Sunday, November 06, 2022

Fiona

"Fiona" and me at the Georgetown SPCA. I may rename her "Phantom" because of her black half mask and her already habit of disappearing in our house then suddenly reappearing. 

 Yes, I finally got a cat! 

After seventy plus years of wanting to get a cat after my father gave my gray tabby "Bobby" away to the SPCA when I was ten years old, I got a cat.


Me and "Bobby"

Over the years I've had to pass many opportunities to adopt stray cats (interesting stories which I will relate in future blog posts) and living with Bill who absolutely forbade me getting a cat, he (much to my surprise) finally relented this past Saturday after I got a CAT-SCAN (no pun intended), he said "If you want to get a cat, get a cat." This was in response to me complaining about yet another mouse sighting in our house (the fabled Casa Tipton-Kelly). 

I wasted no time and headed down to the Brandywine Georgetown SPCA (the same "Brandywine SPCA" by the way that my Bobby was turned into lo these many years ago), and saw that it wasn't opened yet. Then I went to Petsmart to see their adoptable cats. I saw two I was interested in. A five year old female tabby called "Tiki" who was turned in because her owner died suddenly. And the other cat I was interested in was a three month old gray kitten who was a stray found wandering behind a Walmart. Before I made a decision though I wanted to check out what cats were available for adoption at the Georgetown SPCA. I walked in (it was open by now) and immediately saw a small cage outside of the main area with three kittens, all siblings. One all black, another black with white chest and feet, and "Fiona", a calico. The others were her brothers (I think). I immediately wanted her. 

I went through all the paperwork and she's now at Casa Tipton-Kelly, her new home. And she is wearing me out. I knew this would be a problem with a kitten but I decided I wanted a cat to bond with me and of course, an in house mouser. 

She's working out fine. Bill is a little put off but I suspect it won't be too long before he mellows. But she is a kitten and high energy. This is like having a newborn child in the house. A temporary inconvenience and a lot of adjustment for rewards in the future. 

One day I will lose Bill and that is a day I dread. Hopefully, with Fiona she will ease the pain. 

Much more folks!

14 comments:

Texas said...

I am so happy for you!! I never felt complete with a pet. Hopefully,someday, you can add a little Pom to the family.

wcs said...

Congratulations!

anonymous said...

Congratulations, Ron! A happy day, indeed. I can't imagine life without a pet. For dogs, I'm a Rottweiler person, but love my cats, too. When my 125lb. Rottie passed, I got Eddie (cat) at the local humane society. What a joy he's been. He's a tuxedo. He thinks he's a Rottweiler! LOL! Good luck. Have fun! Keep us updated with pics and kitten stories!
Paranormal John

Woody in Ohio said...

How wonderful for you! A pet seems to "complete" a person. The cat will soon fill in what has been lacking in your life for awhile now without you even really noticing it. Haha, Bill might just grow to tolerate the little fur ball. Wouldn't it be funny if one day you catch Bill napping with the cat curled up in his lap. Ron, I do so hope it all works out for you. Be Safe. Be Careful. Be Well. Be Happy. Adieu

michb said...

Congrats, I have a rescue also ..enjoy your blog..thanks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I have a rescue cat. He is great company.

Ron said...

Texas,
Thanks for your good wishes. I'm not looking for a little Pom but if I happen to run across one, just may be possible. As for now, Fiona is keeping me very occupied.
Ron

Ron said...

Walt,
Thanks for your good wishes! For years and years I've wanted a cat. I passed up so many chances in my 59 years with Bill to adopt stray cats who were in perilous situations. Nobody is more surprised than me that Bill finally acceded to having a cat in the house. OF course he won't have anything to do with her now but I think eventually we will mellow.
Ron

Ron said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for your good wishes. My rescue cat is purring in my lap right now as I'm tying this response to you.
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
Thanks for your good wishes. A Rottweiler? That's way too big a pet for me. One of Fiona's siblings was a tuxedo. I was tempted to adopt him. Wish I could have adopted all three of them but Fiona is a handful along.
Ron

Ron said...

Woody;,
Woody,
You're right that a pet does complete a person. It's taking some adjusting for me to get used to Fiona. She's sleeping in my nap right now as I'm trying to type this response to you. I have no doubt Bill will warm up to her eventually. Right now he wants nothing to do with her.
Ron

Jon said...

I'm so glad that you finally adopted a kitty, Ron. Fiona is absolutely adorable. Cats are very often misunderstood by people who don't like them.
Cats can be extremely loving and faithful companions when they are given lots of affection.

Anonymous said...

A kitten!! You will need some patience but aren't they adorable? She's a lovely cat.
Glenda

Ur-spo said...

I hope the kitty and you have a happy life together! Good for you!

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...