Sunday, March 29, 2020

Science Fiction Movie In Real Time

Food Lion this morning


Bill and I are still self quarantined here at our home.  This morning I went to our grocery store again. This is our only outing. Bill stays in the car while I go into the grocery store. Bill wants to go to Ace Hardware and I want to go to my favorite local nursery. I don't even know if they're open but if they are, we'll hold off for now. I'm trying to minimize our contact with the outside world but I'm not going to totally isolate ourselves here at home. No home delivery for us, yet anyway. 

Each time I'm at the store they have upped their safety measures.  This morning the cashier wiped down the conveyor belt after each customer's order is checked. Takes a little longer but worth it to help control the spread of this horrible disease.

The store shelves are slowing being filled up but there is still many empty shelves, including my favorite Progresso soup. I was able to get more beef stew meat and artisan bread which I will have today. Today's slow cooker beef stew I am making with red wine. I love cooking with wine. White wine for chicken and red wine for beef. Delicious!

After I finish this blog posting I'm gong out to the Back Forty and rake more grass. I couldn't do that yesterday because of the rain. Today is cloudy and foggy and the temperature is a perfect grass raking fifty-six degrees.

While laying in bed I contemplated the next few months of life around here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. I'm going to miss going into work at the hotel. For thirteen years I've been working at least two days a week, sometimes more at the hotel. I'm used to that routine, a discipline in my life that I prefer. When we moved here from Pennsylvania in November 2007 I didn't have a job. After we got settled down here at our new home, I felt at loose ends. By the following April I ventured out of our new Delaware home and applied at every hotel I could find nearby here at this seaside resort. I got a job the first week. And I've been working every week except for a three month recuperation period when I fell on the ice in 2015 and tore my left leg quadricep muscle. While working after their retirement isn't for everyone, it works for me. 

It looks like I won't be working for at least three months. I'll tell you right now I'm having some trouble adapting. But I will adapt. Hopefully we'll all get through this latest Threat to Mankind and life will get back to normal. But I doubt life will ever be normal again after this science fiction come to true life movie we're living in real time now.  But we will adapt just as I will adapt to finally being retired, temporarily at least. I look  forward to the call to return to work. I'll be ready.


7 comments:

Hot guys said...

It really is a crazy time right now, worldwide. I'm used to a routine, as well. You won't be working for 3 months? That really is a big change...

Practical Parsimony said...

Well, I am not accustomed to a routine. However, we have developed a routine that is me taking all the chances and him staying in the car, wiping me and stuff I buy down with Lysol Wipes. Today, we are going for a drive to check out a friend's property. Stay safe.

Ivy Green said...

Ron, I am catching up on your writings. You are such a good story teller and have a prodigious memory for the meaningful details. I'm sorry for your lay-off but thank you for using your extra time to keep us up to date. Here's hoping we all stay well.

Ron said...

Ivy Green,
Nice to hear from you! Thanks for your compliment about me being a good story teller. That's what I try to do. Comments like yours give me encouragement to continue. I will use my extra time to tell more stories. I have a lot in my memory. I always intended to write me memoirs but probably will never do it. This blog will have to do. I hope you're doing well also.
Ron

Ron said...

Practical Parsimony (Linds),
I'm doing a lot more wiping with my Lysol wipes. Fortunately we already stocked up on those wipes because we always buy in bulk. You stay safe too!
Ron

Ron said...

Hot Guys,
I would like to go back to work sooner but I think this pandemic won't begin to lighten up until at least June. There is a good chance it will last until September. I hope not but I think that is possible. Stay safe!
Ron

Ur-spo said...

It sounds like you are going a sensible job at social distancing - good for you!
Someone decided today to try 'home delivery' groceries so we don't have to go into a store. I don't know if this will work.
I remain at work; I am asking the bosses to clarify if we are going to continue this way,

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...