Friday, September 25, 2015

Pope Francis

I've been absent from these parts the past few days.  In addition to my regular activity, I've been following the almost continuous coverage of Pope Francis's visit to America.


At first, I was annoyed by what promised to be wall to wall Pope coverage.  But you know folks, the more I watched, the more I became at peace.  This man, Pope Francis, is sending a different message than previous Popes or religious leaders.  His message over and over is one of inclusion.  Dignity and respect for even those of us who are on the lowest rungs of the socio-economic ladder.

I'm getting a big kick out of watching how the Powers That Be try to keep taking the Pope away from contact with the Great Unwashed Masses, and keep him isolated for their exclusive use.  

Yesterday, after his address to the joint session of Congress, did he have lunch with the Powers That Be?  All the IMPORTANT people.  Or rather, self-important people?  No, he had lunch at a D.C. homeless shelter. Brave Pope Francis.

Over and over again Pope Francis exudes inclusiveness.  To me, even though I'm not religious, the true tenants of the Christian faith.  How novel in a religious leader, not to condemn but to practice inclusiveness.  He even said yesterday while addressing the mass of people outside House Speaker John Boehner's balcony office at the Capitol building (and I paraphrase here):

"Those who believe, pray for me and those who do not believe wish me well."

Finally, something I can say when so many other are offering prayers for whatever malady has befallen them or their families.  I've never felt comfortable saying "I'll pray for you" because I don't believe in prayer but I do believe in wishing people well.  

Thank you Pope Francis, for being a true emissary of Christianity.

12 comments:

  1. Ron - I think the pope is a pretty impressive guy because I believe he's genuine. I'm pretty sure he'd be glad to be rid of a lot the ceremony and excess that surrounds him. At the same time he's trying to forge ahead in expressing or translating spirituality in a way which isn't based on concepts no longer relevant. It is an interesting time.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Excellent reply. Being a former Protestant (Southern Baptist), even I see the value and goodness of this man, who just happens to be the Pope of the Catholic Church.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Great post, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I just found out that the quote attributed to Pope Francis wasn't his, but I'll subscribe to it anyway.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I've never endorsed the concept of a Pope or the paganism of Catholicism, but Pope Francis seems to be an independent thinker and a man of great honesty. He speaks the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Same here, I've could never get past all the pageantry of the Catholic Church (but being gay as I am I do like the color and sparkle), Pope Francis does seem to live the concepts of true Christianity which, unfortunately, all too many self-professed Christians do not practice in their daily lives.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you George. Unfortunately the quote I attributed to Pope Francis is an Internet hoax but I subscribe to it anyway. It is the way I think.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, I wrote a rather lengthy rejoinder to your post here about this 'Pope of Hope' (?) but I think it's been lost in the ether. Rather than repeat it again here all I'll say is that when Papa Frankie goes for good - and he can't have that much time left - I suspect many in Vatican authority will be glad to see the back of him. Then the Church will revert to type, with all the finger-wagging it does so well, as well as interfering in everyone's lives whether Catholic or not. But, I suppose, while he's on the papal throne, it's a case of 'enjoy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I'm about as far from subscribing to Catholicism as one can get but I do like this man. By the way, the quote I put on my blog attributed to Pope Paul was an Internet hoax. Still, it is the way I feel.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. reading these backwards (as is my wont) i see the quote which you state was a hoax. I guess in hindsight (literally) it sounds too good to be true. :-)
    I like its contents whoever said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like someone else said on my Facebook post, "if he didn't say it he should have."

      Delete