![]() |
| Glenn and Pat with me in my hospital bed Sunday June 16 2024 |
Pat and Glenn were here for ten days but what a ten days we had!
I am just briefly writing about their visit now because I am still recovering. Not only from their fabulous ten dat visit to Casa Tipton-Kelly and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware but also their visit to me in the hospital where I had a two night three day stay. Yes folks, I ended up in the hospital for three days!
What happened? You'll never believe it but when we were exiting the Rehoboth Beach Walmart after purchasing a game of Clue, and while I was walking like an old man behind Pat and Glenn who were heavily involved in a discussion about a row of two rubber decks on the dashboard of a Jeep in the parking lot, I crumple up like a piece of paper and passed out backwards on the heat infused black macadam parking lot. Pat and Glenn didn't even know I was on my back, totally passed out until a car beeped its horn to get their attention that their friend (me) was unconscious on his back in the parking lot, blocking cars trying to make an exit out of the parking lot.
Pat told me he rushed to my body to get me up along with Glenn. I don't even remember passing out, only slowly coming to by Pat asking me "Are you all right Ron" over and over again.
I remember nothing about passing out except thinking about the rubber duckie Jeep story then an image of steel doors with vertical teeth coming together and be trying to get through those doors before they closed. Yes, what did THAT image come from?
As Pat and Glenn helped me up I felt the back of my head and it was sticky with my blood. And my head hurt. Later I found out I had a brush burn on my left elbow and low left back.
I was woozy. I felt like I was drunk. Just the day before I had my colonoscopy (which came out fine, only two small polyps). The sun was hot. We were up late the previous night. I wasn't getting my daily naps.
Pat and Glenn kept asking me is I was all right. I was going to go home but then I thought of the incident with Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson when she fell backwards after a skiing accident (Death. On 16 March 2009, Richardson sustained a head injury when she fell while taking a beginner skiing lesson at the Mont Tremblant Resort, about 130 kilometres (81 mi) from Montreal. At first, Richardson refused any medical help but complained of a severe headache about two hours after the accident.) and thought she was all right but ended up dying about twenty-four hours later because she had a brain hemorrhage that was slowly bleeding in her skull and she was unaware that it was bleeding. I decided to go to the nearest walk-in clinic.
At the walk-in clinic they checked my bloody head and decided to send me to the Emergency Room. There I went and spent the next two nights and three days going through a series of tests including a brain Cat-scan, stress test both on the treadmill and nuclear. Echo gram and some other tests which I can't remember now. I pretty much ran the gamut of tests. The blood on the back of my head was superficial. It still hurts but it doesn't look like I caused any serious internal injuries in my brain with my collapse in the Walmart parking. Oh the embarrassment, collapsing in the Walmart parking lot? Well, I guess it could have been IN Walmart itself of even at The Nook where we had breakfast earlier.
They found nothing but I am wearing an heart monitor for the next ten days and I have had my driving privileges suspended indefinitely. I see my cardiologist next week for further evaluation and hopefully have my driving privileges returned. I HOPE!
I was so thankful to get out of the hospital yesterday even though they treated me very well. I don't like hospitals. I've spent too much time in them in my lifetime.
I'm taking it easy now. Pat Glenn and I did play "Clue" (first time for me, I loved it and actually won my first game!) We went out to dinner last night at the Tequila Real in Milton. A lovely summer evening.
Pat and Glenn left this morning. In spite of all my drama in collapsing after trying to act like the 27 year old I think I am in my mind but in actually I'm an 82 year old man trying to cram too much in a short period of time on a hot and humid summer day one day after a body cleansing colonoscopy.
More.....much more in future blog posts about Pat and Glenn's visit. They were wonderful and in spite of the brief stint in the hospital by yours truly we all had a wonderful time. Actually, we had a FABULOUS time!

18 comments:
I’m sorry to hear about your Walmart parking lot fainting experience and your hospital stay with all the tests. Other than that, it sounds like you had a nice visit from your friends. I look forward to hearing more about their visit. Is it the cardiologist that is telling you not to drive? Is that really an official order? Did someone take your license from you? How will you obtain groceries and other things you need? I suspect the colonoscopy trauma coupled with a lack of sleep (no naps) caused the event. Us old folks need our rest. I hope you can put the whole thing behind you quickly.
Jim
Jim,
My cardiologist is telling me not to drive. It's not an official order? I still have my driver's license, thank goodness. I have an appointment with him this Wednesday, June 26th. I'm feeling much better now. I'm almost 1005 convinced my fainting had to do with a combination of the preparation for my colonoscopy, all the walking in the hot sun I did with Pat and Glenn, and lack of rest (my daily naps) and staying up so late at night. I'm feekubg nt brink self now.
Other than my fainting episode, we had a fantastic visit. Pat, Glenn and I get along so well. I can't wait until we do it again, probably at Glenn's place in Palm Springs the February. Pat will probably visit me one more time this year here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.
Ron
Okay! Glad you all had fun, so nice to have friends over. Just remember to pace yourself….Olivia
Dear lord, Ron. Glad you got yourself checked out. Sounds like a combination of all those things you mentioned but never hurts to be sure. I vividly remember when Natasha Richardson died. So tragic. I'm glad you were surrounded by good people to help you.
And I agree: colonoscopies are for the birds. I hate them, and I'm 61. My mom and dad each had their last one in their early 80s; also had some issues (b/c of their medications and reactions, etc.). Told their doctor that was it; no more colonoscopies. They didn't care; they were never doing them again.
Any news on Pat's hideous neighbors? I signed the petition awhile back. Hope they can get something done.
