Pat's neighbor Samantha who lives on the other side of his squatter neighbor has started a petition to get the Hamilton, Ontario City government to DO SOMETHING to remove his squatter neighbors.
Even though readers of my blog don't live in Pat's neighborhood of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada I'm sure they can sympathize with Pat and his neighbor Samantha who have a squatter neighbor living right in between their two small adorable houses right in downtown Hamilton. The obviously criminal activity that their squatter neighbors are engaged in is bad enough but the eyesore of their property is the stuff of nightmares of having someone like that for a neighbor.
Pat's neighbor Samantha is trying to gather enough signatures on her petition to get the attention of the Hamilton City government. Please consider signing this petition. Click HERE.
That Pat and his neighbor Samantha and the rest of the neighborhood have to live with squatters in their midst and obvious illegal activity (drugs, stolen goods, noise in the middle of the night) is a damn shame. One would think that the city government of Hamilton's responsibility would be to at least enforce their laws. Pat and his neighbor Sam have been trying for over a year now to get the Hamilton city government to do something. Perhaps this extra pressure of a petition with finally ignite them into protecting their law abiding tax paying citizens and get those squatters out of there and condemn that property. I know I have an international following on this blog. Help me out folks! Help Pat and his neighbor Samantha.
Thank you!
4 comments:
Hiya Ron
I am pleased you are still fighting the good fight.
I need to say something to you though. People like myself will not sign a petition to have people removed from having a roof over their head because they are regarded as 'anti social'
There is a need for people to understand how and why this situation has occurred.
Maybe one of the couple is being domestically abused,hence the shouting and banging. Drink and drug taking is usually as a result of bad trauma from something. Drink/drugs relaxes the 'fear' chemical in the brain. Admittedly not all people who have been through trauma turn to drink and/or drugs but remember that some people are not as strong as others. I find too many times that when we are climbing the mountain of life we are all looking up. In times of trouble during that climb we want someone to reach out a hand and pull us up. Sometimes we forget to look down to pull up those behind us that are more vulnerable.
Perhaps it might be an idea for Pat to take the more gentle approach? Maybe get the community together and ask the noisy neighbours kindly if they need anything? Maybe pop round with a cake he made or a nice homemade meal? Maybe if they speak with him he could subtly say that perhaps they might want himself and the neighbours to help with the gardening and clearing of the property? This would be to everyone's benefit.
Maybe with Pat being the kind man he is,may make the more vulnerable in society recognise that they are valued and are worthy but that they may just need a helping hand.
Tell Pat to ask them if they need any help in any way or just a kind ear to listen.
If they punch him on the nose and swear profanities at him after this then he should take this more hard approach.
Much love to you Ron my friend. Keep going on in that mountain of life.
Good luck
Jacinta.
Jacinta,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments on Pat's situation. Pat is a very kind person and he has already tried the "kind" approach as has his neighbor Samantha. It is not working. Many years ago (1980), twice I tried to "save" (on different occasions) a homeless person who was an alcoholic and into drugs. Our new Pennsylvania house construction wasn't completed but I had already sold our Philadelphia house. Bill moved to our unfinished Pennsylvania house with our dogs and I took a year's lease on an apartment in center city Philly to walk to work. Bill had taken early retirement at my suggestion. Bill couldn't even use the toilet, he had to "go" in the woods. While I had this apartment which I only used during the week, I let "Brad" stay here. Brad was kicked out of his apartment that he was sharing with another guy. He had moved from his home in Cincinnati to live with this guy. It didn't work out because of the drugs and no job. I met Brad in a bar when he was homeless. I let him stay in my apartment. It was a disaster. A.DISASTER. I finally had to buy him a one way ticket to his home in Cincinnati. About six years ago he died. His niece told me. I asked her if Brad had ever worked. She said he had not. NEVER. Of course I didn't learn my lesson and a few months later I encountered a similar situation. Again, this guy's name was "Ed." I met him in a bar. I wasn't looking to meet homeless people but that's the way it turned out. As a matter of fact, both guys approached me. Maybe the word was out that I had an apartment. Well, anyway "Ed" had been kicked out of his living arrangement with his two roommates. I let him stay in my apartment until he found a new place to live. Another disaster. In addition to being a terrible person who stole from me, he almost set my apartment on fire by falling asleep with a cigarette in his hand. I still have the burned doily that my Mother made for me to remind me. I asked him to leave. He didn't want to leave. I finally got him out, When I told a friend what happened he told me that's why his two roommates kicked him out. He also fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand and DID start a fire in their apartment. Thankfully there was minimal damage and no one was hurt. After I got him out of my apartment he came into my workplace a few weeks later and tried to blackmail me for $2000 or else he was going to tell my boss I was gay. It didn't work. My boss at that time knew I was gay. Then he threatened to out my best friend Bob to his Mother. I told Bob and Bob sent him a message which I won't repeat here but it took care of "Eddie" forever. And that Jacinta was my two attempts to "help" someone who had addiction problems. They have a problem. A problem that I couldn't solve. Pat has a problem with his neighbors. All Pat wants is his quality of life back. His neighbors are living in a house that is unfit for human habitation and they are obviously into criminal activity. I doubt if Pat could do anything to help them. Perhaps the city of Hamilton of the government of Ontario can help his neighbors who have an addiction problem. Pat and his neighbor or Samantha just want their life back.
Ron
I'm not a blogger and I never have commented before- I discovered your blog years ago from another blogger that I follow and have been reading ever since. It's very unfair that anyone to have to live like your friends!! I have signed the petition. I hope justice is served. Good luck to all.
Louise,
Thank you for signing the petition. Pat is down here for a visit along with our friend Glenn. I hope when he returns to his home there is some progress in cleaning out that mess next door to him. No one should have to live like that.
Ron
Post a Comment