Monday, December 08, 2008
100 Things I've Done
I'm at it again, stealing ideas for lists. This idea of "100 Things I've Done" I absconded from my friend's blog "On Transmigration." I've made a few changes to the list, some of the items were a bit too self serving like "Selling Girl Scout Cookies", "Giving too much to charity" and "Buying a stranger a meal at a restaurant." These things are so patently ridiculous that I could not in good faith include them in a credible list. That said, here is my corrected list of "100 Things I've Done." The bold items are the things I've done. The items not highlighted are still on my Bucket List.
1. Started my own blog
2. Acted in a play - grade school and high school
3. Played in a band - high school and I loved it
4. Visited Hawaii - got close one year
5. Watched a meteor shower - if I did I didn't know it
6. Had a paper route - favorite all time job
7. Been to Disneyland/World - late in life - won a trip at age 59
8. Climbed a mountain - almost killed me
9. Held a praying mantis - frequently
10. Sung a solo - I sing worse than Roseanne Barr.
11. Bungee jumped - absolutely no desire to do this
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightning at sea - isn't this dangerous?
14. Caught a football (or baseball) - incapable - gay gene - which hand do I hold up?
15. Adopted a child - something I always wanted to do but probably best I didn't. One of the lives I saved.
16. Had food poisoning - bad hamburger, only my kidney stone was more painful.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty - I walked to the top of the Washington Monument once and the Monument in Provincetown, Mass.
18. Grown my own vegetables - cheaper to buy them at the store.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train - tight quarters - lost my pajama bottoms
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitchhiked – when I was in the Army - the uniform guaranteed a ride
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill - never had the nerve
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb - I've held a lambs wool sweater, very soft.
26. Gone skinny dipping - only once and it was very invigorating to be that free in spite of the shocking shrinkage exposure
27. Run a Marathon - no thanks - all that banging and being out of breath - why?
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse - yes and thought is that all there is?
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset - almost daily, hundreds of pictures
31. Hit a home run - are you kidding? The gay gene again.
32. Been on a cruise – no but I would like to someday - a Bucket List item
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person - yes and I was surprised at how big it is. Big impresses me.
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestor - yes, the best experience of my whole life
35. Seen an Amish community - many times
36. Taught myself a new language - no, another Bucket List item
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied - nice while it lasted
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Rode a horse (or pony) - always wanted to, never had the chance
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight - is cruising the same?
46. Been transported in an ambulance - several times - very dramatic, always fun
47. Had my portrait painted - yes, it didn't look like me
48. Gone deep sea fishing - my Pop used to but never took me with him
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris - I've been to the top of the Empire State Bldg.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain - I've kissed a lot of other places though
53. Played in the mud - I'm way too fastidious for this kind of activity
54. Gone to a drive-in theater - many times, I am that old
55. Been in a movie - what kind of movie?
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business - yes, hard stuff, didn't last long
58. Taken a martial arts class - someone could get hurt doing this.
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Had a gun fired at me - they missed. Scared the crap out of me.
62. Gone whale watching - again, very impressed like I was with Niagra Falls. Whales are big.
63. Got flowers for no reason - who would do that for me? Surprise me.
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma – no, I like to keep my punctures to a minimum
65. Gone sky diving - again, are you kidding? Splat!
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check - I've missed a few credit card payments by accident
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy - Viewmaster, I'm still impressed by 3-D
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial - big, I was impressed again
71. Eaten Caviar - I've eaten roe, does that count?
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square - no, New York City doesn't impress me
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job – oh yes, I'm claustrophobic. I don't like closets.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London - Bucket List item again - all of England
77. Broken a bone - dislocated my knee once. Does that count?
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle - added at least 5 years to my life.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person - saw it from the air once
80. Published a book - no but my next grand goal which I will accomplish - a family history book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car - twice so far, maybe one more time
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had my picture in the newspaper - the neighbors were impressed
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House - nice but I wasn't all that impressed. Wasn't that big
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating - my Pop made me do it
88. Had chickenpox - no fun at all, sick as a dog
89. Saved someone’s life - several
90. Sat on a jury - never, always wanted to
91. Met someone famous - Milton Berle coming out of an elevator with a wet towel on his head
92. Joined a book club - who hasn't?
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby – not likely. It takes two to Tango and I don't Tango with women
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a lawsuit - yes, because of the gay discrimination job loss
98. Hit an animal with my car - unfortunately several times, unavoidable
99. Been stung by a bee - and a wasp, and yellow-jacket
100.Built a house - two.....so far