Friday, July 09, 2021

Tornado Alert!

 



Last night we had yet another tornado watch here where we live in southern coastal Delaware. I'm losing count of these tornado watches. What? We live in Tornado Alley? 

The latest tornado watch was last night or early this morning from twelve midnight until 12:30 AM this morning. My iPhone was beeping with the warning "GO TO THE BASEMENT!"  Oh yes, I'm going to run down to the basement right now and cower in the corner amount those crates of things I have yet to unpack from our move from Pennsylvania fifteen years ago.  Yes, FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. 

A couple of years ago we did have a "tornado" or a water sprout whirlwind travel through out backyard that took out a two of the major branches of one of my favorite river birch trees. That tree is still trying to recover. 

After that water sprout left our back yard it took out my neighbor's apple tree and a portion of the next neighbor's PVC fence. A few feet closer and that force of nature would have ripped right through my bedroom. Lucked out that time. 

Washington state and Oregon are sweltering under previously unheard of triple degree temperatures. A town in Canada burned down from the extreme heat. Ninety degree heat seems to be the norm these days.

I managed to mow the grass this morning before the heat of high noon but my T-shirt was still soaked with my sweat just from riding around on our John Deere zero degree turn tractor. I hate peeling of a sweat soaked T-shirt to take a shower. But oh that shower feels so good. 

Right now I'm waiting for the late afternoon temperature to get below eighty degrees so I can rake up the dead grass. I like that exercise of raking up grass but not in that heat. 

Global warming folks, global warming. Not a hoax.

4 comments:

nitewrit said...

Ron,

Next week there will be five days above 90 degrees, Sunday through Thursday. Who knows what it will be on Friday.

Get your yard work done today!

Ron said...

I can't take this heat and humidity Lar.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

I remember living in the basement during the hot and humid times. I would sleep down there too.
It was good too if a tornado should come in the night.

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
I remember the hot days of summer during the Fifties. No air conditioners or fans. We lived in a second floor apartment in the white trash section of Downingtown, PA. My brothers and I stayed outside until dark, exploring during the day and playing hide and seek with our neighbor friends at dusk. We didn't come in until our Mother called for dinner. Occasionally my father would pile us all into the back of his pick up truck and take us to the local Tastee-Freeze (frozen custard) for a cool off treat. We didn't feel like we were "suffering", it just was. We had nothing to compare it to until the local movie theater got air conditioning. That was a game changer.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...