Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Trump Wins!



What can I say?  

I am in shock.  I am speechless.

Donald J. Trump won the U.S. presidential election last night in one of the biggest political upsets in our country's history.

I will have a lot to say about his victory and what it means to our country in future blog postings but now I just want to express my utter shock and disbelief that this event has happened.

I suspected things were going wrong early last night when I was watching coverage and Trump was leading in all the battleground states.  I got that "sinking" feeling but dismissed it.  

Several times I turned the TV off and only checked the progress of the election on an app on my phone.  I just didn't want to hear all the chatter with the bad news.

I went to bed around 12:30 AM, hoping against hope that the battleground states (and some that weren't like Michigan and Wisconsin) would go Hillary's way.  That was not to be.  I couldn't sleep.  In fact I only managed to get about an hour's worth of sleep and that only surface sleep.

This morning in a few hours my neighbor is going to drive me (in the rain, how appropriate on a day like this) to Philadelphia. 

Today is my birthday and for the past few years I visit Philly with my friend Pat.  I was hoping to have something to celebrate but instead I guess I'll spend some time reconciling myself to the fact that Donald Trump is now the president of the United States.  

One good thing, all the Congressional investigating committees against Hillary will never appear again.  Hopefully.

Have a good day, if you can.


8 comments:

  1. What a miserable downer of a birthday present for you, Ron. Many, VERY MANY of us share in your sorrow. The only consolation I can suggest is that from the POV of those who voted for him, he's set the bar so high (in their terms, I repeat) that he can hardly fail to disappoint untold millions of them. I hope that's what happens and it happens quickly. Pity that we've got to wait another two months plus before it all starts to crumble to dust and he's back to blaming everyone but himself. Meanwhile, deepest commiserations to you and your more sensible country-folk.

    And btw, without any irony intended, I do hope that you manage to attain some enjoyment on this your birthday. Very best wishes on your reaching a three-quarter century. May the full 100 be far better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Ron.
    Enjoy your trip.
    He isn't President yet.
    David,#100

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Ron!!!

    And what a country!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. -been trying to feel not too upset, but it's been hard. And, yes, what a horrible birthday 'surprise' for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Ron!
    Have a great time on your trip!
    I am sad and disgusted by the result of the election! I hope we can get through the next 4 years without any of our civil rights being taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, I'm truly glad that you voted - since I've never voted in my entire life and that sort of makes me a hypocrite. Yet, I'm personally delighted to see Hillary vanish. It was an extremely long and nasty campaign for everyone and I think we've all relieved that it's finally over.

    I hope you had a great time in Philly and a very happy birthday (despite the election results).

    BTW - I heard something about a transit strike in Philly this week, but don't know if it's true. I hope it doesn't affect your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon I do have to met it's going to be a to finally hear the last of all the Hillary "criminal" talk. now I wonder what the public it's going to have to wind against the balls in their court lets them see what they can do now of course they're probably fail no blame everything on Hillary again and Obama.

    ReplyDelete