Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Feeling Better



Dare I say it? I'm actually feeling better this morning. Still weak and sore (abdomen) but I don't feel like I'm dying. 

I'm not sure if my kidney stone has passed (the soreness in my lower abdomen) but I no longer have blood in my urine. 

For the first time since this current kidney stone episode began last Friday, I've been able to eat my normal breakfast of brand, almond milk and strawberries. Taste is still somewhat off but I didn't have to throw away half the cereal like I did a few days ago when I first tried to eat my normal breakfast. 

I'm off he painkillers, I can take this little bit of soreness.  Got to get my bowels working again, which is the downside of painkillers. They kill the bowel movements. 

I'm scheduled to go to work tomorrow evening. I think I can make it.

One thing that isn't helpful is this brutally cold weather, winter making its last blast. Thank goodness we missed the snow that blanketed areas north of where we are enduring day to day living here in southern Delaware. I look out the window in the morning at the stiff daffodils and puzzled robins, trying to figure out why they can't take a drink out of my now frozen bird baths.

This too shall pass Ron.

You know what folks, sometimes I just get so tired of these medical emergencies that I feel like going to sleep and not waking up.  But then I think of how fortunate I am that my health isn't much worse, which it isn't. And can you imagine if this happened while I was in California? Or Canada? 

Life is a roll of the dice isn't it folks? Here we go for another day. 


14 comments:

  1. I would take Benefiber and eat every kind of roughage I could lay my hands on. I am facing major surgery, and one of the things I dread is the constipation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Parsimony,
      I know of what you're saying about facing major surgery then the resulting constipation. Been there, done that. I try to minimize my pain killers so as not to back myself up too much. By the way, I finally had a bowel movement this morning, almost a week after this whole thing began. Wasn't easy either.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Well, your normal breakfast is making my stomach kind of queasy but I am glad that you are feeling so much better.

    Deedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles,
      My normal breakfast is the one recommended to me by my urologist three years ago after my last kidney stone episode. "No more iced tea and more bran cereal." I used to do a lot of grease (friend eggs, bacon, scrapple, toast) but gave up that "normal breakfast" years ago which probably saved my arteries. Looks like I produce kidney stones no matter what.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Maybe a wee bit early to start putting the flags out but it's a relief to read better news. Let's get the nasty business all behind you and start to LIVE again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Almost (95%) back to normal. At least the pain is gone, which is a HUGE relief.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Well, this is indeed good news - I'm happy to hear it, Ron. But it's disconcerting to know that you have to return to work so soon, especially in this frigid weather. It got down to 12 degrees here last night. This is the coldest March I can remember.
    Take care, stay warm, and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I really wasn't ready to go to work last night but I made it through. Still weak and shaky when I got home. Had a good rest last night and more visits to the bathroom to remove the toxicity in my body. Thank goodness!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Ron: For OIC, try some lightly warmed prune juice in the microwave; it has helped without taking another pill with all of their side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      You are so right about the microwave oven warmed prune juice. A home health care worker gave me that advice when I was recovering from my torn quadriceps muscle. It worked! I used it this time too and it worked. I don't like taking regular laxatives because, even though they clean you out, they mess up your regular bowel movement cycle. I did take a Ducolax laxative "for gentle over night relief." That apparently worked. Thanks again for the good advice.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron: I'm with Raybeard on this. I know you've soldiered so often thru the past few years with all types of very painful inconveniences. And I certainly can't attest to having had the same number or intense like situations - but that is the reason I enjoy the days that are clear of all that. I can't take things for granted really any more. I know I'll run into some sort of health issue of some sort. Even minor - like a toothache. But the days when really nothing of substance is bothering me - I see it as a kind of richness. I always shudder hearing about these medical issues you have been faced with - and I always wish for you a speedy recovery as possible.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. I certainly have had my share of health issues these past four years. I remember all those years, thirty plus, when I was in my youth, that I never saw a doctor and never got sick except for the occasional cold. Now I realize how lucky I was. So lucky.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. which pain killers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oxycodone/acetaminophen 5-325 MG tab

      Guaranteed to plug you up.

      Delete