Friday, July 03, 2020

Happy 56th Anniversary

Bill and me this morning on our back deck


Today is our 56th anniversary of the date Bill and I met at the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

July 3rd, 1964 on a rainy night I was flying solo at the Westbury Bar located at 15th and Spruce Streets in center city Philadelphia. Usually my weekend visits to the bar was with my friends Ed Cage and Ron Hampton, both gone now. This particular Saturday night both Ed and Ron had other "engagements" (dates). I was on my own. 

I was undecided even if I wanted to go out this Saturday night because of the light rain and center city being basically deserted because of the holiday weekend. Most gays of that era either went to Fire Island New York, Provincetown, Massachusetts or the Jersey Shore (Atlantic City/Wildwood, Ocean City, et al).  I didn't have enough money to spread my gay wings to explore those cruising grounds thus I retreated to my favorite gay bar, the Westbury Bar, which now is a discount drug store. Oh if those walls could talk.

While lounging at the far corner of the bar, perusing the room for new faces I was interrupted by the bartender, Jerry Hawes (also gone now).  He handed me a drink (my usual, gin and tonic) and nodded to the older (35) gentleman on the other side of the bar. "Oh no" I thought, "It's him."  The prior three months or so that "gentleman" had been sending me drinks with the obvious goal of picking me up.  

The first time Jerry the bartender tapped me on the shoulder while I was engaged in a gossipy conversation with my friends Ed and Ron, to give me that complimentary gin and tonic from that gentleman. I said "Who?" to Jerry and he pointed across to the other side of the bar near the Skeet Ball machine to a black haired, smiling "older" man. I thought "Oh no, not him."  "Him" was Bill Kelly, my now partner/husband of fifty-six years.  

Bill had been trying to pick me up for months with the complimentary gin and tonics but I wasn't that type of guy.  For one thing, even though Bill was (and still is) a very attractive man, he wasn't my "type."  I generally prefer smaller, bookish, nerdy guys, not what I perceived what Bill was, a Mr. Personality who could get whoever he wanted. 

I had seen Bill with his friends playing Skeet Ball, whooping it up, having a good time. When I realized that this guy sent me that drink I thought "Oh no, I'm not going to be the next notch in your gun."  No way, no how.  I may be easy but I'm no slut.  I was looking for love, not a one night stand. I had my aura of mystery to maintain after all.

Those drinks continued every time I was in the bar and Bill was there. I always acknowledged the drink but I never went over and talked to him. However, on this Saturday night, with the rain falling gently outside, and seeing Bill sitting by himself at one of those little round tables that the Westbury Bar had at that time, smiling at me when I looked over at him after Jerry handing me the latest gin and tonic.  I thought to myself "At least I can go over and thank him in person", being the nice guy that I am.  I fully expected him to exhibit an attitude that he made a "down payment" on spending the night with me by all those drinks he bought for me. I had my exit plan.  

I lifted my free gin and tonic and left my safe place at the corner or the bar and sauntered over to Bill sitting at that little round table. He smiled at me. I said "I want tohank you for all those drinks you've been sending to me" and prepared to exit quickly.  However, Bill's response wasn't what I expected. He smiled and said "you're welcome."  I don't remember exactly what he said next but what I do remember was that he didn't put the hard press on me like so many others had. I think he asked me where my friends (Ron and Ed) were.  I told him.  I was standing while he was sitting. My impression of him was that he was a nice guy. Not the overly aggressive bore that I assumed he was.  It wasn't long before I was sitting at that little round table with him and we were engaged in a conversation at that sparsely occupied bar.  

After a couple of house of conversation he asked me how I was going to get home. I said that Ron and Ed were supposed to stop by and pick me up but I hadn't heard from them.  This was before the age of cell phones, except perhaps for Maxwell Smart with that shoebox size "portable phone." When I missed my ride with Ed and Ron I would spend the night at the YMCA a few blocks from the Westbury Bar ($10 a night, that location is now a foo-foo hotel - French - that charges a LOT more than $10 a night for a young gay guy who didn't have a ride home).  Bill invited me to spend the night at his apartment in Pennsauken New Jersey. He said he would drive me to my home in Coatesville, Pennsylvania the next day.  After talking to Bill I felt comfortable enough with him that he wasn't the boring ogre that I thought he was and I wouldn't be just another notch in his gun.  And you know what folks? Fifty-six years later, even though we've been through many hills and valleys in our relationship, we're still together. 

