![]() |
| Bill with his hospice nurse this afternoon |
This afternoon we had a visit from a representative from Delaware Hospice. She certified Bill continuance in the home hospice care program Bill has been in Since February.
Bill has been in home hospice for over six months now. His blood pressure is consistently below what he recommended. When he was on home health care, his low blood pressure always triggered the home health care weekly visitors to advise him to go to the emergency room. We did that once and it solved nothing other than exhaust us from waiting around the emergency room all day and increasing both of our blood pressures. We couldn't continue that routine that's why we opted for home hospice care instead of home health care.
The goal of home health care is to keep the patient alive. The goal of home hospice care is to keep the patient comfortable.
This is what I explained to Bill again yesterday as we returned from our biweekly trip to BJ's Wholesale Club (always a big "event" for both of us here in Lower Slower Delaware). I pointed out the vehicles that were passing us and told Bill "We're all going to die. Everyone in those cars is going to die. No one gets out of this life alive. Fortunately for you you're probably going to die in the comfort of your home."
Bill and I often have this life and death conversation although he doesn't to have it. He says his biggest fear about dying is leaving me. I've told him over and over again that I'll be just fine. Actually I won't, at least for a while but eventually I'll manage. After you've lived with someone for fifty-seven years, then one dies, that is difficult. But of course I won't be the first person who experiences this loss.
I try to comfort Bill by telling him that when he dies he will have earned a well deserved rest. I remind him that death is probably like when he went under anesthesia, he doesn't remember going under and doesn't remember that blankness. If there is an afterlife it will be like that scene in the Robin Williams movie where he dies and wakes up in a field of flowers and realizes he's in Heaven when he hears his long departed dog romping through the flowered meadow to him. Wouldn't that be wonderful if that's what happened if we die? Of course none of us knows what happens but it's nice to think of that scenario. But that was just a movie.
Neither Bill or I believe in the conventional Christian scare stories about Heaven and Hell. That to us is just man made threats for those in power to keep others subjugated. It is not my intention to disrespect those who have conventional religious beliefs. I've always said that is your religious beliefs gives you comfort, I'm happy for you. My only problem with some religious people is that evangelism, seeking to convert others to their beliefs. What really offends me is when a friend tells me they're "concerned about my soul" and that's why they're trying to convert me to their religious beliefs. Their arrogance is breathtaking. I tell them in the nicest way possible "You take care of your own life and I'll take care of mine." I'm slipping into a religious discussion which I don't want to get into here so I'll get back on the main track of this posting.
Bill and I have settled into a routine here. He still needs help dressing, bathing, eating and taking his medications. His blindness is a big part of the problem. But he's not in pain and knows who I am. And that folks is how we are so fortunate.

7 comments:
Great to read an update on Bill...To be frank, it is comforting to be at peace with death...Being in healthcare I have seen death up close...I have no fear of it...I just don't want to suffer...I had a class in one of my graduate studies that asked the question of how and when do you want to die...For me, it is in my sleep at around 5:00 AM...I would be pissed if I got up and ready for the day and I keel over at 11:00 AM...I have done a full reversal on religion...I was once heavily involved in the church from about 8th grade to my mid 20's...I am now 63...I had to get out because I was gay and that was starting to knock on my soul harder and harder as time went on...There was a conflict...I remember two salient instances of being gay one in 9th grade and another when I was in my mid-twenties...The church, the people in the know did not speak of it...I was a flaming queen waiting to break out of my shell...So I ran into the arms of Uncle Sam at 27....And the rest is history...Over the years I have become less and less religious to the point of now I realize what in the hell was I thinking...So many contradictories in secular religion...And don't get me started on the people who run and are in the churches...When I pass I do not want a hint of religion around me...And I don't want my family there either...Just burn me and put me in a jar and set me in a gay bathhouse...No really...Just put me somewhere where I am cool and have a good view...Do you have room in your garage...Be well...Take care of Ron...Do something fun...XOXO
Vic,
Thank you for your comment. I need that this morning, not a good start to our day here with Bill's needs.
Ron
that's well done; coherent, comfortable and able to talk.
you two are still quite fortunate fellows.
That we are Dr. Spo, that we are.
Thank you for the update. Find joy in each day,
I am here to appreciate Dr OGU for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. Is about 2 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. OGU curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. on his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com , i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via DHL which i used for 2 weeks and i was cured everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, dr .OGU , God bless you and give you more power and ability for more cures.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases.. DIABETES, CANCER,GENITAL AND SIMPLEX HERPES,LOW SPERMS COUNT,SYPHILIS, HIV/AIDS, FIBRIOD,COPD,MENINGITIES,HEPATITIES B [HBV] DISEASES .etc why don't you contact dr.Ogu today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982
Nice to see your President has blood on his hands - you must be so proud.
Post a Comment