Saturday, December 30, 2023

Mailbox Trashed....Again

 

My trashed mailbox


Yes, my mailbox was trashed again. This is the third time. 

This time the culprit was the Amazon van driver. 

At least he admitted it. He said Amazon will "take care of it in a few days." 

I was napping when the accident occurred. Of course it happened when he was trying to turn his van around in my driveway. 

I have warned those drivers time and time again NOT TO TURN THEIR VANS around in my driveway. 




I don't get it.

In our development we get a LOT of deliveries. From Amazon and from FED EX, UPS and the U. So Post Office. They all, except Amazon, deliver from the right. They turn around in the cul de sac at the end of our road to deliver on the side of the development where our house is. 

This past summer I've seen different Amazon drivers struggling to turn around in my driveway and my neighbor's driveways after they make a delivery.  Twice I went out and confronted the drivers and suggested to them to use the cul de sac. One young girl looked at me like I just stepped off a spaceship and drove off without saying anything. 

I tried calling the Amazon distribution headquarters but only succeeding in entering a labyrinth of transfers of phone calls ending up with NOTHING. Never could connect with a live person. 

Now I'll await to see just how long it will take Amazon to fix this mailbox.

This is the third time I've had our mailbox destroyed. 

One was by my neighbor at the end of the cul de sac (he has Alzheimer's) who drove a little too close to our mailbox when he was driving out (yes, he WAS DRIVING). Ironically he was walking his dog yesterday when I was examining the damage to my mailbox. He asked what happened.......three times. Finally, I was so frustrated I just stopped telling him and his wife led him away with his dog. 

The second time I had my mailbox totaled was by one of my lawn care guys. He ran his fertilizer spreader into my mailbox. He said he would replace it but I sensed that he was expecting me to say "Oh no, that's alright I'll take care of it" which I didn't of course. And of course he is no longer my lawn care provider. He was the father of the owner of the lawn care business. Our relationship when downhill from there after that crash.

By the way, the same day my mailbox was trashed (yesterday, December 29th) was the same day Pat had his $1,200 bicycle stolen from his back deck in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Yesterday was Pat's 75th birthday. We'll both remember where we were on December 29th, 2023.

By the way, Pat has the video of the thief stealing his bike early in the morning while Pat slept on the other side of the wall. It took the thief over an hour and a half to steal Pat's bike. He came with tools. He's done it before. Of course you can't identify him on the video with his hoodie on. Like I said, he's done this before. Pat has one of those Ring Doorbell like videos installed on his back deck. The thief knew enough to turn off the motion detector light but apparently didn't consider that the video has its own light. Not as bright as the motion detector light but enough to see the thief. 



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm,. JANUARY 29th?

anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your mailbox, Ron. That sucks. Hopefully, Amazon will make it right....though, I'm sure you're not holding your breath. That's really terrible about Pat's bicycle. Does his home insurance cover that? Sending you and Bill best wishes for the New Year! I'll probably be in bed by 10PM (if I can stay up that long. LOL). Those 'party days' are long gone. The upside is that I don't worry about hangovers anymore...maybe a stroke, but no hangovers! Take care and wishing you good health and a safe mailbox in the coming year.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Anonymous,
Thanks! I corrected the date. I think I'm losing it.
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
Thanks for your good wishes John. I don't think I'll stay up late tonight either. Back In The Day, New Year's Eve was a big celebration night for me at my favorite gay bars in Philly. That was a LONG TIME AGO. Now this old man is in bed New Year's Eve.
I hope your next year is your best yet John!
Ron

Anonymous said...

Honestly, it didn't register on first read. LOL getting old is SUCH a challenge. (Note…and practicing it doesn't seem to help! 😂). Happy New Year. Kris in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Uh, Ron. Not to nag, but….. the other Jan 29th date still there.
Kris

Jon said...

What a rotten thing to happen, Ron! I can't imagine anyone careless enough to attemp turning around in a driveway. Well, at least he admitted it. My FedEx drivers constantly deliver my packages to the wrong address. I filed a complaint last week, and so far they are finally getting my address right. At least for the moment.....
Have a blessed new year, Ron, filled with all positive things. Hugs!

Ron said...

Jon,
These drivers could easily avoid these accidents if they only used the cut de sac to turn around their big van and deliver from the side where they don't have to back up and turn around. Now I will wait and see how long it takes for them to fix my mailbox. I have a feeling it's going to take awhile. Oh well, just another challenge. I hope you have a very happy new year Jon!
Ron

Woody in Ohio said...

What a way to end the year. As others said it was nice of the driver to admit to doing the damage. Now of course it is "wait and see".
I lived on a corner lot with my driveway entering off of the north-south lane that intersected with the main east-west well traveled county owned road. My city owned north-south lane was also the first that you came upon if you had made a mistake and had not made the turn a half mile earlier that would take you to the state highway. One summer in particular a lot of heavy construction was happening along the state highway. The west bound concrete trucks on the county owned road found that taking the right turn from the north bound road which would have taken them to the state highway far too difficult to make so they would pass it by. Well, of course they would continue a half mile to my lane and make the easy left turn into it and then left turn into my double width concrete driveway taking down my mailbox. And exactly what you are thinking also happened. My driveway which was made up of only 4 inches thick reinforced concrete cracked and crumbled under the weight of the loads that the concrete trucks carried. To make matters worse when they backed out of my residential driveway they backed over the curbs and gutters destroying them. The concrete manufacturing plant was local and they knew better than to turn around in my driveway but they did it anyway. Turning into the lane and backing out onto the county road would have been the smart thing to do but NO they decided to destroy not only my residential concrete driveway and my mailbox but also a large portion of the city owned lane that I lived on. Long story shorter I sued the state hired contractor, the concrete manufacturer, the truck drivers and the city. My homeowner's insurance company got involved as well. Eventually, after 2 years of legal battles I win. I got a brand new driveway made of 8 inch thick reinforced concrete along with all new curbs and gutters that were on my side of the lane. The city owned lane and curbs and gutters were replaced. Now you would think that was the end of the story and we lived happily ever after. NOPE! The county decided to replace the roadway bridge that crossed over the creek that flowed across my property! The first day of preliminary construction a very large crane was brought in to use to lift the prefabricated concrete paving and the steel I-beams that would carry the new road bed. You guessed it right. My new driveway was badly cracked and the city owned lane and curbs and gutters were destroyed once again. A lot of legal terms described and explained that the county was within their rights to commandeer my land and cross over my driveway to perform their construction. It took one year to complete the project and then to restore my lawn and landscaping and once again my driveway and mailbox to my satisfaction. And you also guessed correctly that my taxes were raised and I was assessed for the improvements to my curbs, gutters and the portion of the lane that directly serviced me. It was explained in court that I agreed to the use of my property and that I was therefore responsible for allowing the resuting damage to city owned property. My idyllic rural like setting on a large corner lot within city limits became hell on earth. So Ron my good friend I feel your pain. Haha I am surprised that it has not been declared by the USPS that you need to place the mailbox and place it on the otherside of you driveway and further away from the driveway itself. Don't be surprised if Amazon instigates this action with USPS and puts it all back on you. Happy New Years Eve. Be safe, be very careful and cheer up! So sayeth this very much a smart ass Woody in Ohio

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...