Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Canadian National Exhibition



Yesterday, Pat and I spent a full day at the Canadian National Exhibition. 

What is the CNE you ask?  It is a national (Canadian) celebration. Last year was the first time I attended and that was strictly by a fluke.  I just happened to be visiting my friend Pat in Toronto while the CNE was in progress.  I had such a good time last year at the CNE I made it a point to visit Canada again when the CNE was in full progress.

What a full day we had.  I am exhausted as is Pat.  

We start out early in the afternoon (2:30 PM) and didn't leave until 11:00 PM last night.  We took public transportation down and back.  A mixture of trolley, subway and buses.  I sure am glad Pat knows his way around Toronto because if I attempted to do that by myself, I would still be wandering around in downtown Toronto asking questions how to get back to Tinytown (which is where Pat lives).

So what did we do besides walk a lot, eat a lot and, did I say walk a lot? 

Pat talked me into see a dog show.

 
I was reluctant but now I'm glad he took me because I had a fabulous time watching those dogs do their antics.

We also saw two musical performances.  One was Lee Harvey Osmond (similar sounding name, right? to someone we ALL know).  The other was Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  All fabulous!  Nothing like live musical performances.  Nothing like FREE live musical performances! 



We took two rides.  One on a Ferris Wheel.  Lots of fun.  The other on the Magic Mouse (I think that's the name).  It's a roller coaster.  Pat and I promptly lost our favorite hats two minutes into that herky, jerky ride.  Those hats, that were so loved by us, are now laying abandoned on the discarded cigarette butt ground amongst the steel rod construction of that ride.  Ces't la vie dear hats.  We'll never have that recipe again.  Today, of course, we're on a mission to replace those hats. 

Eat, God did we ever eat.  The CNE food court is HUGE.  So much to choose from.  All delicious except for one burrito that I got that was basically canned baked beans and wilted iceberg lettuce.  That sad torpedo promptly was deposited into the trash after my second bite when I determined I was eating a big tasteless mess.  Oh well, I got a falafel wrap that quickly assuaged my sour puss countenance. 




Folks, I did a lot of walking yesterday and buy the end of the day I really was dragging. Walking had always been my big thing.  However, after yesterday, I'm really feeling my age.  I don't know if my fatigue was caused my my leg injury this year that is still in the process of healing or just the fact that I'm a 73 year old man trying to carry on like a 37 year old.  In my mind I'm 37 but I think my body is trying to tell me something different.  

Today is a quiet, recoup day.  We've been pretty busy ever since I landed in Buffalo last Wednesday.  Pat has been the perfect tour director.  Hey folks, I wish you could all have a friend like Pat.  

Pat is off to yogi day, taking a short break from keeping me entertained.  I think I'll take a short nap before leaving this front door to my right and seeing what delights and adventures that Toronto has to offer today.  

Carpe diem!

10 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but losing those hats was a good thing! I suggested replacing them way back when you were in L.A. Now you get to find suitable new ones that will certainly be an upgrade--ha! Looks like you are having a grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Tony. They were pretty greasy. Ironically Pat and I had just washed them at the laundromat earlier in the day. We got new hats. I like mine but I can guarantee you, you won't like Pat's.

      Delete
    2. Pat's is okay--I like them both!

      Delete
    3. Tony,
      I will try to replicate Pat's original hat. I got it at Walmart. There are sure to be more where that one came from although the one he list had sentimal value, I gave it to him when we first met two years ago.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying these updates and am delighted that you're having such a great time. I hope you and Pat can replace the hats.

    It's difficult to find a good burrito anywhere. I even had some lousy ones in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I'm having a hard time updating my blog. Pat is a superb tour director, something every day. I've given up on getting a good burrito. Seems like most places just throw anything into their burritos. Slop. For the rest of my stay in Toronto, we're going to the Big Carrot, a local all veggie, organic place.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Roger6:12 PM

    When you get home you will need a vacation from your vacation.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. walking is good for you; don't want to gain pounds eating all that decadent food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I know walking is good for me and anyone else. That's the one thing I always had my whole life, the ability to walk anywhere. However, since my leg injury I now have a problem of endurance. My orthopedic surgeon did tell me that complete recover would take up to a year. Wow. I think I did overdo the walking on our first day in Canada at Niagara Falls. I'm not walking as much now. Still walking though, building up my leg muscles.
      Ron

      Delete