Another Black Friday has arrived.
![]() |
| Me at Ft. Meade Army barracks smoking a cigarette 1962 |
One guest called from the suite, which is an apartment that rents for $525 a night plus tax. He wanted to know if I had a vacuum cleaner and could I deliver it to him. I told him "Yes, I have a vacuum cleaner but I can't do the stairs to the suite" (which is outside and up two flights of stairs). He said "No problem, I'll come over and pick it up."
He came over to pick up the vacuum cleaner. I asked him where he was from and why was he visiting Lewes. He said his son is stationed at Ft. Meade Maryland and works at the NSA (National Security Agency). Small world! I told him when I was in the Army (1960-1963) I was also stationed at Ft. Meade and worked at the National Security Agency. He said "Oh! You have to come back to the suite with me and tell that to my son!" I did and I found out his son is in the Navy. When I was at Ft. Meade, all branches of the service were represented, our concert barracks were in a row. The Marine barracks first, then Navy followed by the Army barracks and then the Air Force. The family was from Washington State. I told them that last year their Senator Patty Murray had stayed at the hotel. His wife asked me "How did you know our senator is Patty Murray?" I told him "I follow politics and I know all the senators."
![]() |
| Senator Patty Murray -D. Washington |
This brief interaction with guests of the hotel where I work is one of the reasons I continue to work even as I enter the eight decade of my life. Thanksgiving is a day of loneliness for many. That often includes me.
For years now I don't do anything special for Thanksgiving. I would have loved to have a couple of slices of roast turkey with stuffing, candied yams, cranberry sauce, and yes green bean casserole but my Thanksgivings at this time of my life, is not to be. I used to roast a turkey years ago but Bill doesn't like turkey. I "celebrate" my Thanksgivings like I did yesterday, sharing life with hotel guests like I did last night. One year one of my co-workers felt sorry for me and brought me in a plate of roast turkey with all the fixings. That was nice.
Pat just called on FaceTime. Have to go!



7 comments:
Ron...You are like me...I have been in healthcare for over 20 years...I have worked my way up from patient care to management...I always love meeting patients where they are at...When I was a medic in the Air Force my first assignment was Wiesbaden, Germany...There we took care of all branches of military-and Europe- on the surgical floor...Our patients had to go from their hospital bed to work...So many of our patients were convalescing 1 week or more after surgery...It was fun getting to know them and what they did in the military and what went on in their personal lives...I was known for my tact of getting a patient to tell me anything...Fast forward to today where I am looking for management/operations employment and to hold me over I am temporarily working for the health department doing case investigations and contact tracing for COVID-19...It is bringing me back to my patient care days...I love talking to patients/clients and finding a little about them and what they do in life...It is rewarding...I mistakenly called a client back yesterday and just said "I am sorry, I called the wrong number...He recognized my voice and chuckled and said "I thought you were calling back to talk some more."...Working with the public can be rewarding...Be well...
Ron
I am always glad to know that you continue to post to your blog... its special .. I enjoy reading it
Tom
"Tommy",
I may take pauses in posting to my blog but I'll always post as long as I am able to. Posting is therapeutic for me plus a love all my blog followers. Life isn't so lonely now, especially in my old age. Thanks for your comment.
Ron
VRC-Do You!
Indeed wee are alike in that we love interacting with the public in our jobs. I tried retiring when we moved to Delaware. that only lasted for six months. I felt like I was slowly dying. I need the stimulus of interacting with the public. Makes me feel alive and I am always interested in what others do, where they are from and what their lives are like. Curiosity, I've always been curious.
Ron
Good for you on all these accounts !
Always good to hear from you old friend Ur-spo!
Informative post regarding arts. If you have such skills and want to get Tips for Video Interviewing in arts company then StaffMerge is the highly recommended online job board during COVID-19.
Post a Comment