Monday, June 06, 2016

Bike Ride



Good morning folks!  I just got back from my longest bike ride in over thirty-six years. As regular followers of this blog know, I recently purchased a "previously owned" bike from a neighbor a few weeks ago. After having this bike overhauled and adding bells and whistles (literally), I've been taking daily rides only throughout the development here where Bill and I live.  This morning I decided to go for the whole enchilada and took a ride all the way down to the end of Oyster Rocks Road to the Broadkill River. 

Oyster Rocks Road is the road that leads into our development.  You might say I decided to spread my wings and go for the whole enchilada.  That I did and what a wonderful experience it was!

Many, many years ago, when we lived in center city Philly, I used to ride my bike all the time.  My usual route then was up the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to Kelly Drive (formerly "River Drive", renamed after John Kelly - brother of Grace Kelly - died while jogging on that same River Drive).  I thought nothing of traveling those long distances.  Of course I was much younger and limber them, the year being 1976.  Hey, I just did the math and that was FORTY YEARS ago!  Wow, I am constantly amazed at how fast time goes by.  Especially when one is having "fun" like I am.

So I took the turn out of our development and bicycled the 2 1/2 miles down to the Broadkill River.  I would have taken a video of my ride but I didn't want to take the chance of falling off my bike while trying to handle my iPhone 6S Plus.  Instead, I just stopped my bike and took the video at the beginning of this post. 

Folks, I have to tell you that the experience of driving down Oyster Rocks Road to the Broadkill is so much different than riding down that same route, which I often do with Bill - for our "daily ride", than driving in a car.  In the car I don't hear the gentle breeze.  I don't smell the faint whiff of the wild honeysuckle vines growing along side the road.  I don't hear the in nature sounds of the birds looking for their breakfast in the wetlands that surround Oyster Rocks Road.  Riding my bike on that road, I felt so free.  I literally was "one with nature."  

Yes indeed, this morning was indeed a good morning. 

Have a great day everyone!


9 comments:

  1. Ron - so great that the bike is working out well for you. You have so many sunny days to enjoy it. And when you are visiting in Toronto - you can ride my bike. It's generally fine on the smaller residential streets. The main roads would drive you nuts - if not maim you or worse. Keep on Bikin'!!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I love my bike! One of he best investments I've made recently. How about if I rent a bike when I visit you in Toronto?
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Good going! I miss riding, but I live at the top of a hill and can't deal with the climb back up. I'm a wimp these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      Such a good feeling riding my bike! Not a problem with hills here in coastal Delaware. If I was still living in Pennsylvania, I doubt if I would get a bike.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Good to see that it's everything you hoped it would be, plus more, and you're making the most of the fine weather. Looks like perfect cycling country - even if the wind does sometimes sound like a hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Yes, I do live in good cycling country. Do you have a bike? If not, you should get one. Great fun!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Wow!

    That looks like a great ride, Ron, and just outside your backdoor!

    Google Earth has a great shot of 'Dead End' sign at the end of the road...makes me feel like I'm on the beach!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I know that "DEAD END" sign. In fact, it has bullet holes though it (compliments of some of our local yahoos). Oyster Rocks Road, great ride!
      Ron

      Delete