Monday, January 29, 2024

Update On Bill's Condition

 

Wedding Day picture July 3, 2013 Georgetown Circle, Georgetown, Delaware


Bill is slipping.

This past week his cognitive dissonance has increased. Whereas he was confused around four o'clock in the afternoon after I got up from my nap, now his dementia is showing itself at two o'clock or thereabouts. He's losing track of time. He's getting his days and night's mixed up. 

I just left him in his bedroom now. Right now the time is 10:04 AM and he would be sitting in his recliner in our sunroom. Instead when I went to get him up this morning for his breakfast, he wanted to sleep "another hour or so." That's where he is now, sleeping in his bedroom. 

Last night he didn't want his dinner which is a high protein egg nog smoothie. No breakfast this morning. He says he's "not hungry." After I complete this blog I'll go down to his bedroom and get him up for lunch. I hope he's able to eat something.

He's also having problems swallowing, more so this past week. There is no cure for the swallowing. He's on a total liquid diet now. The past two days he's been spitting out most of what he's trying to swallow. This problem with his eating reminded me of my cousin Bud who died two weeks ago. Before his died he refused to eat anymore. 

I became so concerned that I called Delaware Hospice. I checked online the signs of imminent death and Bill was hitting all those markers. 

A Delaware Hospice nurse came over last night and checked Bill's vitals. His vitals looked good. She said he's just probably "plateauing at a different level." 

This morning Bill's VA nurse also called. I updated her on Bill's condition. We agreed to monitor him now. 

Our main concern is keeping Bill here at home where he is most comfortable. I don't want Bill's last days to be spent in a strange place. My brothers and I promised our Mother that we wouldn't put her in a nursing home. We were able to keep that promise to her, she died on her own bed in my brother's home. She would have preferred her own home but we weren't able to do that but we did the next best thing.

Bill is ready to go. I am ready for him to go to, as ready as I'll ever be. I'm trying to get myself ready for when he is no longer with me. As I told Bill many times in the past months as I tried to reassure him that he would not "miss" me when he goes, "You won't miss anything Bill. When you go you'll know nothing. At best you'll be reborn with a whole new fresh memory and life. I'm the one who is going to miss you."

We're all going to die. Most of us don't know when. Bill has a good idea that his time is arriving. 

Three years ago when I was given the option to airlift Bill to the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia because of his stroke and subsequent fall where he caused himself a brain injury, I thought I had lost him then. That's why I gave the go ahead for the helicopter ride to Philly which only took a half an hour versus an ambulance ride which would take two and a half hours that I was told he probably "wouldn't survive."

I made the right decision and since then I've had another three wonderful years with this man, who has been my life's savior. Without Bill in my life I would have been nothing. Bill came into my life when I was at a crossroads. He has saved me multiple times over the past fifty-nine years by always being my steady rock as I often veered towards hasty and unwise decisions. I can hardly beat to think of my life without Bill but I must.

I will end this post with one of the daily mediations that I receive from the James Terry Funeral home. The same funeral home that performed the services for both of my parents and where I have indicated that my final services will be performed. Nearby that funeral home in  I have two beautiful lots in the Northwood Cemetery that overlook my hometown of Downingtown, Pennsylvania. That will be our final resting place, on a hill overlooking the town that was our home together for twenty-five magical years and which Bill misses to this day. Yes, Bill and I will return home to Pennsylvania, a wish he has often expressed during the eighteen years we have lived in Delaware.

To lose someone who was part of your daily life is unspeakably difficult. How can you make decisions, share your thoughts, or works through your dilemmas with anyone else in the same way?

You can never replace the relationship you lost. It is a sacred entity in and of itself. You can, however, forage a new path that brings out different strengths and aspects of yourself you may not have known. Do not be afraid to discover these new pathways. This loss, while terrible, will press you to grow as a person. 

18 comments:

ItsyBitsy Living said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I experienced losing my father the same way. Just remember the wonderful years you have/had together. When it is time you both will know. I have read your blog for years and you have done your best to keep him comfortable.

kent said...

Hugs to you both.

VRCooper said...

Wishing you peace and comfort.

Please keep Bill as comfortable and pain-free as possible.

Take one day at a time and try to remember all the good times that you had together and to bring an even wider smile to your face remember the times he got you out of a pickle. We already know that you are not the angel you claim to be.

Be well

Ivy Green said...

This is a beautiful reading, Ron, I thank you for it. We, your dedicated readers, support and love you through these difficult days.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and meaningful life you two have had His memory, when he passes, should always be a blessing to you

Michele said...

Just know that we are thinking of you, and of Bill. Thank you for sharing your life together with all of us. My wish for both of you is peace, and of course love. Your love for eachother has been an example for all of us.

Jon said...

This is such a beautiful post, Ron, and I can empathize with your thoughts. It is an extremely difficult time, but your strength will carry you through. The last two paragraphs are treasures. New pathways await you.
You're in my thoughts and prayers. Jon

Ron said...

Itsy Bitsy Living,
Being a caregiver is one of the biggest challenges of my life but I am thankful that I have the opportunity to take care of Bill here at our home. My goal and wish is to keep him as comfortable as possible until he passes. Thank you so much for your comment and following my blog all these years.

Ron

Ron said...

Kent,
Thank you for your hugs!
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Each day is a challenge. Yesterday das particularly so (which I haven't written about.....yet). Even though taking care of Bill is one of the biggest challenges of my life, I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to take care of him here at our home.
Angel Ron

Ron said...

Ivy Green,
I do so appreciate the faithful longtime readers of my blog and their support they are giving me at this difficult time of my life. Thank you so much.
Ron

Ron said...

Michelle,
Each day taking care of Blll is a continuing challenge. A challenge I am privileged to have. I could not bear to think of Bill spending his final days in some institution. That is my and our goal, to keep him here at home until his last day when he passes peacefully over the Rainbow Bridge to be reunited with his dogs.
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
Thank you so much for your encouraging comment. You understand.
Ron

Ron said...

Anonymous,
Indeed Bill and I have made many memories, memories that will live on after he is gone. I will always treasure those memories.
Ron

Paul Forster said...

This is a beautiful and sad post, Ron! How wonderful that you and Bill have had so many loving years together. I expect that makes it more the harder! I have started a new chapter in my life. If you want to follow me here is my address https://super-express24.blogspot.com/

Paul Forster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ur-spo said...

Blogger ate my comment.
I said you two are so fortunate to have/had each other.

Ron said...

Paul,
Thank you for your comment. I'll check out your new blog.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...