Thursday, November 04, 2021

What Pets Want The Most At The End Of Their Life

 



First, I have to apologize for leaving that picture of Jason from "Halloween" on my blog post for several days after Halloween. What an awful thing to do to my faithful blog followers. I'm not ready for a new posting yet (too much going on recently) but I did come across this valuable information about how we treat our pets on a Facebook post today.

I've had at least a dozen pets put to sleep during my lifetime. In my family, I was the designated family member to take the family pet to the vet to have him or her put to sleep. No one else could bear such a sad task. It was sad for me too but I realized that putting a pet out of their pain and suffering was best for the pet and their family. 

It wasn't until recently that I realized that I should be holding my pet when they're put to sleep. I was holding my Horace (my Pomeranian best friend) when he was put to sleep. He was peaceful. I wish I could go back in time and hold those other pets rather than just turn them over to the vet. I will always feel guilty about not holding those pets in my arms when the vet injected them with a fatal solution in their from paw.

I've expressed my wish many times that when my time comes, I want someone with me holding my hand when I slip out of this life. Would that I would be that lucky to have someone with me at the end of my life.  Unfortunately, we as humans cannot chose our time and place of our passing other than suicide. But be it  known here and know, if I should be so fortunate as to slowly fade away from this earthly existence I want a person who cares about me helping me to pass. Just holding my hand as I enter my Eternal Rest.


Below is the posting about being with your pet at their end of their life.

Pets, it turns out, also have last wishes before they die, but only known by veterinarians who put old and sick animals to sleep. Twitter user Jesse Dietrich asked a vet what was the most difficult part of his job. The specialist answered without hesitation that it was the hardest for him to see how old or sick animals look for their owners with the eyes of their owners before going to sleep. The fact is that 90 % of owners don't want to be in a room with a dying animal. People leave so they don't see their pet leave. But they don't realize that it's in these last moments of life that their pet really needs them. And Hillcrest Veterinary Clinic in South Africa has posted on their Facebook page for all people with pets. Veterinarians ask the owners to be close to the animals until the very end. ′′ It's inevitable that they die before you. Don't forget that you were the center of their life. Maybe they were just a part of you. But they are also your family. No matter how hard it is, don't leave them. Dont let them die in a room with a stranger in a place they dont like. Vets are very painful to watch this. On how pets cannot find their owner in the last minutes of their life. They dont understand why he left them. After all, they needed his consolation. Veterinarians do everything possible to ensure that animals are not so scared. But they are completely strangers to them. Don't be a coward who thinks it's too painful for you. Think about the pet. Endure this pain for the sake of your pets. Be with them until the end ".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this the other day and thought it was beautiful. Hope things are holding steady for you both. Hugs from Margaret in Rehoboth

Ron said...

Hi Margaret,
Always good to hear from you. We're holding up. Bill is week but I think he has plateaued. I miss my hotel job but taking care of Bill is more important now. I am so thankful I have him here at home when I can take care of him.
Have a great day Margaret!
Ron

VRCooper said...

Ron,

It's your blog!!

You can post what you damn well, please.

You don't owe anyone an apology.

That's it.

Peace out.

Victor

nitewrit said...

I have been with most of my pets when they have departed, often petting or holding them. I dislike this part of having pets. We had Tucker put down at a vet, because he was suffering too much as a Yelow Lab at 18. The whole family was with him and he fought going. As bad off as he was he didn't want to leave us. I miss him.

Larry

Ron said...

Victor,
You're absolutely right. Sometimes I forget that.
Ron

Ron said...

Larry,
I was with Horace (my last dog, Pomeranian). That was 1998. I am so thankful I had the present of mind to be with him when he was put to sleep. He was peaceful. He was my best friend ever. Only time I ever cried over a living thing dying. That was 1998. Like you, I still miss him. What a friend he was. I wish I could have another like him but at my age that isn't practical. But if I found a Pom that looked like him I just may do it. Make a provision in my will forms up keeping should I exit first.
Ron

Al said...

I had my sick Shepherd/Husky put to sleep in the back seat of my pickup truck. It was his favorite place to ride. It was a hard thing to o but he could not eat any more, not even hand feeding hin the last 6 weeks. He lost 20 pounds and was hurting. Did what was best for him but really miss him. It has been over a year now. I saved all the pictures and videos I have of him in his better days. BTW in a few months I will also make the 80 mark. Wishing the best for you guys.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...