Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Fourth of July 2018


Our American flag display 1990 on our Pennsylvania property, back at a time when we had a decent president and Congress - oh how we took our indecencies for granted then 

Today, the Fourth of July, we here in America celebrate our freedom from oppression and rule by a despot.

Today, this Fourth is especially important because for the first time our history our freedoms are being seriously threatened by the would be despot who occupies the White House and his Republican enablers in Congress. 

Folks, I cannot stress this point enough, at this time of our two-hundred and forty-two year history as a free country, our freedom is in serious danger of being undermined. As Edmund Burke said:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I am saddened today and very worried that our American ideals are being tossed aside to please our Russian adversary, Vladimir Putin. 

Every day, Trump crosses a new boundary of norms.  He bullies and insults our allies. He admires and praises dictators. And now he is getting ready to give Putin the ultimate prize when he meets with Putin in Finland next week, unilaterally lifting the sanctions against Russia.

I think it is time to face the fact that our president, the former reality star, con man and world class lair is in the pocket of Vladmir Putin. 

Today I fear for our democracy folks. And my main fear is that our system of government, three branches that provide a check on one another, has failed. And the elected Republicans do nothing. 

There was the Vichy government in France during World War II.  There was Quisling in Norway during World War II. The Republican leaders McConnell and Ryan will go down in history as cowardly traitors to failed in their basic responsibility of providing a check on our criminal president. 

I just hope our country can survive.

I don't believe in prayers but I do believe that good will eventually prevail.  I just hope it is in my lifetime.




4 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

I know we're a nation prone to fantasies and con men, but this era really surprises even me at this level.I' see myself getting cynical and gloom and doom very quickly. We're off the rails.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and Bill a Happy 4th.

I hear you Ron. I am so overwhelmed with what's going on in our country. I am old enough to know what can happen-1957. What concerns me the most is that our Congress is not doing what it is required of them to do-checks and balances. In my opinion, Republicans-they have power in all areas-have sold their souls for money and power. I believed it with Obama and now with the orange guy, we could be so much further in making this country a better place to live. With Obama it was obstruct at every opportunity. With our current president it's all about being divisive. Now we are at a precipice of ramming through a new Supreme Court justice with very few options in our arsenal to slow things down. The only solution I see is resist, speak out, march, speak truth to power, and vote every time the polls are open. This means local, state, and national. In my opinion every Republican should be voted out. Period. We ARE at a crisis.

Ur-spo said...

I feel this way also.

Ron said...

We are indeed "off the rails" Harry in this country. What is so depressing to me in addition to so many Republicans (all of them actually) is that so many otherwise reasonable people in this voted for Trump and continue to support him and his divisive policies. Did they really hate Hillary that much? Never did I ever imagine that our country would be in the place where we are now. I am very concerned.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...