Monday, September 26, 2022

Happy Birthday Bill!

 

Bill Kelly River Drive, Philadelphia, PA 1966

Guess who is 94 years young today? My husband of fifty-eight years, Bill Kelly!

Bill can't believe that he's 94. One of the nurses last week told him he only had six more years to go until he gets a letter from the president of the United States congratulating him on reaching his 100th birthday. Well, I don't know about that. But hey, the chances are he'll reach that unbelievable goal more than me reaching 94 years of age. With so many of my friends now gone, I don't think I would even want to live if all my friends were gone. I don't have that many left.

I have to admit I am grateful that Bill is still here. Today was shower day (yes, I still have to give him a shower every three days), which is always a workout, but we've acclimated ourselves to our new lifestyle.  I am Bill's caregiver.  Bill is legally blind and has some cognitive issues and weak but he's still Bill. He hasn't lost his personality. He can't do the things he used to which used to so frustrate him but he's accepted (more or less) his status in life. We have our routine pretty well worked out now which is mostly comfortable for both of us. As I've said many times before, my only worry now is that he will out live me but I don't worry as much now about that happening as I used to. If I should go first, Bill won't be long behind me. But you never know. In that case Pat, the VA and my grandniece Lyndsay will see that Bill is taken care of.

It is ironic that Bill has reached the grand old age of 94 given that his father Clarence died at 21 years of age in a drunk driving accident. It's like Bill is making up for all those years that his father missed. 

We have nothing special planned for Bill's birthday today. I used to give him a birthday card but we stopped exchanging cards when he lost his eyesight to macular degeneration. He only sees shadows now. It's sad but he only sees me as a shadow, he can't look into my eyes. Nor can I look into his eyes. When I do they seem empty and that's because he has lost the central vision out of his eyes. He only has peripheral vision. 

Bill and I have been together 58 years now. We've seen a lot and done a lot in that time span. These days I treasure each day that is pain free and peaceful with Bill. Both of us are ready at any time to ease into that Final Journey into Eternal Rest. 

Happy birthday Bill! I hope we're here next year to celebrate  your 95th birthday.

Bill "Buddy" Kelly about 1932



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bill! I look forward to hearing about the next one next year.

Jim

Ron said...

Jim,
Yes, I do believe we will both be here next year!
Ron

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bill!

With love from overseas

Jacinta

VRCooper said...

Happy Birthday Bill--aka-Buddy!!

I see a book in the works. The stories that Bill, you, can tell. Sort of like a primer for the gay kids.

Is a soft ice cream cone in order??

Victor
xo

Woody in Ohio said...

Bill, the Chinese would respectfully wish you longevity by saying "Uncle, may you have 10,000 more". I will simply wish you a happy birthday filled with many wonderful and comforting memories.

Ron said...

Jim,
bill is doing very well. If he had his eyesight we would almost be back to normal. I fully expect him to be with us this time next year.
Ron

Ron said...

Woody,
Thank you for your well wishes. I think Bill and I have a few more years together. Only two more years and then we can mark our 60th anniversary.
Ron

Ron said...

Jacinta,
Thank you for your well wishes.
Ron

Joel Reisteter said...

Happy BELATED Birthday, Bill!
You lucky man - you found and have chosen Mister Right in the love of your life, Ron.
I know you have lived a good life with him and you will "see" your 95th.

Joel

Ur-spo said...

Good for him!
"Come celebrate with me that every day something has tried to kill me and has failed" - L. Clifton.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...