Take care!
I'm so sorry to hear this news- - what a horrible and frightening ordeal! I'm glad that you were treated in the hospital and given tests - - but it's wonderful that you're back home. Please keep us updated.
Big Hugs, Jon
I'm so sorry to hear of your 'event'. That's scary. I'm glad everything checked out OK. Sounds like a combination of heat and post colonoscopy. You were probably running on low anyhow with all the activities and no naps. As someone else said....gotta pace yourself and hydrate, esp. with this heat! I'm happy you had a great time with your company. Look forward to hearing about it. Take care.
Paranormal John
Olivia,
Good advice! Pace myself! I should have known better. I just can't get it in my thick head that I'm 82 years old. I still think I'm about twenty-seven years old.
Ron
Elle,
I'm glad I got myself checked out too! I've been wondering for a few years now if I had any clogged arteries. I had the full stress test including the treadmill (which I hate) and the nuclear which they put some substance in your blood stream to check out the flow to make sure there are no obstructions. I'm all clear. I'm just old and the combination of a recent colonoscopy, the heat, little rest and my age just caught up with me. Thank goodness I didn't injure myself more seriously when I crumbled to the ground outside Walmart. Of all places to crumple huh?
Ron
Jon,
I bet I was a sight flat on my back in that summertime hot as hell macadam Walmart parking lot. OF all places for me to hit the ground. We had just had a fancy breakfast at Payneter's Mill. Imagine if I went out there Something for the folks to talk about.
I feel much better now but I am definitely pacing myself. I am not 27 years old (which I like to think I am) but instead an OLD MAN eighty-two years old with a bad ticker (extra heartbeat). I'll be glad when I can get my driving privileges back though. Hopefully this Wednesday when I visit my cardiologist.
I haven't been blog reading for awhile. I have to stop around your blog. I actually only read two or three other blogs.
Hope all is well with you Jon. We continue our adventures don't we?
Ron
Ron, I’d been wondering how you were doing assuming you were busy having fun. So I was shocked today to see your post with photo of you laid up in the hospital. After reading through, I’m relieved you’re on the mend. I think you’ve figured out the contributing causes to your blackout spell. But don’t overlook that you also are still in the early months of mourning and grieving for Bill. We grievers often forget that it’s a physical and debilitating condition, not just thoughts and feelings. We just need to always factor that into our self care plan. Love and best wishes for your recuperation.
Listen old man you are not 40 anymore!!
I am so glad to see that you are ok!
I am sure you gave Glenn and Pat a scare!
I kept reading to find the word dehydrated. With that heat dome and the usually hot and humid weather in your neck of the woods it would seem to be the case. Coupled with a recent colonoscopy and running around town like a 40 year old could be another reason.
I am happy to see that you are recovering!
You are a tough old bird.
Don’t do this to us. I have not purchased my black frock and veil yet!!
Any updates on Pat’s situation at home? He should sell and move in with you. I kid!!
Be well, rest, stay cool, and pace yourself!!
XO
Victor
PS-I am responding to you on my phone. My 13 year old laptop was a the fritz so I purchased a new one but that is defective so we had to send it back. On Thursday the laptop finally crashed. It just won’t start up. It’s trying. The new one should be here on Monday. Damn that federal holiday.
GOOD GRAVY!! I am so relieved that you are well! You are never boring, Mr Ron! So important that you are checked after a fall. In the last year, both of my parents have each taken a fall, and spent some time in the hospital afterwards(both are 85 yrs, and a bit unsteady, as well as other health issues). Better to be safe than sorry. You have had quite an eventful year thus far...all of that can have physical effects also. Take care & be safe...hugs...Michele
I
At this age, it’s always something. Sounds like you’re dehydrated. Take care.
Vic,
No doubt about it, I over extended myself! I have my wings clipped now by having my driving restriction. I see my cardiologist this Wednesday. Hopefully I can get my driving privileges back. And yes, I did give Pat and Glenn a scare. Some host I am!
Ron
Mary,
I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated. That and a combination of just having undergone a colonoscopy (my system emptied out), no daily naps, staying up way too late and all that walking in the hot sun. My body finally said "STOP! WE'RE DONE HERE!" I think I've learned my lesson, I'm not a kid anymore. Just an old man trying to get another day of life in.
Ron
Ivy,
You are definitely on to something about my grieving for Bill contributing to my collapse. I didn't want to keep posting about my grieving but I'm still grieving a lot for Bill. I'll never be the same without him. I miss him more than I ever thought possible. My heart is broken. Thank God I have Pat and friends like Glenn, who is still grieving for the loss of his partner Michael over three years ago.
Their is it was such a great help to me in taking miming off of BillTheir visit was such a great help to me taking my mind off of Bill. I know now I will never get over Bill not being in my life but I must forge ahead of what is left of my life and I am thankful I have friends like Pat and Glenn to help me.
Ron
Michelle,
No one was more surprised than me that I just conked out in the Walmart parking lot. As Spo says "Oh, the embarrassment." Some host I was huh? I am so thankful that Pat and Glenn were with me during this time. They're gone now (they left Thursday), back to there respective homes in California and Canada. We all had such a great visit. I am eagerly looking forward to them coming back for another visit soon.
Ron
Oh no , the worried faces of your two friends !
This colonoscopie and the visit too soon after another , for sure !
At 70 I have this golden rule : one day a lot of activity , the next day total rest .
And so on .
At our age your body need much more time to recuperate , Ron .
But in the end this visit was a succes and there must have been happy faces too . F
Post a Comment