Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Bill's Health Update

 



Bill had a setback today.

He woke up this morning very dizzy. He told me he fell last night. He fell two more times this morning.

I called his VA nurse and she arrived shortly thereafter in this horrid wind and rain weather we're having right now, even as I write this post at 8:06 PM tonight.

She took his blood and urine sample.  Bill doesn't have a fever but his blood pressure was below normal. Going to the emergency room is out of the question. We're not doing that again.

Now is the time for decision making. If Bill has a urinary infection, which is common for someone his age and health condition, then she will prescribe medications or that. If not, then she suggested either hospice care (again, Bill has already been on hospice care twice) or a rehab facility. Bill is not going to a rehab facility. She will have the results of the tests tomorrow and we will make the decision then.

Because Bill is so wobbly he's finally using both of the walkers we have in the house, that we've collected over several hospital stays (I even gave one away to the thrift store). He's also using my old cane from my leg injury way back in 2013 (how long ago that seems). 

Of a big concern for both of us is Bill going up and down the stairs to his bathroom and bedroom, both of which are located in the basement. We tried to dissuade him from using the stairs but he won't hear of it. We both decided that he should have some control over his life. He is very careful going down and up the stairs. He uses both the railing and the wall to steady himself. His other falls were caused by him refusing to use a walker or a cane, which he now uses. He finally came to his senses on that part.

I am exhausted now. I don't want to go to bed this early but with the wind and rain whipping against our house, I am sorely tempted to climb into my comfortable, flannel sheeted bed and sleep away my worries. 

We also had the suicide watch people visit and call. Bill has expressed a desire to kill himself and end this misery for all. The VA health care system is rightly concerned about his possibility. I don't think Bill would do such a thing but I have hidden all the sharp instruments like the scissors that he often uses.

While all this was going on I received a text from my good friend and former classmate Bill B. (another "Bill"), informing me that our fellow classmate who has kept our class together all these years is now in the hospital under hospice palliative care with congestive heart failure and pneumonia.  She is the one who has always informed us of other classmates' passing or illnesses. This is getting too much folks.

I am so tired.


10 comments:

anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ron. UTI's aren't as common in males (longer urethra) than as in females, but they can certainly get them and display some of Bill's symptoms. With the lower B/P it could be sepsis? Glad she got the blood as well as a urine sample. That should tell the tale. It sounds palliative/hospice care would be appropriate at this point considering Bill's age and medical history...and current situation. Please keep us posted. I worry about you and hope you can get some rest.
Paranormal John

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ron, I have read you for years and feel for you. Just hang in there and know that others do care. I am praying that the Lord gives you strength and peace and that Bill finds comfort.

Travel said...

Take care of the two of you. Rest whenever you can.

Anonymous said...

Hope you were able to get some good sleep with that delicious wind. You need your strength for the both of you :(
Wishing you both calm and peace. Olivia

Ron said...

John,
Bill's nurse got back to me and it doesn't appear that Bill has a urinary tract infection. He has stabilized somewhat, but he is still less than he was before the latest episode. I would prefer to hold off hospice care right now. It is still an option should Bill define further. I am getting some rest.
Ron

Ron said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for your well wishes. We're managing as best we can now. Bill has stabilized somewhat. One day at a time.
Ron

Ron said...

Travel,
Not easy times here. Could be worse. Thankful it is not. Have to look at the good side. Thanks for your support.
Ron

Ron said...

Olivia,
Yes, I finally did get some sleep. This morning was another tying morning. I see the decline. But Bill has stabilized somewhat.
Thanks for your good wishes. I so appreciate all the support I am receiving.
Ron

Julie A. said...

Long time reader...just said a prayer for you both. One day at a time, deep breaths as needed.
Julie

Ron said...

Woody,
Blll has stabilized for now. I have to agree with Bill's nurse, Bill's dizziness was probably caused by his dehydration. and the low pressure weather outside (we had a terrific wind storm, up to 50 MPH). I am glad you're back in your home. I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you, fearing the worst. I've had this blog since 2005 and over that time have lost my fair share of followers who used to comment. I've often wondered what happened to them. Boredom, a new interest of perhaps they just departed from this earth. Who would notify me if they did? Hear that Joel Resister?
Anyway, I'm glad you back in your home and safe from the frigid temperatures of southern Ohio.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...