Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

Me and Bill yesterday at our neighbors' house - she may have voted for Trump but she still welcomes these two old gay guys proving there is still hope for the future in spite of the Trump presidency 


Good morning folks on this wonderful Thanksgiving Day 2016!

Now I am tempted to say What do we have to be thankful about after this election? Well, as depressing as the results of the presidential election (I still can't get used to the term "President Trump"), I feel we have much to be thankful for.

Take for instance the photo at the beginning of this blog post.  It was taken yesterday at our neighbors' home by a reverent Trump supporter (and a Obama/Hillary Hater).  Yes, we can have our political differences but we can still be friends, at least with some of those "basket of irredeemable deplorables".  Oh sure, I can't go back to where my father was born and spent the first nine years of his life in those western North Carolina Mountains bordering on Tennessee.  That was and still is hillbilly country.  Pristine white with primitive Baptist churches that preach the tenants of Christianity but totally exclude minorities of any kind, including this gay man.  But I can live in our house in this neighborhood without fear of bodily harm, threats or bullying like I experienced the last time I visited my father's birthplace. That photo was taken by a Trump supporter.  And you see we're smiling.  Not because Trump was elected president but because Bill and I are still welcomed in our neighbors' house despite our political differences. 

I have one very good blogger friend (he knows who he is) who (and this is putting it gently) not a fan of either Obama or Hillary. Quite frankly I wasn't a "fan" either but considering the alternative (Romney or Trump), I choose the more rational choice.

I'll admit it folks, this Thanksgiving I fear what our country is in for the next four years.  I don't mean to go on a political rant here but we do have a totally unqualified person as president elect.  Right now he's rewarding his cronies and sycophants with top government positions. He is blatantly flouting conflict of interest norms by continuing to run his personal business empire even as he struts around with his new  found power.  And here is the really sad part, the Republicans will do nothing to stop him as Trump blatantly ignores standards of decently in decorum that we in this country have always taken for granted.  

Thus, as I sit here at my computer listening to my Bose radio this morning in my little corner of the world, on the eastern coast of the United States in Delaware, one of the states that voted for the Democratic candidate (although my county where I live did not vote for Hillary but voted for Trump), I will appreciate what I have.  A comfortable home that is paid for. A loving and stable relationship with Bill (my life partner of fifty-two years in the photo).  A few good friends who are still alive.  Relative good health (my arthritis is catching up with me).  

I have enough to eat.  

I can pay all my bills.

I'm not in debt.

I'm not too ugly (yet, but I'm getting there, age does catch up with one)

Yes folks, I give thanks for this day and all the days I am privileged to live in the best country in the world.  Even though the days ahead are fraught with danger with the impending Trump presidency, I still have hope that some politicians will not be intimidated nor so selfish that they will keep Trump and his deplorables in check.  

Hope is all we have now.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving folks!  


14 comments:

  1. Not intending to cloud over your T-day celebrations, Ron - in fact, quite the reverse. Regarding the Trump and his appointments, just think - the best is yet to come. In a concerted effort to prove his inclusivity (remember he is the self-styled 'Great Unifier'!), after appointing a fair number of LGTBQs to high office he'll then be looking to getting a few pro-women's choice individuals onto his team, then some gun-control advocates, followed by some proponents of man-induced climate change - and then, for good measure, maybe a handful of prominent avowed atheists and secularists. So you, see - voila! Nothing at all to be worried about. Rejoice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Yeah, sure, right. Well, you made me smile today.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Having gone to a Southern Baptist college in the mountains (Madison County) of North Carolina, I know exactly what you are saying. While there, it was the first time I saw an old black man with a cane, jump off the sidewalk into the street to give way to a white person. Things have improved but the fight will continue. My neighbor (gay) whom I'm closest to is Republican. We argue daily over Trump/Hillary, but always part friends. Like you, we are debt free and do as we wish. A true luxury that I value every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      I always found it to be an anomaly that such a beautiful part of the country with such hospitable people turns ugly so quickly when someone different than their kind enters their midst. A gay man could never live openly in that part of the country and survive. I prefer not to live a lie and live in the closet. I find it ironic that for a part of the country so much self described in "Christian values" they are anything but.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I am very thankful for having you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You have enriched my life.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron I want to wish you and all in our great neighbour to the south a very happy Thanksgiving Day. And I also want to congratulate you and commend you on ending your blog on a high note that Trump has brought you hope - LOL.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm hoping Trump brings real meaningful change but I have to say I highly doubt it. This is all just an ego trip for him. I fear that the Republicans in Congress that can do real harm to this country by privatizing Social Security and Medicare will see Trump as an empty vessel to change existing social safety net laws. Their only agenda is reducing taxes for the rich and Trump is their perfect host since he doesn't believe in the rich paying ANY taxes as he has proven by not paying any taxes himself for years.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Wow - it's hard to believe that there is actually a Trump enthusiast in your neck of the woods. I thought all of Delaware was for Hillary....

    Anyway - it's great to see you and Bill smiling, and I hope your Thanksgiving Day was fantastic.
    This new "format" on Blogger has me infuriated and confused. Without the usual dashboard, I'm having trouble finding blogs and I'm missing a lot of posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Delaware has only three counties: New Castle County at the top of the state which includes Wilmington which is heavily Democratic. The second county in the middle of the state is Kent County. That includes Dover (and Dover AFB where all the military dead come back), which is also heavily Democratic. I live in the most southern county, Sussex County, also called "Lower Slower" for good reason. Lower Slower, aka Sussex County went for Trump big time. Sussex County, even though there is a large gay population in the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes/Milton area is solidly redneck. The redneck just tolerate us because we bring so much money into their county but believe me, you won't be seeing any Gay Pride Parades in Sussex County for even Rehoboth Beach. We know our place, especially at election time when this county always votes Republican. By the way, Vice President Joe Biden lives in New Castle County (Greenville - very fou fou and very Democratic).
      I don't "get" the new format in Blogger. What has it accomplished other than to justify jobs for some of the Blogger employees? Seems like change just for the sake of change. I would be novel if one of these "upgrades" actually improved something.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Great Pic, you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I'm shovel ready to dump Trump. Trickle down economics failed once. To all the Bernie Supporters who didn't vote, you gave the rich a tax cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right. Giving the rich a tax cut is the very first time on the agenda of both Trump and the Republicans in Congress. Then after they put the tax cut through they'll say they don't have money for anything else (except defense of course) so then they will have to cut the social programs. Good job Bernie Sanders supporters.

      Delete