Sunday, September 27, 2015

Following the Pope Cape Flap Coverage





The Pope arrived in Philadelphia yesterday.  For many years I lived in Philly.  I was working in center city Philadelphia when Pope John Paul visited in 1979. Hundreds of thousands turned out to see Pope John Paul on that spring day in 1979.  I  don't remember security holding me back from going out at lunch.  My only delay was the shoulder to shoulder people.

Today, I understand that Philadelphia is in lockdown.  Everyone who enters Philly is searched, more thorough than airport security.  Wow. Am I ever glad I don't live in Philly now.  The world has changed folks.  On days like this I am glad I live in LSD, also known as Lower Slower Delaware (Sussex County).  Oh we have our crowds.  Check us out at the height of the summertime season when a tsunami of tourists descend on our welcoming shores.  Thankfully the tourists have left and the parking meters are turned off.  We have our sunny, sandy, windy shores back.

Yesterday, while watching Pope Francis deliver an address to a somewhat sparse crowd at Independence crowd, I amused when his cape blew up over his head.  For an instant I thought the Pope was celebrating Halloween early as a ghost.  I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. And oh, who was THAT who was helping him to keep his cape under control on that windy day?  Ah ha!  That was his ever present interpreter.  I want to know more about HIM.  He could follow me around anytime. 




So you see folks, I'm not all that serious about the Pope.  I think he's delivering a good message of kindness and inclusiveness but I can also see the humor.  And there were times when the Pope saw the humor too but maybe not with his cape covering his face.  



A little early for Halloween ghosts

I don't know, was God sending a message? Mother Teresa?

16 comments:

  1. An interesting moment, Pope Francis being attacked by his own clothes. I too have this problem, but usually much earlier in the day. He could try sewing Velcro to the collar but his alert colleague was able to correct the problem quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      Interesting to see that even the Pope is subject to the same everyday maladies that we common folks endure each day.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'd hate to see what would have happened to the Pope if he'd been in WINDY West Texas. The airborne cape would have transported him back to the Vatican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I had to laugh out loud when I read your comment! Thanks for my biggest laugh of the day (so far anyway, I'm up for more).
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I reckon it was a a message from the Almighty to just STFU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You and Jon, funny!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:05 AM

    Hi, Ron. This is completely off topic, but I have a question for you about flying the unfriendly skies. I think you and I may use the same type of special shampoo, and I was wondering how you handled that. From what I can tell about the TSA's info page, I believe I can empty some into a small bottle (must be less than 3.4 oz!!!) to somehow fit into my just HUGE (sarcasm) clear quart-sized bag. Is that what you did?

    Anyway, hope you and yours are doing well. I continue to very much enjoy reading your posts. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Yes, that is exactly what I did. I got one of those generic plastic bottles from Walmart measuring 3.4 oz., filled it with my tar based shampoo and put that plastic container in a clear sized bad also purchased at Walmart for travel and passing TSA security checkpoints. I haven't had a problem yet getting past security with that bad or container.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:23 PM

      Ha, ha, ha, I'm not Randy (or at least not by name), but thanks for the info! I feel much better now about trying to squeeze things into that VERY smalll quart-sized bag. Again, thanks so much for the info! ~~ NB

      Delete
    3. Sorry NB! I've caught myself before not confusing you with my good friend Randy of Nebraska. Try those smaller containers, they'll get you right through security.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Randy in NEB.5:08 AM

      Hi Ron, Here I am. Sorry for not being around more! Again work wants more and more of my time. ten hour days. I did catch some news about the Pope. His days on the east coast are about as whirl-wind as mine was last march of 2014. I've had no trouble with TSA and containers of product. Maybe we can meet up in Chicago some time! Randy in NEB.

      Delete
    5. Randy,
      Good to hear from you again. I'm off the Pope since I read about this secret meeting with Kim Davis, the Kentucky court clerk who refuses to issue same sex marriage licenses. Randy, you have to slow up and enjoy life. Life goes by too quickly. Enjoy it while you are in good health.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. The pope (lower case intentional) is still shockingly retro with his views of gay marriage and women in the priesthood. I grant that he is shaking up the catholic (lower case intentional) church, and saying some nice things, so I give him that credit. But in the end he is just a man who is evolving like the rest of us schlubs. He has some evolving to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On this we agree Tony. The pope (lower case, higher case - I say "tomato" an you say tomato-oh") is still the conservative leader of a church that is does not approve of homosexuality but as he said "Who am I to judge?" Indeed, who is he or anyone to judge? So as you see, he may be evolving just as many of us in the Great Unwashed Masses are evolving.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hey Ron - the only following I did of this epic visit is whatever you posted. And from what I saw I bet he's glad to be back home. I also think he's probably a lot more liberal than some give him credit for. He's well aware of limits he must maintain while trying to put forth a far more open expression of Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I think you're right. He can't go too far, the position he's in but at least he's going in the right direction.
      Ron

      Delete