Tuesday, November 25, 2025

Thanksgiving 2025

 



This year I will be spending Thanksgiving by myself. That's my choice. Not that I've been invited anywhere which I probably wouldn't go anyway.

In my past years I usually worked at the hotel but I'm no longer employed. I am officially put out to pasture which is just as well. I have mobility problems these days. No more replacing TV's in guests' rooms that don't work. 

I bought a seven pound turkey breast at Food Lion last week. I got it on sale at $1.27 a pound. I've been defrosting it in the refrigerator since Friday. I ordered a large Crock Pot from Amazon yesterday which was delivered yesterday! I got a special Black Friday deal. Instead of $43 I paid $25. I like turkey. That's the one thing I miss about not attending Thanksgiving dinners. My Mother used to make the best roast turkey. I've never been able to match her method. I've been studying different recipes on YouTube most of which slather the turkey with butter to prevent it from drying out. I like dried out turkey meat. I've never been one for juicy meat. My bone in turkey breast should be completely defrosted tomorrow. My only decision is whether to add garlic or not. My Mom hated garlic and her roast turkeys were always tasty.

Pat in Canada celebrated their Thanksgiving earlier this month. Canada pretty much mirrors our holidays, which he often points out to me. I miss having Pat in the house. Even though his presence was a major disruption to my daily old man routine, it was nice having someone else in the house. Bill's spirit is with me almost every evening with that burned out Christmas light that I have in my living room. Bill and I never did a big deal on Thanksgiving either. Just being with each other was all we wanted. Of course to this day and probably every day the rest of my life I still miss Bill terribly. But I know this, our spirits will eventually be reunited. He is patiently awaiting me in Heaven. 

I have much to be thankful for this year. Even though I have mobility problems and tire easily, I'm in relatively good health. I can still take care of myself. My vision is good, my mind is still functioning although I am more forgetful these days. Probably the only problem I have is the current political climate in my country today. Trump is still in office. Need I say more? I won't even go there today.

These days I occupy myself with fall cleanup, playing online Scrabble with Pat, doing my New York Times games (Wordle, Connections, Strands) in the morning, talking to my friends Don (in Philadelphia) and Glenn (in Palm Springs, CA) and of course Pat in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I send out my good morning memes to my favorite people. I'm up to about ten now. They include a couple neighbors, former co-workers, and friends. Most everybody else I know have died. Oh, and one sister-in-law. I have a good life. I'm not in debt, have a wonderful home, wonderful friends and neighbors, and even though my body is failing me, I can still get around on my own and take care of myself.

I wish one and all a Happy Thanksgiving!


5 comments:

VRCooper said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ron!!

I was reading your post about placing televisions in the rooms that doesn't work. My management mindset went to overdrive. I say checking everything in the room when cleaning, have a sign-off check list -to ensure the customer experience is what it should be. They just opened up a old motel here in Denver just down the street from me on Colfax Av. They really brought it up from the past. I would classify it as a boutique hotel. Colfax Av.-US Highway 40-used to be the highway that ran from Golden-West- to Strasberg to the East. Colfax Avenue-technically is 15th Street-that was once littered with motels along the way. Many are long gone. And now we have the Interstate highway system. Colfax Avenue was once called the longest continuous commercial street in the US. Now you know.

I am not doing much for Thanksgiving. I cooked for me last year with all the trimmings but I am not in the mood this year. I too tried looking for a turkey breast at a few stores but couldn't find one. There were plenty of turkeys in all different sizes and hams. I have settled on baked chicken, baked potatoes, and some veggies. I say a great recipe for some buttermilk biscuits that I might try. I love to bake so I might bake some chocolate chip cookies. I baked a few weeks ago and still have stuff in the freezer. So it will be low key as usual.

Be well Ron!!

VRCooper said...

PS---I am surprised you didn't have a crock pot. I still have mine from years, years, ago. It is avocado green. Remember that color? It still works just fine. Also, to add to the Thanksgiving meal I will always have my eggnog. It's from a local source and it's about 30% less fat. Love my eggnog but I don't like it sweet. Also, I went to Sprouts to find a 1/2 pecan pie but they didn't have them this year. I could make my own.

Ron said...

Vic,
Sometimes I feel like a low key Thanksgiving. I like the big ones too but I just can't travel like I used too and I don't want a lot of people over. Just me and my memories of Bill and FaceTime with Pat. I hope you have a nice low key Thanksgiving.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Now you didn't think I didn't have a Crock Pot? I've had one since they first came out in the Sixties. I still have my original one. I have a total of five now. The one I just ordered was a large crock pot to accommodate my seven pound turkey breast. I have two regular sized crock pots, and two singe serving crock pots. I have done and will continue to do a look of my cooking in a crock pot.
Ron

VRCooper said...

I thought you did, but I thought I was mistaken----I recall you mentioning cooking in one before----Mine is a three-quart ----Something like that---A small one----I was tempted at one time to get a bigger one-----

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...