Friday, July 08, 2022

Hacienda Tipton-Kelly Update July 2022

This year's gladiolus crop

Life is good here at Hacienda Tipton-Kelly!

Bill's health continues to be stabilized. We're in a routine now that I've gotten used to. Every three days is Shower Day. Bill doesn't complain as much as he did when we first started this routine fourteen months ago. He was used to just slapping himself with a wet wash cloth. Now he gets a complete soapy bacterial killing shower. No wonder he complains. He no longer has a body odor.

Bill's legs, while still discolored from poor blood flow to his extremities, isn't a swollen as they were when he came home from rehab in February of 2021. His legs were oozing clear liquid which I had to dress daily with bandages. Bill walks daily which helps with his blood flow and I also massage his lower legs daily.

Bill no longer has a hospice nurse visit him weekly to check his vitals. He is also off his Eliquis prescription because of the chance of falling from dizziness. Thus he is subject to a stroke again but if that happens, there will be no extraordinary efforts to keep him alive. Bill is ready to go but in the meantime we try to make the best of our lives.  Because of his macular degeneration blindness he can't do his projects he used to love so much but he has adjusted to his new life of relative inactivity and no projects. Most days he's good but some days he does get depressed. I take him for a ride every day and that seems to alleviate his depression.

Now for my health update. Tuesday I had my pre cataract visit. Quite complicated with all he drops I have to take but I'm ready to get my eyesight back. My right eye is first, scheduled for July 21st. Pat is coming down from his pied a tier in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada for the week of July 17th through the 24th. I'm looking forward to going out to a restaurant and having a chilled margarita (without the salt rim crust) at one of our many Mexican restaurants. Just once during the season I would like to walk down the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach in the early evening with Pat. We did that when we met nine years ago. I live so close to this vacation destination and yet rarely take advantage of the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk experience. I don't do the beach but I do love the boardwalk. An after being holed up here at Hacienda Tipton-Kelly for the past two years, I'm ready to break out.


 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m glad to hear things are going as well as they are. I hope you don’t have any problem with the cataract surgery and it improves your vision. I’m glad you have the visit from Pat coming up this month, that’s nice to look forward to. That flower photo is really beautiful. You are lucky to have such a nice place to live.

Jim

VRCooper said...

I am glad things are going well--I know it will be great to see Pat again--May I suggest regular trips/visits by him since you really can't travel at this time--It makes a world of difference if one gets out for a few hours--I have been to the boardwalk years ago--A nice peaceful stroll is what the doctor ordered--I have my calendar marked for your eye surgery--Has the surgical center been notified--Hell on wheels is coming--Man the battle stations--Have a great Friday and weekend--XO

anonymous said...

Good luck with your cataract surgery. Things will be much clearer. Does Bill elevate his legs while sitting? That will help with peripheral edema. Come to think of it, I think I saw a recliner chair in one of your pics. The walking is great. An RN here. You're such a good caretaker. Enjoy your visit with Pat. The flower pic is beautiful. I assume that's from your garden.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Jim,
Not everything is going well. Yesterday I had a repairman in to fix my oven. It's still not fixed. I'll write about it in my next blog. But when I encounter these frustrations I have to remind myself this is a "First world problem."
I am so looking forward to Pat visiting. I haven't seen him in person for over two years. Time does go by so fast. His visit willa also provide a much need break from my daily routine.
Always good to hear from you Jim.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Pat can't visit on a regular basis. He's living beyond his means in that penthouse of his in downtown Hamilton, Ontario. He's using my airline credits to fly down here to help me with my cataract surgery. I haven't seen him for over two years. After his visit I can go another couple years I think. Never know what the future holds.
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
All flower pictures are from Hacienda Tipton-Kelly. We have loads of them! I love growing flowers! Yes, Bill does elevate his legs when he is sleeping in his recliner. Seems to help. He also walks twenty laps in our finished basement. Thanks for your compliment that I'm a good caretaker. I would like to think so. I can't imagine Bill being taken care of in an institution the way I take care of him.
Ron

anonymous said...

As an RN, I can assure you Bill would not receive the care he does with you. He's
truly blessed to have you. Your flowers are just beautiful. My parents had a large greenhouse/florist business. I grew up around flowers and 'the business'. Sadly, I did not
inherit the flower growing gene. I think I have a black thumb! I can kill off a plant by looking at it! But I do enjoy others and am aware of all the hard work that goes into a beautiful garden and landscaping. I live in a condo! LOL!
Paranormal John

Breenlantern said...

So glad you can have the surgery and Pat can come and help. Hoping all goes well.

Ur-spo said...

what lovely flowers!
I enjoyed hearing your updates/
Blogger better let this be posted.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...