Saturday, May 27, 2023

Memorial Day 2023

 

Bill Kelly U.S. Army Germany 1947


This weekend is Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start to the summer season. It is also a day set aside to remember those who sacrificed their lives for our country. Millions of men and women lost their lives to defend our right to live in freedom.

The photo above is of my husband and partner of these past fifty-nine years, Bill Kelly. It was taken in Germany in 1947, right after World War II. 


Bill operating radio equipment in the field Bamberg, Germany 1947

Bill (bottom right) in the field operating radio equipment Bamberg, Germany 1947

Bill Kelly (right) taking a shave in the field Bamberg, Germany 1947

Bill was in the service twice. First time around he was in the Army and stationed in post-war Germany. He saw first hand the devastation and destruction that the war had wrought upon Germany and its citizens. He even visited Hitler's Lair up in the mountains before it was destroyed by the Allies to prevent Hitler's mountain retreat being turned into a Nazi memorial to Hitler.  Even today Bill remembers clearly standing in the bombed out section of where the big window mountain view that Hitler and his guests had.


Bill stood on this same spot in 1947 before Hitler's Mountain Lair was destroyed

Bill stood in this picture window of Hitler's Lair with the magnificent view of the Bavarian Alps which was bombed out when he stood there


Hitler's Lair when Bill was there. The Allies destroyed it in 1952.

Bill Kelly, Army Bamberg, Germany 1947
A local Bamberg photographer saw Bill walking the street one day and asked if he could take Bill's picture  to display in his shop window. This photo was still on display a few years ago (I haven't checked recently) at Bamberg's website on the Internet - HANDSOME AMERICAN SOLDIER!



Bill had to leave the Army after several years to take care of his mother who had no other means of support.
After securing support for his mother Bill joined the service again, this time the Air Force. He was stationed in Japan in the early Fifties. He was there when General Douglas MacArthur was still there. Bill often tells me the story that Emperor Hirohito sent a message to MacArthur "granting" him a visit to the Imperial Palace. MacArthur told his staff to send a message back to the Imperial Palace that is Hirohito wanted to see MacArthur then he was "to get his ass over" to MacArthur's headquarters, which Hirohito did. Bill has told me that story so many times. I let him because he so enjoys telling it. 

Bill in Japan 1952

Eventually Bill had to leave the Air Force, again to take care of his mother. Bill was in the service for a total of nine years. He wanted to make a career out of the Air Force, where he was the happiest but unfortunately it was not to be. But if he had stayed in the service, we would never have met and had this wonderful fifty-nine year relationship.

Bill in front of the giant Bhudda statue in Tokyo, Japan 1952 (?)




I know every day how lucky I am to have had Bill in my life and continue to do so. These days most of my waking hours are devoted to taking care of Bill and making his final days as comfortable as possible for him. 

Bill can't see these pictures now because of his macular degeneration blindness. 

Bill is often confused these days but one thing he always remembers very clearly is how happy we has to have been in the service of our country and to have witnessed history first hand first in Germany then Japan. 

However, so many families weren't as lucky as I have been these past years. And for them and for those who gave their all to defend our country and its freedoms, I we remember you this weekend and thank you and your families.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was interesting seeing those photos of Bill in his military days. I was especially interested in those two photos of him with the radio equipment in 1847. Ten years after that I was fooling with radio equipment as a hobby and ten years after that I was working with it in the Navy. Amazing how much the technology changed over that 20-year period and even more amazing what it has become today. Even science fiction folks never predicted such almost miraculous advancements. No telling what the future will bring, too bad I won’t be around to witness it.

Bill was indeed a ‘handsome American soldier’. It does sound like he enjoyed his time in the military. It was good of him to look after his mother as he did.

Jim

VRCooper said...

I tell you, Ron!!

I am a bit emotional today. Lots of things going on in my life. You would think I am menopausal. Now you sent me over the edge with Bill.

What a great post. Bill is still with us and I DO THANK you and him for your service.