And that my friends is how I met my husband. 

24 comments:

pat888 said...

Well Ron all is can say is - Oooh - that sly Bill. LOL

Pat

kent said...

congrats on a long meaningful journey.

Blobby said...

That's a nice story. congrats!

Cheryl said...

Awww....what a nice story! And they say a relationship with someone you meet in a bar seldom works out. Well, they were wrong about you and Bill and also about me and my husband. I met him in a small town bar called the Springwater....they had a juke box with The Green Door by Jimmy Lowe on it..lol! When he would have a drink sent over to me, I would buy him one back...I sure didn't want to owe anyone anything when the bar closed. We just celebrated 41 years on June 8th!

Aren't you glad that you sauntered over to thank Bill for all those gin and tonics?

Happiest of Anniversaries and many many more!

Nan said...

That is a a nice story. Congrats. I met my future husband at a girlfriend's house during Christmas break from college- not a bit romantic but we did play with the Ouija board- no marriage predictions though.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. And the lesson not to be judgemental and listen. What a journey.

Jon said...

Thanks for the interesting post, Ron. I thought about you and Bill today, but couldn't remember how many years you were together. Congratulations on your anniversary!

I've been reading your posts but haven't commented in awhile.
It must be very difficult for you, now that Bill is beginning to deteriorate. I had to go through a similar situation with my mother and it's beyond heartbreaking.
Anyway, Bill is fortunate to have such a loving and caring partner as yourself.

Take care, and my very best to you both.

ILLUMINATI GRAND LODGE® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ur-spo said...

I too join the conga line of congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Dear!!!

College Town Guy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY from Woody in Ohio. Fantastic picture of the smiling and happy couple. Never change a thing. Love you guys just the way you are! College Town Guy aka Woody in Ohio

Ron said...

Cheryl,
What a nice story about how you met your husband! I've heard that those "bar meetings" don't usually work out, I'm glad we were both the exception. By the way/ "Behind The Green Door" was always one of my favorite songs!
Be well and stay safe!
Ron

Ron said...

College Town Guy (Woody in Ohio),
Thank you so much for your good wishes! Every day is an adventure with Bill, never boring. Today he traipsed out in the driving hurricane force rain to retrieve our trash cans. That Bill, he's something!
Ron

Ron said...

VRC-Do You!
Thank you for your well wishes. Be well and stay safe!
Ron

Ron said...

Pat,
Thank for your well wishes. Yes, Bill is sly. You know him well!
Ron

Ron said...

Hi Kent,
Thank for your well wishes. I have and continue to lead a very fortunate life with Bill.
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-Spo
Thank you for your well wishes. I hope I'm around to congratulate you and Someone on your 56th anniversary. Oh wait, you were one two years old when Bill and I met. I may not make that date. Be well and stay safe!
Ron

Ron said...

Blobby,
Thank you for your well wishes on me and Bill's anniversary.
Ron

Ron said...

Nan,
First time I heard of someone meeting their spouse over a Ouija board. Thanks for sharing.
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
The one saving grace with Bill is that he does know who I am even though he has a hard time understanding me. For that I a very thankful. By the way, no need to always comments on my blog postings. I write mostly as therapy for myself. If some others enjoy my blog and if it gives them some comfort, all the better. Stay well Jon!
Ron

Paul said...

Either convince Bill to get rid of that ludicrous rug or divorced him. A 95 tear old man wearing a thing that only makes look foolish when he's actually
a good looking man doesn't make any sense at all.

Beyonce Velez said...

Herpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by US doctors, but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of herpes  virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.
CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE  Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com 
   WhatsApp  +2348152855846

Alex said...

Are you searching for a HACKER for HIRE?
The solution to all hacking jobs is right here.
Are you looking for 100% services in terms of CREDIT SCORE increase,
GRADES CHANGE, EMAIL, Facebook, GMAIL HACK,
ACCESS TO YOUR PARTNER'S INFO or wiping CRIMINAL RECORDS. Go ahead & contact
BESTAPPSHACKERS@GMAIL.COM OR TEXT HIM ON WHATSAPP +1(602)-609-4730 for all jobs and efficient delivery of services is guaranteed

Marilyn Navarro said...

Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2  recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 15 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr James herbal mix and his herbal exploit.  At least his treatment cured me completely. Hopefully it will be helpful for you as it happened with me. Dr. James herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same herpes virus or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Backache,ementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / LOTTERY.CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com/ +2348152855846    

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...