a shower (I helped him) this morning which wasn't too painful for Bill. He even found his old moccasins and put them on, thus for the first time not padding around the house in those non skid socks we got from the rehab hospital. And a sure sign that Bill is returning to his old way, he even admonished me for not pulling my car far enough into the garage, that's Bill always behind me correcting me. Of course I didn't pull the car all the way into our garage because I wanted to give him enough room to walk around the front of my car but he wasn't hearing that. Bill default position is too correct me. I'm used to it after fifty-six years. You should see us driving, Bill is the typical back seat driver. How many times have I offered to pull the car over to the side of the road and let him drive? I tell him "Either I drive this car or you do, we both can't drive it at the same time."

We didn't go for out daily drive today because of the rain and ice outside. We don't need any accidents now that our life here at home is so precarious. We have no backup plan. It's just us. My turn caring for Bill the same way he did when I tore my quadricep leg muscle five years ago.

Today would have been one of my regular work days at the hotel, 3 PM to 11 PM shift.  I do miss my job. Working two days a week was the perfect balance of my life. Caring for Bill here at home is the new "balance" of my life. I am working on making it as workable as possible so we both can have a measure of peace and serenity at this time of our lives, the Final Chapter of our great love story. And that it is folks. These days I often think of what a wonderful life I've had with Bill over the past fifty-six years. Of course I block out the disagreeable times, those "bumps" in our relationship (and who doesn't have "bumps" in their relationships?) We both have had a fabulous life and now we're bringing it to a fabulous ending. Off into the sunset, me and Bill.


Bill in his hometown of Toccoa, Georgia April 23, 2013 during our last trip South. Oh how he loved those trips. It's a shame we can't do them anymore. So sad. 




15 comments:

Woody in Ohio said...

I'm proud of you Ron Tipton. No man could ask for a better loving, caring, and understanding husband than the one that you have been to Bill. Keep him warm, safe and comfortable. Make sure you eat, get a little Ron time, and adequate restful sleep. Lots of love from Ohio.

Ron said...

Woody,
Last night I got a good sleep. I let Bill on his own to go to the bathroom. Of course there is some pee on the floor but I clean it up, it's a tile floor so it's easy to clean up. This is a very tough time in Bill's life. I feel so bad for him because he quality of life is so greatly diminished. He can't do what he used to do like collecting the weekly trash and other household maintenance chores. He really doesn't want to be sleeping most of the day but that is his life now. I am so thankful that I have him here at home where he is comfortable while awaiting the end of his life. He will never get better, maybe improve his mobility but he won't be the old Bill which I think he knows and that is what frustrates him. He often said how "lucky" his Mother was to die quickly at the age of 54 from a brain aneurism. All this is part of life. We have enjoyed many good years for which I am so thankful.
Ron

Anonymous said...

You are both doing the best that you can. Good job!

Tip from my Lessons Learned file (not that you need anything more to do - just a "someday when I may have time" item): keep a soft side cooler in the car at all times stocked with shelf stable snacks/Cliff bars and bottled water/cans of iced tea/coffee/protein supplement drinks. That way, when things 'turn' you and Bill can at least hold off the hangries and remain somewhat more clear headed as you approach whatever the next issue of the day is. If it is always in the car, you don't have to think about it unless you need to replenish it.

Will Jay

Anonymous said...

You are making good decisions and adapting well as things change there. I think you are doing really good under the conditions you are facing. Bill is really lucky to have you there at this point in his life. Even as rough as things are you appreciate having him with you. Keep up the good work. Thanks for taking us along on this journey. We all will face something like this eventually.

Jim

lexie said...

How blessed both Bill and you are. You made the hard decision that was needed. When my dad started in home hospice his quality of life improved.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of your journey.

VRCooper said...

Ron,

I am glad that you have realized that your health is important as well as Bill's.

Yes, your peeps want Bill's days to be comfortable and pain-free. BUT caregivers have to make that hard choice. Taking Bill to the hospital often, back and forth, just wears both of you out. Maybe hospice is the right choice.

I wish Bill nothing but the best. Being in healthcare and addressing patients from the beginning of life to the end, I want them to get well and be pain-free. Whatever fate has for them I want them to as much as pain-free as possible and comfortable. And I don't want them drugged out of their minds either. A good balance.

You are a good egg. Thanks for taking care of OUR Bill.

Victor
XO

Anonymous said...

Bill, A female friend of mine faced the same heart rending choice - care for her mother at home or transfer her to a hospice. She decided on the former and, as she later told me after it was all over, it was the worst decision she had ever made, given that - as she subsequently realized - her mother gained nothing from it and she damaged her own health. I deeply admire your courage and your honesty in making this decision. Roderick

Ron said...

Woody,
Today we began transitioning Bill into hospice home health care from his previous physical and occupational home health care. We can't go to the emergency room every time his blood pressure is low. with hospice, I'll get a bit of a break too, which is helpful not only for me but so I can be available for Bill.
Thanks for your comment.
Ron

Ron said...

Will Jay,
Thank you for your suggestion. Today we began transitioning Bill to hospice home health care. We can't go to the Emergency Room anymore.
Ron

Ron said...

Jim,
Today we began transitioning Bill to hospice home health care. No more emergency room visits every time his blood pressure is low. I believe this is a more realistic approach to where Bill is now. He's dying. My goal is to make him as comfortable as possible and keep him home where he is the happiest.
Ron

Ron said...

lexie,
I talked to Bill's doctor today and started the procedure for his hospice home health care. Someone should be in next week. No more emergency room visits. That one on Wednesday almost did us both in.
Ron

Ron said...

Roderick,
I made the decision today to put Bill under home hospice care. that last visit to the emergency room just about did us in.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Dear Ron

It must have been a very hard decision for you to make regarding Bill but I believe it is the correct one because it comes from your heart.
You measure your success in life by the people you want to have love you who actually do love you.
There is little doubt that your and Bill's lives have been a success.
I know you will make Bill as comfortable as you can and you will save him the indignity of being poked and prodded in a place no one wants to be.
You have done the right thing.

Sending love and support from across the sea.

Best wishes

Jacinta.

Elle Clancy said...

I agree so much with Jacinta. It is all about dignity at this time. You are doing the right thing, I think. Hugs from Ohio!

Ur-spo said...

Blogger.com seems to be eating my comments again - frustrating as I want you to know I am watching and thinking of Bill.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...