Yesterday when I went into my 3 PM shift at the hotel I heard the news that the governor of Delaware declared a state of emergency.
As of 8 PM last night, restaurants were limited to take-out and delivery. We had five rooms at the hotel last night. Yes, we're having cancellations because of the coronavirus pandemic but there are still people at the hotel. One of my responsibilities to our guests is to supply restaurant information.
I called around the restaurants and made up a list to pass out to our guests of those restaurants that were converting to take out only. Some were even planning on doing deliveries, which is new. As someone said on the TV yesterday, "We're all in this together."
My co-worker Oz placed our hand sanitizer, which we always use even before this coronavirus threat, right on the counter where the guests check in.
The first guests, an elderly couple (most of our guests are elderly couples) I checked in I nodded towards the hand sanitizer before they handed me their credit card. At first they seemed puzzled then I saw a smile slowly develop across the lady's face. She pushed the plunger to squeeze hand sanitizer on her hands. She thanked me. Her husband also availed himself of a squirt of sanitizer. I frequently availed myself of the hand sanitizer during my eight hour shift.
When they came back from dinner I asked them how was it. They told me the restaurant was packed. She said the atmosphere was like the Last Supper, a festive Last Supper. Then the restaurant did close at 8 PM. Take out only from now on to further notice.
Later on two long term guests came to the front desk and said "The bars are closed!" These two men are long term guests from South Africa and Namibia who are working at the Georgetown airport refitting custom planes for Arab sheiks who have too much money. I told them "Yes, per order of the governor of Delaware state of emergency in response to the coronavirus pandemic." I didn't have an alternative for them.
Those two men, along with the rest of us are now facing the reality that our normal every day activity is going to change, at least temporarily.
Also racing through my mind last night was the question "What if I already have contacted the coronavirus?" I've been following closely all the reports of the symptoms; shortness of breath, coughing, and fever. I don't have a fever but I do have a shortness of breath and I do cough. But then I've had those conditions for years. Of course I imagine the worse, that I have IT and I will pass it to Bill is of the very vulnerable age. What do I do? What should I do?
Yesterday the news also came out that drive in tests would be available today here in southern Delaware, only a few miles from where we live. I may be walking around with the virus unknowingly. I checked the restrictions for taking this drive in test. I don't meet the requirements. You have to have a fever, been in contact with a known carrier of the virus, and or returned from one of the infected countries. There shouldn't be any requirements like this if we're to get a handle on this pandemic.
Yesterday, for the first time Trump actually acted like a president at the daily briefing. I don't know what he was told but he actually was serious and didn't take his usual potshots at his perceived enemies and lie about the seriousness of this pandemic. Of course no one knows how long that attitude will last. Already he was hate tweeted the New York Times after that press event. God, can you imagine how much better we would be off in this country if we had a real president instead of a reality show racist president who has zero empathy and is only interested in his reelection.
Sorry for the rant but sometimes I just have to vent about this awful situation our country is in because of Trump.
I went to the store this morning to pick up some milk and was surprised to still so many empty shelves. I was able to get four cans of my favorite Progresso Tuscan Bean soup and Bill's milk but still no eggs.
![]() |
| Still no eggs at our local supermarket |
Talked to Pat on FaceTime this morning about our pending trip. I fully expect domestic air travel to be suspended by the time we plan to leave for Palm Springs on April 13th. If the planes aren't flying, we may just drive out. I always wanted to experience a drive across the country. Good time to do it do, light traffic.


8 comments:
Well today is our first day of shelter-in-place. Being a hermit myself, I see no difference. Balder Half still has to work. He's a deputy fire marshal and an EMT first responder. I'm like you, Ron. I have so many things with the same kind of symptoms that I won't know if I get this particular virus or not. I suppose the fever would be a dead giveaway. I'm hopeful that BH won't bring anything home with him. With both of our breathing problems it will be a race to the finish line :)
I’m on spring break here in MO. We got notice that we’re out of school until April 6. Most teachers were unprepared and didn’t send home work with students. So now we’re waiting on news from our district on how to proceed with elearning. They’re working on getting food for students to pick up which is much more important.
This weekend the stores were insane and out of a lot. I just went and the store wasn’t crowded. Except for low produce, pasta, and bread, supplies were fine. I guess we’ll live and learn. Be well!
I hope to convince Someone it is our civic duty to order out a lot this wee.
Ur-spo,
Will you have food delivered?
Ron
Trump has just closed the border with Canada to all non-essential travel - does preparing a condo for sale count as essential travel? I wonder, Roderick
Lovely to hear that your long terms guests are from South Africa & Namibia. I was born & raised in Cape Town, South Africa and my best friend from college is from Namibia (a neighboring country). A part of Namibia was still part of South Africa back then, that's why she came and studied at our college.
Hope you both stay healthy & safe.
Ms Goose,
At my job as a hotel front desk agent I meet people from all over the world. That's just another aspect that I like about my job.
Thank you for your comment.
Ron
Roderick,
No, preparing a condo for sale doesn't qualify. I wasn't going to go anyway because we wouldn't get much done and the restaurant would be closed. I really didn't fear flying on the plane but the trip wouldn't have been productive anyway.
Ron
Post a Comment