Monday, November 26, 2018

Big Toe Stub in Philly!



Yesterday, on a beautiful Sunday, I arrived in Philly.  I was to meet up with Pat who arrived, exhausted, by an overnight Greyhound bus from Toronto. 

I texted Pat when my ride dropped me off at my friend Don's co-op building where we are renting a suite for a week. We come here twice a year, once in the spring and now, late fall.

Pat texted me back that he was attending a service at St. Patrick's Cathedral. He wouldn't be able to meet me for about a half an hour.  I took that opportunity to visit my old home on Naudain Street. I always like to visit our row house on Naudain Street.  Brings back many pleasant memories.

Pat texted me after his church service to meet him on 18th Street.  I left my former home at 24th and Naudain Streets to meet Pat. I'm a little unsteady on my feet these days folks. I don't want to fall.  This is one of my major fears these days folks, falling. A couple of years ago I did a face plant at 21st and Chestnut Streets just as I was returning to our suite her at Don's co-op.  Since that accident I'm very careful not to fall again, face-plant style. So what do I do this time? Just as I was approaching Pat, me taking a video of him, I stub my big toe on the curb. And I mean I stubbed it.  Big time.  It only took a few minutes to realize I did major damage. I was in excruciating pain.

I tried to ignore it but the more I walked to our way to the Marathon restaurant for our lunch, I frequently had to yelp in pain. Yep, like a little baby.  Wow.  

After lunch I told Pat I couldn't wear my shoes because of the pressure on my toe. I had to get another pair of shoes. Just think of it, I'm beginning a week of holiday in Philadelphia which is a major walking city and I can't walk.  

After stopping in a few pricey shoes store, I settled on getting a pair of slip on shoes at Macy's. that provided some relief but I was still in a great deal of pain.

After we checked in to our suite, my friend Don suggested I go to the walk in clinic.  I took his advice. I was quite impressed with the walk in clinic, a much better alternative to a visit to the emergency room, Their diagnosis was a foot contusion.  They tied my big toe together with my second toe with paper tape.  They advised me to do little walking and keep my foot elevated.  Also to put a cold compress on my foot and take an ibuprofen for the pain.  

I hobbled back to our suite and rested and elevated my foot. 

When I awoke this morning my foot was much better. Still tender and painful if I hit it the wrong way.  I borrowed Don's cane this morning to walk to breakfast at the Marathon Grill at 16th and Sansom Streets.  

I'm hoping tomorrow when I awake my foot is back to normal, or not as painful to walk.  And I can dispatch with Don's cane. Old man here.

Man oh man, I can remember those days when I used to live and work in Philly and I walk everywhere. Those days are long gone folks. Old man here.

Well, I'm here in Philly now and I hope I don't have any more accidents. 

I love Philly and intend to get walking again pain free. 


10 comments:

Jon said...

Oh, Ron - I'm so sorry to hear about your toe mishap! What a rotten way to begin your Philly vacation. I certainly hope you'll be able to do some walking pain-free. Take care and have fun!

wcs said...

Aack! I hope it heals up quickly! Take care!

Anonymous said...

OH no! Sounds like something that would happen to me. I am currently taking care of Bill sort of after his hip replacement a week ago. Caught a cold that has me down and out for the most part. He did not want a walker or a raised toilet seat, seems I was right though my feet dangle. So now he is mad that I am sleding endlessly. I will survive and so will he! I got Christmas everywhwhere inthe house before his brother arrived. I like this brother so it was worth it! I am feeling better but it seems I am not allowed to get sick and sleep all day. Hope your foot holds out and you have a wonderful time!


the house before his brother arrived for a visit, thankfully I really like that brother. Bill not so much right now. Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hope to toe is better...I was once a physical therapy assistant back in the day...I would tell my patients to just be safe, walk as you normally would...Having the fear of falling can cause one to be prone to falling...It's a mindset...Yes, I am aware that as we get older the risk to falling and damage can escalate...Enjoy your time with Pat...Pick-up something for Bill...

Ur-spo said...

A divine punishment for wickedness

Ron said...

Jon,
I was out of commission for three days. Breathtakingly painful at times. Still, whenever I'm with Pat we always have a great time. I did miss my walking though, which is something I always had. And Philly is a city to walk in. Thank goodness I'm almost back to normal. Toe is slightly sore but I'm not having those pain levels of 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. You can bet I'll be lifting my feet in the future when traversing the streets of Philadelphia.
Ron

Ron said...

Walt,
I was only out of commission for three days. Most of the pain is gone. It was quite painful at first and severely limited my walking which was a great frustration for me because I love to walk and Philly is a city in which have to walk many places to enjoy it. My senior citizen bus pass came in handy on this trip!
Ron

Ron said...

Cindy,
Sorry to hear of your situation with the brother of Bill. Pat is very understanding of my situation while I was lame for the first three days of our Philadelphia holiday. Just another reason I like that little guy!
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
My toe is better, thank goodness! I will lose my big toenail though. It's green now. Eventually I assume it will turn black. Good advice about being overly concerned about falling. I'm trying to walk normally and lift my feet more but I am careful for potential pitfalls. I've been falling too much in recent years. Nothing like when I was younger and more steady on my feet.
Ron

Ron said...

Actually, you are right. I was very wicked during my Philly stay. Poor Pat.

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...