Tuesday, April 07, 2026

Own It!

 

Me, 1958. I had too much hair! Me with "Nancy", our mail order German Shepherd dog. Yes, our family ordered her from the mail order company Montgomery Ward in the Fifties. I know, I went to the Post Office to pick her up in a crate. Thank goodness you can't order pet's through the mail now!


Back in the day I had more hair on my head than I knew what to do with it. My barber was always thinning it out. I owed my thick head of hair to my Mother who also had a heavy mane of dark brown hair.

My Mother with her thick brown mane of hair with "Nancy", our mail order German Shepard dog 1958

My father didn't, he was blonde and had thin fine hair his whole life.


My father at 19 years old

As I aged, my hair thinned out on its own. Never once didn't I consider a comb over. I think comb overs are ridiculous.  Just my personal opinion. I understand someone wanting to hang on to their hair but those comb overs are just too distracting.

Last night I was watching Luke Russert



on "The Week Night." I couldn't take my eyes off of his ridiculous comb over. Well, at least he did away with his bangs that he was using to cover his baldness. Unlike Bill Gates of Microsoft who is what seventy years old now and still trying to maintain those whimsical bangs of his youth. 

Hey guys, get over it! Own your baldness. I have two old friends who went that way and they look great with their natural hairstyle rather than trying to hang onto their youthful appearance. Even my Mom, towards the end of her life, had thinning hair. I'm again following her footsteps.

Sure, I take occasional ribbing from Pat for my "peninsula" hair style. My nephew use to make fun of me too but how that he's in his late fifties he's lost most of his blonde hair. He takes after his dad, my brother, who also has blonde hair like my father. Even my brother, lost in his MAGA world, owns his baldness. 

I bet eventually Luke Russert will own his baldness because if he continues with that ridiculous comb over, which I can't take my eyes off of, then how can I take him seriously? 

3 comments:

VRCooper said...

Right on point. I now have hair on the sides the top is bald. Well, if I let it grow out, I look like a Chia Pet. My hair is straight, wavy when it gets longer, and anything after looks like a bush. I started going bald in high school. Just a small bald spot the size of a quarter at the back of my head. Over the years, the top has always gotten thinner, thinner, and thinner, where now I just buzz it off. I have my sides trimmed up and the edges lined. My barber charges 35 dollars for a haircut, but for me, it's 15, and I am out of that chair within 15 minutes. He has been cutting my hair for a few years. I don't even bother with the mirror that he hands me. I say I don't need that. He cuts your hair with your back to the big mirror. Yes, I have noticed Luke's hair. I see what he is trying to do. I follow on Instagram and kept track of him as he did his around-the-world thing. He is furry, which I like. He had one post where he was just in these loose shorts at the beach, and things were bouncing. Got my attention. He seems like a nice, fun guy. His mother, Marureen Orth, is a famous journalist. Luke just looks like a younger version of his father.

Ron said...

Vic,
I know all about Luke Russert. Of course he's a nepo baby. I like him and he is very informed about politics but I don't get the same feeling of comfort that I did with his father, Tim Russet. Tim was the best. I was so saddened when he died so early. Nobody has been as good on "Meet The Press" since Tim. He died way too young.
Ron

jayveesonata said...

I enjoyed this post. I never knew pets could be purchased by mail order long ago. Your German Shepard looked really good. When I was a kid, I remember seeing ads in magazines where you could buy live baby monkeys and other critters.
Take care, Ron. Hugs, Jon

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...