Monday, November 28, 2016

Bill Is In the Hospital

Bill in the Emergency Room last night

Bill is in the hospital. 

Late yesterday afternoon he complained about an arthritis spill he took that got stuck in his esophagus.  He tried for an hour to loosen the pill.  I looked up on the Internet how to handle this situation. One of the suggestions was to drink warm water or tea. I made a tea for him and he felt the pill loosen.

Bill goes to bed much earlier than I do. Last night he went to bed at around 7:30 PM. His bedroom is in the basement, directly beneath my home office.

At about 10 o'clock I heard a tapping sound on the floor beneath my chair at the computer where I was finishing up some online Scrabble games.

I didn't know where the tapping was coming from.  At first I thought someone was trying to break in from outside.  Then I thought of Bill.  I left my desk and went to the top of the stairs that lead to our finished basement.  There was Bill on the floor moaning and struggling.  He had a bucket near him in which he had thrown up blood, a LOT of blood.  

Not to make this about me but I immediately started to shake (as I am now just writing about this).  I descended the steps and asked him what was happening.  He struggled to tell me that he had passed out when he went into the bathroom to throw up and now he was throwing up blood.  Again, a LOT of blood.

I immediately called 911.  Bill managed to put some clothes on and I helped him up the stairs to our garage.  Within five minutes I could see the lights of the ambulance coming down our drive.

The ambulance was the size of a Hummer, lights flashing but no sound (thank goodness, no need to wake up the neighbors at 10:30 at night).  

The EMI guys went through their protocol in asking Bill certain questions.  His name, what year is it, etc.  Poor Bill, he was in such pain and still vomiting blood.  He was trying to reach the bucket but one of the EMI guys told him just to do it on the floor of the garage. Thank goodness I was able to clean up that pool of blood when I returned from the Emergency Room several hours later.

I don't know what I was thinking but I rode along with the EMI guys in the ambulance that took Bill to the hospital.  I should have followed them down in my car.  Later I had to call my neighbor Barbara and asked her to bring me back.  What a neighbor I have.  Barbara has her own medical problems and here I wake her up in the middle of the night.  What WAS I thinking?  Bless her heart.

At the hospital, the folks in the emergency room quickly took control of the situation.  Bill was still in a great deal of pain. 

I don't want to make a novel out of this and I have to go down to the hospital this morning to see Bill but I wanted to let everyone know who cares about us what happened last night.

The doctors who examined Bill think that his esophagus hemorrhaged from taking too many anti-inflammatory pills, which Bill does take.  They stabilized the situation last night.  Today they will perform and endoscopy to see the extent of the damage to his esophagus.

Folks, to tell you that I was shook up last night would be an understatement of the grossest sort.  Bill and I have been together fifty-two years.  I literally cannot imagine my life without this man who I have lived with since I was twenty-two years old.  But again, I have to avoid making this about me. But last night Bill expressed to me his main concern was my welfare if he wasn't around. That's the kind of man he is, thinking of my welfare.  Well folks, I'm going make sure everything is taken care of for Bill and get him home as soon as possible. 

I'm off to the hospital now to visit him.  I'll update when I can.


33 comments:

  1. Ron, it was horrifying to read this - but I'm relieved to know that Bill is being taken care of, thanks to your quick thinking. I've been through numerous similar situations and can understand what you're going through. It is extremely stressful and emotionally draining.
    It was good that you went to the hosp[ital with Bill - and it's reassuring that you have such a wonderful neighbor.
    Take care and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Bill's home now. I'll write that show blog post after I respond to these comments. I have to tell you I thought I was losing Bill during that episode. Thanks for your concern.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:41 AM

    How scary! I'm sending you both massive, squishy hugs.

    Deedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deedles. Much appreciated.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I am truly so sorry to hear about Bill, I hope he is home and better soon, keep yourself strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,
      Bill is home now! Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I hope Bill recovers very soon... sending good thoughts to y'all from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy,
      Bill is home! Thanks for your good wishes!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Lucky you were home and not at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy,
      Yes! I thought of that too. Pure luck. We were also lucky I didn't go to bed earlier as I had planned. When I go to sleep, I'm out like I'm dead. I sleep deep. Thank goodness I was awake and heard Bill tapping the ceiling beneath my floor in my home office where I was sitting at my desk.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Sending you and Bill good thoughts! Hope he has a very speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mags,
      Bill is out of the hospital and home, thank goodness. Thank you for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Oh My! Take care, wishing Bill a swift recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Bill is home David! We're on the way to recovery.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. That must have been pretty scary! I used to be an EMT, but the feelings you get helping others can turn to panic when it's your own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      It was scary. Perhaps the scariest time ever for us. I never saw so much blood at one time. And I can't take blood. I'm thankful I didn't faint, like I have done before when seeing so much blood.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Agree with Anon...thoughts and prayers to you and Bill!

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes Andy.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Ron and Bill
    My thoughts and best wishes are with you both.
    Bill,get well soon and Ron,stay strong!
    David,#100

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes David.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. My prayers are with Bill and my thoughts with you. Hoping to a speedy recovery for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes Melissa. Bill is home now.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. All my best hopes and wishes for Bill's speedy recovery. You did all the right things, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes George. Bill is home now.
      Ron

      Delete
  13. Thinking of you and Bill. xx from SF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      Bill is home now. Thank you for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  14. Sending good thoughts your way. All the best to Bill for a quick recovery. He's lucky to have you around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      Bill is home from the hospital now and we have our "home" again. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  15. Ron,

    Quick thinking on you part, Ron. Hoping everything turns out well for Bill. It is very upsetting when someone we love is ill and you feel so helpless. Take care, Ron. The way you have described Bill over the years, he seems like a very nice man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Tell me about it. This episode was perhaps the scariest time of my life. For Bill too. Yes, Bill is a very nice man. I cannot imagine my life without him. He's home now from the hospital and we have our "home" again.
      Ron

      Delete
  16. Anonymous4:03 PM

    Just good wishes for a very quick recovery for Bill and best wishes for you both.

    Jane in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes Jane. Bill is home from the hospital now.
      Ron

      Delete
  17. I read these out of order - glad he is back safe at home.

    ReplyDelete