Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Walking - Exercise Routine

My Activity app on my Apple watch


Out of bad things, sometimes good things happen.  

Remember when I fell on the ice a year and a half ago and tore my left leg quadricep muscle?  I never thought I could walk normal again. 


Me on my walker - several limited my ability to get around

I wore a brace on my leg for twelve weeks after the operation that reattached my quadricep muscle.

Me with my leg brace - I couldn't bend that leg for twelve weeks in order to give my reattached quadricep muscle time to heal

That recovery time was perhaps the worst time of my life with the exception of the difficulty I had selling our Pennsylvania house when we moved to Delaware ten years ago.  Wow, that was a long sentence.  

My stapled up leg after surgery to reattach my quadricep muscle


Walking was the one thing I always had.  I've always enjoyed walking.  

I've done a lot of walking in my lifetime. When I was in high school, I didn't have a car.  I walked home miles from after school activity.  I also walked home miles from my part-time job cleaning offices.

When I lived in Center City Philadelphia, I walked a couple of miles to work and back home every day.  Sometimes I even walked home for lunch, albeit I walked fast.  

Walking was always something I had.  Thus, when I lost the ability to walk normal, I was felt a great sadness.

This spring, I started to walk again. Before breakfast in the morning I would walk a few houses up the road pictured in the banner photo at the top of this blog.  Eventually I was able to walk all the way to the other end of our development.  

These days I walk the whole of our our development once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  The total walk is two miles each way.  If I'm not too busy, I also walk before lunch.

A big help has been the Activity app on my Apple watch.  This helps me to stay on course.  I feel like I'm really accomplishing something.  And you know what?  I feel a lot better too.  And of course, I'm keeping my weight down.  Which is a biggie since I am one of those older males who tends to gain weight around my middle.  

Folks, it's all good.  And you know what?  Walking is also free.  I especially love walking early in the morning just as the sun is rising and the birds are starting to chirp.  

When I walk in the morning, and the afternoon, I feel at one with nature.  I love it folks. I feel alive again.  Now, not to fall again. 


8 comments:

  1. -glad to know that you're back in walking shape! I love walking as well. At 46, I'm still fairly fit & able to go for miles. Unfortunately, where I live 60% of the sidewalks are woefully uneven. If I'm not careful, I tend to trip over bits of pavement that jut up from the ground. I stubbed my toe twice today while walking around the neighborhood. -could have been worse & I'm glad it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      I've always loved to walk. When I was young I didn't have a choice because I didn't have car. My parents wouldn't sign permission for me to buy a car. Back in that time, one had to be 21 years one could buy a car in one's own name. And all the years I lived in center city Philadelphia, I walked. Walking a lifelong habit for me. I am so glad I'm able to walk great distances again. I thought I had lost that ability forever when I fell and injured myself. You be careful walking on those uneven sidewalks. You don't want to fall. Take it from me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO FALL.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. It isn't just falling that can rob you of the joy, but sometimes things you don't even expect or understand. Keep moving, pal!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I know you know what I'm saying Lar. My morning walk is my daily treasure that I treat myself to.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Is your middle name must be 'Resilient'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      Whatever else I may be, one thing is for sure I am a survivor. I just don't give up.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - smart move. So much of our lifestyle is sitting. Muscles become atrophied. Great thing to do - enjoy the scenery, fresh air, meeting neighbours etc. I try to keep up my exercise too. My new seasonal job as stock picker is my present exercise which I think has been very beneficial for me.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      "The best things in life are free" is so true. I do so enjoy my morning walk, taking in the start of a new day. Smelling the fresh air, waiving to the neighbors who are going off to work for the day, listening the birds start their new day. It's all good.
      Ron

      Delete