Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Day After Christmas



 Well, we got through another Christmas
didn't we folks? 

Tis the day after Christmas and nary a . . . . what? Mouse was scurrying through the house?  I hope not.  Something like that anyway.

I for one am glad all this Christmas excess is over with.  Oh for sure, I like some aspects of Christmas but don't you think "the holidays" start way too early?  I don't know about you but I saw my first Christmas displays at the END OF AUGUST.  Excuse the blasphemy but "for Chrissakes" (pun intended).  

I'm always relieved when I don't have to hear Santa actors faux laughing"HO! HO!" ing on the TV commercials and car salesmen dressed as elves shouting "GUARANTEED!" as they spew their lies about giving you big bucks for your trade in.

Yesterday I took Bill and myself down to the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk.  I have my own little tradition of cleaning out my freezer and giving the largess to the sea gulls on the beach.  Bill says "Isn't it illegal to feed the birds?"  I answer "Of course it is what what isn't illegal at Rehoboth Beach?"  Rehoboth Beach has so many rules and regulations



that I gave up on trying to be a good little boy and obeying all of them.  It's not going to be the end of the world if I throw out those lousy seasoned frozen Ore Ida French Fries.  What was I thinking when I bought those? 

So we drove down a foggy and occasional rain showered Route One to Rehoboth.  I parked by the Henlopen Hotel where I usually park those rare times I go into Rehoboth these days.  I parked right up near the boardwalk entrance.  I could hear a squawking kid on the beach.  Always someone on the beach.  Squawking kids are my favorites.  NOT.

I did a quick 180, looking for the Beach Patrol.  Seeing none, I opened the hatchback of my Subaru and retrieved the plastic Walmart back of the aforementioned lousy Ore Ida Seasoned French Fries and two big packed of wraps.  I no longer do hummus wraps for lunch, I each my hummus with pita chips now.  More information that you needed to know perhaps but this is my blog.  All info, all the time.

The sand was went beneath my shoes as I big footed it to the beach to dump my Christmas Treat for the sea gulls.  Sand in my car!  

With the squawking kid providing beach ambiance in the background, I dump my freezer rejects on the wet sand. 

Before I got back to the boardwalk I heard the Lookout Seagull drown out the Squawking Kid to let his or her flock know that there were goodies on the beach for them this Christmas morning. 

I returned to our car and a waiting Bill.  I killed two birds yesterday morning.  I fed the birds and took Bill for his ride.  

Thus Christmas 2015 is ended.  We had a good day folks.  I hope you did too.





16 comments:

  1. Dear Ron:

    Glad you and Bill had a nice Christmas day! I always read and enjoy your blog; such a great voice you have. And I love to see your stories of Philadelphia; I'm originally from Yardley (in Bucks County) and now in Ohio....I would love to have gone to the beach to feed the seagulls...regulations or not.

    Hope 2016 is a good one!

    Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle,
      I am very pleasantly surprised that I have so many readers of my blog outside of the narrow circle of old gay men, not that there is anything wrong with that (smile). Welcome and have a very happy new year.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours and greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      So good to hear from another new person on my comments page, especially a person from Canada. You know I LOVE Canada!
      A very happy New Year to you!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Today in the grocery store the Christmas items are marked for quick sale - and across from them is The Valetine's Day candy already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Unbelievable. Of course right after the Valentine's Day candy is Easter. Well, at least it is spring time and the daffodils will be up.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Feed the birds, color outside the lines, have a lot of fun along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Absolutely! That is my mantra.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. My favorite is to visit the SPCA with a pocket full of doggie treats. I know your getting excited about your trip to the left coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I would do that (go to the SPCA) but my only problem is that I get so depressed seeing all those homeless animals and I would want to adopt them all. Oh you bet I'm excited about my upcoming trip to California!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Randy in NEB11:01 PM

    Hi Ron, Well Christmas is over only 6 months more until Summer is here. Today I did a 2 for 1,through out some stale bread and fed the squirrels and the birds. I guess it's about 2 more weeks before you and Pat leave for LA. Be safe and have fun. Bye here from snowy, cold Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      We're having very mild weather here (so far). Almost spring like. In fact it is spring like, bulbs are blooming. No snow (yet) and I hope we don't see any. And yes, only two more weeks until the Ron and Pat Show is on the road again, this time California! By best to you for the New Year Randy!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron - you have these traditions. And they are memorable and something you look forward to - and I'm glad you share them with us.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You know me, I love my traditions and I LOVE sharing!
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Don't tell anyone, but long ago we used to do all kinds of illegal things in Rehoboth. Some of them even under the boardwalk. The rent-a-cops weren't terribly interested in our antics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      Well, that's one "claim to fame" I cannot make. By the way, there is no "under the boardwalk" now in Rehoboth.
      Ron

      Delete