![]() |
| Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing |
Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasants clamoring for food during 18th century France drama. Of course she lost her head over such a flippant response to the legitimate pleadings of the French Great Unwashed.
I used to make cake all the time for me and Bill. However, since he died I have lost my taste for cake. Last night that cake urge came back big time.
One of my favorite cakes is lemon cake. I've tried all recipes from copycat Starbucks Lemon Loaf to the myriad lemon cake recipes interspersed with multiple ads on my iPhone. I have found the very best recipe is a simple box cake mix. My preference is Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Cake mix. For the icing I prefer to make my own lemon buttercream icing.
Last night I succumbed to my desire and whipped up this scrumptious lemon cake.
![]() |
| Yes, I ate that much last night. First, a modest slice then a "bonus" slice before I went to bed. |
Life is good.


8 comments:
Looks yummy. Can post the recipe for the frosting please.
Mmmm Duncan Hines. Yeah box cake is a great cheat for making good cakes.
Ron, I stay away from baking, except for Crème Brûlée. I do admire a person who has a talent for baking cakes. Thanks for posting.
Life is too short for not having cake. I love cake. The simpler the better. And I don't like a lot of icing. Sometimes the bakery bought ones the icing is too sweet. I love counting on the flavor for taste than sugar. And I would not use a box cake mix. I can do one from scratch if I have to. It's not that hard. A few weeks ago I made a Lemmon Olive Oil Buttermilk Cake from scratch. Came out pretty good. It was a tad dry. I will reduce the baking time next go round. I'll be doing my two week shopping in a few days and I am on a muffin kick. I am thinking about pecan or walnut muffins. Have to get my ingredients together. Have a great weekend. Stay cool. The temperatures here in Denver have been in the mid-high 90s and a few days over 100. Very unusual for Denver. We do get warm whether but not long stretches like this.
Anonymous,
The lemon buttercream icing is very easy. Four cups of confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, juice and rind of one lemon and heavy whipping cream to desired consistency.
Ron
Harry,
I generally don't like box cake mixes and make my own cakes from scratch but I haven't been able to master Duncan Hines lemon cake mix.
Ron
Tommy,
I love baking. Creme Brûlée, I love but way too much trouble to make for myself. At work at the hotel once there were about seven Creme Brulee's left over. I never had one before so I sampled one. LOVED IT! I ate all seven. They're dangerous!
Ron
Vic,
I always have trouble making a moist cake. I tend to bake them too long. I'm always trying to get that "magic spot" of just the right time to take the cake pans out of the oven. This time it came out just right. "Goldilocks", not too dry and not too moist, just right.
Ron
Post a Comment