Saturday, April 28, 2012

Carrot Cake - Cracker Barrel Style


The best carrot cake I've ever had in my life was a slice I had at Cracker Barrel a few years ago.  One bite and I felt like I was entering heaven.  I HAD TO HAVE that recipe.  I called Cracker Barrel and they graciously told me the recipe was on the Internet for all to share.  I copied it, got the ingredients and made it and yes...it turned out just like the piece of heaven I had at Cracker Barrel.


INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRACKER BARREL CARROT CAKE

I have made this recipe a few times since then but only on special occasion but it is quite a chore to make.  Set aside at lest an hour for preparation.  But oh is it ever worth it.  


THE FINISHED PRODUCT (TOPPED WITH CHOPPED PECANS)



Today is my neighbor Bob's birthday.  He and his wife Barbara love carrot cake.  What better birthday present?  So in about an hour, after Babs gets up (late sleep she is), Bill and I will traipse over to their manse and present Bob with his birthday present.  

Here is the recipe should any of my readers care to make their own cake for a friend or a favorite neighbor:


Cracker Barrel The Old Country Store Carrot Cake

Author: CopyKat.com
Recipe Type: Dessert, CopyKat Recipe
Total time: 1 hr 10 min
Serves: 10
This cake is just like moms!
Ingredients
  • CAKE:
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped English walnuts
  • 2 cups finely shredded carrots
  • 1 cup crushed pineapple (8 ounce can with juice)
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup raisins that have been soaked in water until plump and then drained
  • 1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: 

  • 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans for garnish
Instructions
  1. Cake: Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil, sugars, vanilla and eggs until smooth and fluffy. Add pineapple, walnuts, coconut, carrots, and raisins and blend well. Gradually add flour mixture a half at a time until blended through.
  2. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes. Test with toothpick for doneness. When cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.

  3. Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and a little powdered sugar at a time until all has been blended well. Turn mixer on high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy. Spread frosting over the cooled cake and sprinkle with pecans.
  4. Yield: 24 servings

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, I want some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby,
      This is the best carrot cake recipe ever! Only problem is that one piece isn't enough. That's why I don't make it that often.The other "problem" cake I bake is German Chocolate cake. Delicious!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'll give that one to Carlos.
    He's the MasterBaker in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I do all the cooking and baking around here. Bill does none. He did once in our 47 years together and it was a disaster. No more. Still, it would b nice to have someone bake for me.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Carrot Cake is Someone's favorite; I will clip this one and save it for a day when we make a cake. Right now we are both dieting so no cake for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      The Cracker Barrel recipe is the best recipe for carrot cake. I'm baking another one today for me and Bill. Diets be damn.

      Ron

      Delete