Monday, May 22, 2023

Life is Fragile


Yes, I'm back this beautiful, peaceful May spring morning here in southern coastal Delaware.

I took this video a short time ago of our backyard oasis. This is what my life is all about now, peace and quiet here in southern coastal Delaware.

Since I've been gone we've had quite a few events, the main on being a neighbor's house burning down. I'll post about that later. But it brought to my mind how fragile our life and security is. One moment you're enjoying a peaceful day and the next moment your golf cart charger catches on fire in your garage causing gas and propane gas cans to explode destroying your whole house in minutes. Thank God my neighbor and his family and dog and two guests were able to get out in time but he lost everything. 

Neighbor's house on fire after the explosion this past Saturday

We've been having our issues here at home with Bill. His dementia is worsening. He's having more trouble swallowing and he's getting weaker. He even had a little "accident" the other night, thus justifying still wearing Depends. 

Yesterday, I made a visit to the local walk-in health clinic. I've had numerous tick bites this spring. One tick bit in my upper inner thigh close to my crotch (why do the ticks always go THERE?) was infected. I hesitated going to the walk-in but the infection was hurting so much I put aside my modesty and went. The doctor (a young woman of course) removed the partial tick head that was still left in my skin and causing the inflammation. I'm much better now.

I have to take precautions so as not to get any more tick bites. I ordered a pair of zip up combat boots form Amazon. They arrive tomorrow. The mosquitoes are also very bad this year. Below is my mosquito net

that I now where when I'm outside in my backyard oasis. I tell you, if it's not mice trying to get into our house, it's the mosquitos, ticks and flies. But thank goodness our house didn't burn down. Which reminds me, I have to increase the safety precautions in our garage because I also have gas cans stored there for our lawnmower. I'll only keep one gas can there from now on.

Yes, I'm back. You know me, I can never stay away from blogging for long.

6 comments:

anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Ron. That's catastrophic about your neighbor's house. I hope they had good insurance. Even then, losing everything is horrendous. Will he rebuild on the same site?
It sounds like Bill is slipping. He's still in hospice, right? Be wary of tic bites d/t Lyme disease. Glad you bought those boots. Take care. Again, glad you're back.
Paranormal John

Anonymous said...

Your backyard is sure beautiful, you can really be proud of it That is terrible about your neighbor's house fire, how far from your house is it? It sure pays to keep the flammable things separated, but who could have anticipated such a thing would happen? I hope Bill doesn't deteriorate more quickly. He sure is lucky to have you taking care of him.

Jim

wcs said...

Wow... frightening! Good idea to move things around. Stay safe!

Ron said...

Paranormal John
I'm glad I'm back too! I can never stay away for long. I miss my friends in the Blogosphere. I will blog until I can no longer blog, probably when I check out.
Hospice has decided that Bill is well enough physically to be discharged again (the second time) from home hospice care. However, he will go in the "transition" program, which means he can go back on anytime if he starts to slip again. Neither one of us want him to go through the emergency room procedure should he have an "event."
I feel so bad for my neighbor who lost everything. I don't know how much insurance he had but no amount of insurance can cover those personal items lost forever. Thank goodness he and his daughter and two friends who were visiting got out alive without injury. That poor house, which was so beautifully is just a shell now. Even his burned out SUV is still sitting in his driveway. His house is on my route during my morning walks. I will miss saying "HI Harvey" to him when I often encountered him working outside. He is a very nice guy. It's a real shame.
Ron

Ron said...

Walt,
Just shows you how fast you can lose everything. I have moved my gas cans out of our garage to our shed at the edge of our one acre property. Taking no chances.
Ron

Woody in Ohio said...

Good to see you back at the helm of your blog. It's always nice to take a break, regroup and decide how to proceed from then on. Excitement seems to follow you where ever you go. You always find something new to be passionate about. I remember your days of sharing your favorite recipes of which I still make the pasta salad and the cucumber salad. Yummy! I can remember when you first landscaped the borders of the Casa T-K. The clip you shared today shows a very mature and peaceful seating. The hollys sure have grown and the same with the river birch grouping. For some reason I never noticed the traffic before out there on Route One. I used to make side trips to Rehoboth Beach in my wild and crazy days but never really liked the people. In those days it was a lot of old cottages rented out to those cliques just like the Fire Island ones. They didn't like me in general but sure liked what I had and wanted me to put where the sun did not shine. I soon found better company and never returned. I am always in awe of those who make it into their 90's. The things Bill has seen and done in his life are amazing. He has been lucky. His life isn't ideal these days but it could be oh-so much worse if it weren't for you. Please let us know which neighboring house it was the burned. After all these years we have seen on your blogs pictures of most all the houses in your developement. So sad for the neighbors. What flames don't destroy the water ruins and all you often have left are the memories stored in your brain. Enjoy things Ron and I will, too. And all Ron's followers you have a nice peaceful and safe Memorial day weekend. A friend is going to take me to visit the graves this Decoration Day. My friend has lots of Peonies for me to place on the graves. I still use the family recipe for preparing the Peonies for the graves. We use large tin cans and cover them in aluminum foil. We tie the Peonies together with twine and then place them in the cans. Then we put wet sand in the cans to hold it all in place. Then when we place it on the grave we add fresh water to the can and it keeps the flowers fresh for a few days until the crews remove them. It can all be recycled or composted. Be safe, Be careful. Be Forever Happy! So says Woody in Ohio.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...