Friday, March 31, 2017

Trump Presidency Is Unraveling

Michael Flynn leading the "Lock her up!" chant at the Republican convention

Every day I watch the further unraveling of the Trump presidency. 

I remember clearly when the Nixon presidency unraveled. 

I voted for Nixon. Twice I voted for him. That was a time in my life when I was a conservative Republican who believed in fiscal responsibility and conservative values.  

I believed Nixon that he didn't know about the "plumbers" that broke into the Democratic headquarters. 

The year was 1974 and I was summer vacationing in Provincetown, Massachusetts. That was 43 years ago.  

When Nixon was found to be lying (because he secretly tape recorded White House conversations) and was forced to resign rather than face impeachment and prison, I couldn't believe it. I was shocked.

Never again in my lifetime did I think I would witness a president who resigned from office in disgrace.

Well folks, that time has come again.  

Donald Trump hasn't even finished one hundred days in office and already his presidency is meshed in numerous scandals. But the worst scandal is slowly coming out.  And that scandal is that he and his campaign has colluded with Russia to affect the presidential election.  Of that I have no doubt.

Yesterday, the odious General Flynn has requested immunity because he has "a story to tell."  I bet he does. General Flynn, who infamously led the chant at the Republican Convention to lock up Hillary Clinton, now fears jail for himself. He should fear jail. He belongs in jail because I believe he worked for Russia. Of that I have no doubt. 

So what do I expect to happen?  I think we will be witnessing history again. Trump will resign.  Pence will resign because he knew Flynn was lying.  I think the election will be declared null and void. I think a new election will be held. History will be made.

This story is long from over. Of course the die hard Trump supporters, the ones who would support him even if he shoots someone on Fifth Avenue, will be outraged. So what?  Who cares?  I don't.  I've had it with the diehard Trump poorly educated supporters.  They will never be satisfied.  

The United States has to regain respect in the world and it's never going to happen as long as Donald Trump and his incompetent minions are in power. 

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM

    I share your sentiments but lack your certainty. The hope of an outsider to shake up Washington
    was misplaced. When the coal mines stay shut, the factories of the Northeast continue to crumble and
    the elderly find themselves worse off this charade will end. The unraveling in real time is not only of a myth but of a mind.
    perhaps of a mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Oh I am certain that the Trump presidency will end before his four year term. Trump and his associates are just too corrupt. the unraveling is in process now. This is much, much worse that Watergate. The security of our country is at stake. At least Nixon cared about the country. His mistake was lying and the coverup. Trump is a pathological liar. And he cares nothing for the country, only his own ego.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:20 PM

    If for some reason trump and Pence resigned then Paul Ryan becomes president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought of that. Trump, Pence, Ryan. A triumvirate of bad news for the country.

      Delete
  3. I eagerly await that moment when some of the hardcore Trump supporters - just some of them! - begin to deny that ever really supported him.

    There will be a few. Although my grandmother always stuck by Nixon...

    "Now Watergate does not bother me /
    Does your conscience bother you? /
    Tell the truth."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry,
      The irony here is that the hardcore Trump supporters loudly proclaim how patriotic they are yet they seem all too willing to look the other way the more the news comes out that Trump and his cohorts colluded with Russia to defeat Hillary Clinton.
      Nixon fooled me, Trump doesn't.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    I sure hope you are right. Trump is a cause for concern the world over.
    Ps-Glad to hear Bill's eye surgery is a go.
    Jane in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      This nightmare has to end. The United States and the world needs stability and we can never have it as long as Trump and his coterie are in power.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. The scary part:
    Presidential line of succession in the United States of America
    Vice President (Mike Pence)
    Speaker of the House of Representatives (Paul Ryan)
    President pro tempore of the Senate (Orrin Hatch)
    Secretary of State (Rex Tillerson)
    Secretary of the Treasury (Steven Mnuchin)
    Secretary of Defense (James Mattis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      YES! That is the scary part of replacing Trump. The only solution is to hold a new election. That would be historical but I think it is justified since our past election was hacked by the Russians.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I agree, that I don't think he'll make it 4 years. But is it possible to hold a special election?? Is that in the constitution?? I'd really hate to think of Ryan as president. He's just as crazy.

      Delete
    3. christina,
      You got that right, Ryan is just as crazy. We are surely in a dilemma. Pence is no walk in the park either. He's a True Believer.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Oh he/they will find a way to weasal out of it and make it someone else's fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trump is finished. Not "if" but "when." He will self destruct. I just hope he doesn't take the rest of the country with him. Then we have Pence. God help us.

      Delete