Tuesday, July 11, 2017

What a Day!



Retirement isn't what you think it is. Take today for instance.

First up was my 3,000 mile oil change for my red 2010 Subaru Forester.

Then a stop at Ace Hardware to return rope lights that we way too bright for the soffit in out kitchen. 

Then after that a trip down Rt. 113 to the Delaware DMV to get my car inspected and renew my registration.  

Then to my barber (Hyatt) to give her and install the other box of rope lights to put around her step up to the barber chairs. She moved to a new location that there is a step up that us old men are bound to trip over when approaching the barber chair. That little job took over an hour and left me soaked in sweat on this very hot and humid day here in southern Delaware.

Then back home, soaked, to pick off the latest batch of Japanese Beetles to put in a jar of soapy water to die.  Yes, this is that time of year when the Japanese beetles attack and devour my roses and Crepe Myrtle trees. 

After installing those rope lights at my barber's shop, I took advantage of being in Lewes and made the rounds of some restaurants to collect their menus for our front desk at the hotel. I also stopped by the excellent Mexican restaurant Agave and got some of their fabulous pico gallo salad. Yum!


Whose says retirement is boring?

Tomorrow I take Bill for his dermatology appointment at the Georgetown VA. 

I'm looking forward to some coasting time. And to some days when the temperature isn't in the humid 90's. I can't breath in this kind of weather folks. 

It's all good folks. I'm basically healthy and for that I am thankful.

17 comments:

  1. Since retiring (some years ago) I've not experienced a single day of boredom, which is much more tan can be said for when I was working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Same here! I've been bored many times on different jobs but never in retirement, never.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. We'd better be careful, Ron, otherwise retirement will be breaking out all over the place and including people who haven't worked anything like as long as some of us have. At least we've earned it!

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      Never a boring day, especially today (read my blog that I posted today). Bu the way, have you seen the Netflix series "Happy Valley?" Would be interested in your take on that series that takes place in England.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Never been anywhere near 'Netflix', Ron (Rather like mobile phones for me). I keep hearing it mentioned but I'm not even sure what it is. Maybe I should consider that my keeping postponing investigation of same should come to an end and a 'just dive in' is called for.

      Delete
  2. I think 3000 mile oil changes are overkill. especially for today's 21st century cars.

    I had a 5000 mile oil change yesterday for my 2013 Chevy Sonic...lot easier to remember every 5000 miles.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I've heard that before, that an oil change every 3,000 isn't necessary. However, it's hard for me to break this years long habit
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Yeah, just yesterday I said to Lois, "What happened to the empty calaendar?" We had a meeting after church service, which got a bit out of hand. Sunday is always busy for me, because I have stuff to do for the church in the afternoon. I also cooked dinner. Lois went to her girlfriends on Monday, but then we went out to dinner with Laurel which wasn't planned. I spent my day arguing with Fios, receiving a call from Jefferson Hospital and then trying to get to jeffererson's financial aid office. Then Community Surgical came on Tuesday to check my Ventilator and last evening I was at the ALS Support Group for two hours. Yesterday we discovered Lois has a doctor appointment on Wednesday that never got put on the calendar. She'll go there this morning. I have Bible Study this evening. I am teaching, so I spent time Monday and Tuesday preparing the message. The Pastor called yesterday about changes going on at church and asked me to contact one of the elders, which I did in the afternoon. Maybe Thursday will be quite. I have the ALS Clinic in Philly on Friday. They last one tok four hours. Just when you think its safe to kick back, something kicks you.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Tell me about it. Today I took Bill to theGeorgetown VA Outpatient clinic for his dermatology appointment. Next Monday Bill has an endoscopy for which he has to undergo anesthesia. Tuesday is my appointment with my heart doctor, which was already postponed once, months ago. Then Wednesday we see Bill's eye doctor for a followup to his cataract surgery. I just checked next month's calendar and I see where it is clear! Must be something wrong. That's highly improbably that we will go one whole month without any doctors' appointments.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I hear that keeping active lengthens a person's life. If that is true, I should've been dead at least twenty years ago!
    Japanese beetles, huh. I've got this picture in my head of bugs with mop tops and instruments singing "I Wanna Eat Your Plants" . Sorry, manic again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles,
      I surely keep Bill busy. He'll be 89 this year. Hard to believe. Japanese beetles, every summer they pay us a visit and every summer I collect them into soapy water to die a painless death. but still some survive to come back next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Saw an article in the WSJ on Rehoboth concerning beach umbrellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy,
      Wonder what that was about?
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Glenn retired six years ago, at 55 yrs. young. I was retired and he wanted to join me. We are always busy. Since we moved into our new home last month we are crazy busy. No humid weather here in La La Land but it is warm. We now have a pool and and use it every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      Ah, a pool. I've always had a dream of having a nice, small pool right outside the back door. Maybe someday. I love swimming. Haven't done it for years. I envy you and Glenn.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I will send you our new address and try to do a better job at staying in touch.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mike! You can send your address to my e-mail address. Pat and I would live to visit you and Glenn when we're in Los Angeles next February.
      Ron

      Delete