My father made a career in the military. He was in the Air Force for most of the time. There is a rumor that prior to his Air Force days, he was in the Army. I say that because my father never shared anything about his life. If he did it was bits and pieces. When you would ask him about his childhood, and family... he would become defensive and ask why we wanted to know. I never grew up with Grandparents, Aunts, or Uncles... My father was a part of the Koren War. As a family, we were stationed in Japan during the late '50s. I was born in 1957 and my younger brother was born in 1958. I remember him being a baby while in Japan. My mother from the Bronx did not like being overseas and that was the beginning of the end of the marriage. My parents divorced when I was finishing up first grade and going into second.

Now I see the impetus of Bill and his tinkering with radios. The views of Hitler's Mountian Lair were breathtaking. When I was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany I thought about going up there because folks were gushing over the views. When I was in Germany the exchange rate was about 340 to the dollar. At around 3:00 PM American Express would state the next day's exchange rate. One day the rate went from 340 to about 140 to the dollar. Folks were lining up to obtain the current rate before the bank closed. Military folks were cashing in everything. It became cost prohibitive to travel on an Airman's salary. I did manage to go to Check Point Charlie, Berlin Gate, Amsterdam, Pairs, and a few other places in my two years there.

Did you know the hospital I worked and lived is a historical landmark? The hospital was located in Weisbanden and was a hospital for German officers. The hospital had/has tunnels that went from the hospital basement-1st floor-to the Bahnhof-train station. It is said that the German military did not want the German people to see the wounded being carted through the streets.

I love the history of the Nazi period. Those Germans were not only ruthless but they knew how to build and plan. The efficiency. I have seen several documentaries on the Nazi regime. Hitler was pillaging all the cities and towns according to their national treasures. His goal was to build an ideal city and have museums that would be the talk of the world.

I am glad that Bill was not part of the Vietnam War. I was listening to Medi Hassen and he did a great job of documenting the ills of Kissinger-- https://twitter.com/MehdiHasanShow/status/1661840085854068741?s=20 I am surprised the guy was not in jail. Vietnam was such a debacle. My brother graduated high school in 1974 and was on notice to join the war efforts. Things were touch and go there for a minute. I was supposed to graduate in 1975 (1976). Trust me a war I did not want to be in. When I was in the Air Force I had a fellow instructor, Frank, that was in the war. I asked him what it was like. What stuck out to him the most. He mentioned that it was always DARK. The jungles were so dense that one could not determine if it was night or day. And another thing he mentioned that was his feet were always wet. They took great care to ensure their feet were dry. Frank was a great colleague and support. Especially when the witch hunts were going on about me supposedly being gay. Me gay?? If you have pictures we can talk was my motto. Otherwise, leave me the hell alone. And don't quote the UCMJ to me.

I am thankful for all the servicemen who died so that we may live in peace and have the democracy that we have-barely.

VRCooper said...

Part 2--

I believe that we should have mandatory military service. In Germany, the young men had to complete two years. We trained with them. I tell a story of a German military guy who I was friends with and we were in the hospital theater for some briefing or whatnot. The young idiots in front of us were talking smack about the Germans. They saw my friend sitting beside me and they were more animated. They thought he did not understand them. He looked at me and said shall I tell them. Sure I said. He tapped them on the shoulder and gave them a polite rebuke. They shut up quickly and stared straight ahead. Folks!! Germans speak English. It is required in their schooling.

Have a great weekend. Do something fun. Tell Bill I said Hi.

Much Warmth,

Victor

Ron said...

Victor,
What an interesting story about your father and your early days. You do have an interesting history. I bet you and Bill could really get into some interesting conversations about Germany. Bill still uses German phrases to this day as well as Japanese phrases.
Thanks for your comments. Always fascinating.

Ron

VRCooper said...

Did Pat mention this:

Three dead in Hamilton landlord/tenant dispute. Hamilton is a city of half a million people about 28 miles southwest of Toronto.

https://youtu.be/23Sba7ljUK8

Garrett said...

Hi Ron,
I’m not sure if you know who I am but my name is Garrett and we are related via marriage somewhere. My great-grandfather is George A Iffrig, and your family tree was really helpful to my Ancestry tree. I think your blog is fascinating and I love reading about the stories you have, so I just want to say thank you for all of it because it’s really cool to read. Much love
Garrett

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...