Friday, November 25, 2022

Wedding - How Times Have Changed

 

Ally Mason and Mary Tipton now Mason at their wedding 

Yesterday, my cousin Mary Tipton (first cousin once removed, her father John and I are first cousins) was married to her sweetheart Ally Mason. Bill and I were invited to the wedding but unfortunately we couldn't attend because of health and my caregiving responsibilities. Oh how I would like to have attended though. 

Mary is one of four daughters of one of my favorite cousins, John Tipton. He has four beautiful daughters and he is one of the best dads around. I am so happy for them. 


Cousin John with three of his beautiful daughters

Seeing my cousin getting married so publicly I can't help by remember the Bad Old Days when such a thing was unthinkable, a marriage between same sex couples. I can imagine what my Mother would say. 

I never thought I would see the day where my relatives and others would so freely lives their lives even though they are gay. My brother's granddaughter is openly gay. She came out in high school and never apologized or looked back. Good for her! 

Of course there have always been gays in our family, they just had to hide in the closet. I think of my Uncle George, my Mother's older brother. Every family has the Gay Uncle. I'm the Gay Uncle in my family.

George Lincoln Hadfield, Jr. - U. S. Army World War II 

Uncle George never married (of course). I told my Mother that her brother was probably gay but she refused to believe it. I didn't press the point. I remember fondly when Uncle George used to come our house at Christmastime with our Christmas present, a money envelope. I always used to get a special feeling when he came around. Oh how I wish I could talk to him today about what his life was like growing up. He was born in 1920 and died in 1982. 

Never in a million years did I think I would live long enough to see gay people live openly and love just like their straight counterparts. Even though these days The Right is trying to resurrect anti gay bias, the toothpaste is out of the tub folks. We're here and we aren't going anywhere, especially back in the closet. 

Have a happy life cousin Mary with your love Ally!

Mary Tipton and Ally Mason




3 comments:

Happyman said...

May they have many happy years together.

Ron said...

Spo,
I love keeping up with my Tipton relatives.
Ron

Medi Cal said...

I can see the resemblance between your uncle and your Mother. (It's in the eyes). Both great looking!

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...