In college I majored in marketing. I loved that major. Unfortunately I did not pursue a career in marketing. But that doesn't men that I don't know good marketing when I see it.
I am one of those rare people who study commercials. I have several main complaints about TV commercials:
- Commercials that feature the "dumb white man"as the central "funny" clueless consumer
- Commercials that feature actors that are too pretty and too skinny for the general public to identify with
- Commercials that feature a wailing singer strumming a guitar singing about "life"
- Commercials that are just loud
- Commercials that offer a "guarantee"
And this is just a short list. Most commercials are ineffective and annoying. Very few are informative and enjoyable.
|The commercials we used to be ffed|
However, every now and then on of these ad agencies "gets it" and makes a commercial that is not only innovative and pleasurable but breaks stereotypes. One such commercial is the latest from Allstate Insurance which features the black female comedian Leslie Jones from "Saturday Night Live." I have never seen Leslie Jones before but I have to tell you this is ONE EFFECTIVE commercial because not only is it enjoyable to watch, it is effective because now I will remember the company that the commercial is advertising - Allstate Insurance.
Very good folks, very good.