| From left to right, my Aunt Jeanette, me and my Mother 2005 |
Of course not.
There are many senior nursing homes and assisted living facilities that are very good and fulfill a need for many seniors and their families at the end of their life.
I may have inadvertently perpetuated the belief that ALL such facilities are bad. They are not.
Like anything in life there are good places, some not so good and some awful. Hopefully the awful places are found out quickly and put out of business.
I do speak from experience about such facilities.
My Mother's older sister (see photo above) lived in one such facility for over seven years. She lived in the dementia unit (the one with the locked doors and alarms that go off if one of the residents decided to take a walk). She was treated well, had her own room and always seemed happy when we visited even though she didn't know who we were. Aunt Jeanette lived at that facility for over seven years. When she ran out of money ($424,000 later) she was sent to a state run facility that Medicaid paid for. She died within months of living in the new facility.
When my Aunt Jeanette lived at the facility (I will not mention the name) we could visit anytime unannounced. The facility was always very clean. The staff was always very accommodating and seemed to genuinely care for the residents.
They never had to sedate my Aunt Jeanette but I did observe other residents who appeared to be heavily sedated. I know if Bill was in such a facility they would sedate him. They did for the two weeks he was in rehab after his strokes. When I confronted his doctor he claimed he didn't but a few minutes later I overheard his doctor telling the nurse to "cut back" his "medication." Yes, the doctor lied to me. To my face.
My friends Bob and Jim (both deceased now) were in an assisted living facility. Again, a very nice facility which I could visit anytime and often did. Jim was fine with the facility but my friend Bob was always attempting to escape.
One time Bill had to pull Bob back in by the seat of his pants when Bob tried to make a break for it. I knew Bob well. He was my best friend since 1960. He always vowed he would never go into such a facility. But his Parkinson's disease gradually took over. The last time I saw Bob he was in a nursing home. Pat and I saw him in the dayroom which was straight out of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." Bob's speech was unintelligible at that time but he knew enough he wanted to get out of there. But of course he couldn't because he couldn't even take care of himself nor did he have anyone to take care of him. A situation a lot of older people are in, even if they do have family. Bob only lasted in that nursing home a few months before he died. The last time Bill saw Bob, My friend Bob with Bill at the assisted living facility
he couldn't understand anything Bob said. Bill told me that he couldn't visit Bob anymore because it was too upsetting for him.
My brothers and I promised our Mother we would never put her in such a facility. She was also a very private person and didn't need the social interaction that works for so many who enter such a facility.
Admittedly it was a close call towards the end of her life (she was living with my younger brother and his wife) because she became very difficult, keeping them up all hours of the night. My brother and his wife were just about to give up but Mom must have known because she died a few weeks after entering that phase of the end of her life.
Right now I am having increasing difficulty with Bill. Last night I won't even go into it here but I'll just say caring for Bill here at home is becoming increasingly challenging.
Pat with Bill
He's good most of the day but at night he has hallucinations and goes wandering about. Of course he remembers nothing the next day. Today I had to spend about a half an hour telling him how to go to the bathroom and use toilet paper. Use your imagination.
Again, I reiterate. I am not disparaging the option of ending one's days in an assisted living or nursing home facility for everyone. You do what is best for you and your circumstances.
Maybe we all live happy and healthy lives to the end.

4 comments:
I’ve long pondered this dilemma. Should I never ask for help because then others will be able to decide when and where I need to move? Should I have a plan to end my life before that can happen? How do I get the timing of that event correct? Olivia
Olivia,
That's my dilemma too. Hopefully, I just pass away peacefully in my sleep when that times comes. Preferably here at home.
Ron
Ron, thank you writing this post. You did a good job of presenting a fair approach to various end of life options. As you say, there is no "one way" that works for everyone. You have been committed to helping Bill live his best during this time and that is a great example.
Ron, you did an excellent job with your insight into the good, the bad, and the ugly of the system.
Suddenly there are an enormous amout of people concerned about their future and the end of life. I believe the main reason is the rising cost of living. The second reason being that so many of their friends are passing on and/or are being stricken down with Parkinson's, Covid, Dementia in all sorts of stages and forms, Cancer and just plan "old age" and of course loneliness. The cost of living and maintaining a home is "ruining" many peoples retirement funds. Two individuals can live almost as cheaply as one but one can not live without two retirement incomes as they were once used to. I see and hear of it everyday. Most suddenly singled spouses refuse to ask for financial advice. It's a who do you trust crap shoot most of the time if you have put it off untill the death of a spouse. The big beautiful retirement cottage communitys are made out to be the place to be in retirement and at the end of life. That is one of the biggest bullshit games there is. You buy in, you pay a monthly fee that may include utilities and a once a week maid service (sorry we don't dust your furniture because we might break something) but we will wash and dry your clothes and clean your bathrooms and run the vacuum in the hour that is alotted to you but be back next week to mop the kitchen floor and clean the dog's snot off the storm door glass and the patio door. Sorry, can't do anything else. Well, I could come back after work and do some more work at $45 an hour CASH. And after a set time in years mostly 5 years you have no equity left and your "home" belongs to the association. The association can decide what they feelis best for you. A friend of mine likes bacon and fries it instead of baking it. The smoke sets off the smoke/fire detectors and a crew responds to the alarm. Sorry I was just frying bacon for a BLT for lunch. Sorry, we are going to take away your electric stove and you must use a microwave from now on. By the way we are taking your car also because of your age, 82. Yes we can do that. Well you will have to pay someone to take you places other than what we provide. The money you have saved all your life is now gone! You can no longer pay the 3K per month and buy food and medications. Sorry only so many piece of clothing can you keep the rest will go to the thrift store and your furnitur donated of sold. Pick a few photos to display the rest will be disposed of. Sorry you have out lived your family. Sorry we do not allow unmarried couples to cohabitate. Sorry we can not sell a unit to a brother and sister. But they will care for you until you die. Remember we gauranteed you a home for life. If no one claims your ashes we will scatter them in our memory lane grden. The end. They take you for every cent you owned and paid dividends to the shareholders. Can you tell I am bitter about the system. I am lucky I have the money to stay in my own apartment for the rest of my life even with around the clock nursing care. I will not have paid 5 million to an association and have been treated like a piece of worthless shit. I have in place a fail safe system to enure I am kept comfortable for th rest of my life. Be afe, be careful, be happy. Woody in Ohio
Post a Comment