Friday, July 03, 2015

Happy Anniversary! Fifty-One Years and Counting!


Bill and I after the "deed was done." Pure happiness

Today marks our 51st anniversary.  Yes, we're Two Old Gay Men who survived.  

Two years ago Bill and I got officially married at the Sussex County Courthouse in Georgetown, Delaware.  

Ever notice when gay couples get married they all have BIG SMILES?

Our dear friends Jack and Judy Dawson were our witnesses.  

The Happy Newlyweds with their witnesses, Jack and Judy Dawson

Although our official marriage resulted in most of my family (two brothers and their families and many cousins who didn't show  up at the family reunion because Bill was there), we were so fortunate to have friends like Jack and Judy.  Our dear neighbors Bob and Barbara Murphy also volunteered to be our witnesses.  These fine folks are my "new" family, since my family can't bring themselves to recognize that Bill and I are their equal now.  Even one longtime close friend greatly disappointed me when I informed him of my marriage he blithely said "What's next? Marrying your pet?" I have mentioned this conversation before in previous blog posts so I won't go into it again now just to minimize the negativity on this post and this wonderful day.  Needless to say I told him his comment was very insulting and hurtful.  However, I still don't think he or his wife "gets it" which is a shame.  But people, even family or longtime friends who want to continue to view us as Less Than and not their equal in societal law, I cannot let them hold me back from living my life as a free and equal citizen of this country.

Waiting outside the Sussex County Courthouse with our friends (witnesses) Jack and Judy Dawson

Today marks the first day of our 52 year together.  It doesn't seem that long ago that I met Bill on a rainy Saturday night in July at the Westbury Bar on South 15th and Spruce Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Truth be told, Bill knew at that time that we would be together the rest of our lives.  To me, he was just a very nice man who was kind to me and treated me like a prince (and still does).  

Bill overcome with emotion as we're announced "husband and husband"

During the past fifty-one years, we've had our ups and downs like all couples, gay or straight.  But we've always been (lived) together no matter what our travails and circumstances.  I know it's an old overused cliche but Bill has always been "there" for me and I for him.  And we will be together until one of us departs this earthly existence.  

Bill couldn't hold the tears back

So on this day and every July 3rd until I die I will always remember that dreams sometimes do come true.  

Bill and I reflecting on our future together at the Georgetown Circle Fountain after we got married




28 comments:

  1. Ron - another nice piece of your life. You have accomplished what so many can't today - the ability to ride the ups and downs. Which is the case not only with couples, but business agreements, entertainment acts and so on. So big congratulations to you and Bill.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      On the mosaic of my life, Bill has been the constant. Of course, we have had our "differences", and some trying times but through it all we always knew we loved one another no matter what obstacles we encountered. I have always felt so fortunate that I met Bill and we have had our long and secure relationship. We were meant to be together. I always knew that.
      Thanks for your comment Pat. You're very thoughtful and generous.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Congrats ..... I look forward to your 60th year celebration �� �� ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Sixty years, that's what we're shooting for! Of course Bill will be 95 years old and I'll be 82, not an impossible goal but one that is achievable. I cannot imagine what kind of life I would have had without Bill. He has always been my anchor and kept me from going astray. Bill is my rock.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David! I look forward to your 51st anniversary. Of course I'll be well over 100 years old but what the hey? (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Happy Anniversary to you and Bill, Ron! Hard to believe that the option of marriage is ours now, nationwide. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Never in a million years way back in the Dark Ages when homosexuality was a crime and those who were homosexual (a quaint word isn't it?) were deemed to have a mental illness (I believed it), that one day not only would gays (Homosexuals) be part of mainstream society but that we could marry the person we love regardless of sex. Tis surely a magic time these days.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hard to believe it has already been 2 years. It seems like yesterday when I got so happy and excited for you. Wishing you and Bill many, many, many more years of happiness, friendship and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadge,
      Didn't that two years go by fast? Wow! Bill is the love of my life. So odd because we are so different in so many ways but we were meant to be and we shall be. I am one of the lucky ones.
      Thanks for your well wishes Nadege. Always appreciated.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Happy Anniversary, Ron and Bill. There's no better way to improve the world than with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      You got that EXACTLY right! Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to you and Bill for overcoming the odds and adversities and having an enduring relationship for over half a century. That's an accomplishment which you can be proud of - - and it's an inspiration for others - especially for gay couples. Anyone who opposes this union is probably envious. The photos are great documentation of a joyful and momentous occasion.

    Your story often makes me wonder what could have been in my own life. The greatest love of my life - and the person I wanted to be with forever - was killed long ago. Someday, I'll have the courage to write about it.

    You're very fortunate, Ron. Savor every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. I too have often wondered what my life would have been like if I hadn't met Bill and he insisted that I move in with him way back in 1964. It scares me to think of where I would be now if not for Bill sticking with me through my frivolous and self-inflicted wounds during our fifty-one years together. But Bill and I literally believe in the "through the good and bad" parts of the relationship and believe me, we've been through some bad parts but at the end, I always knew I would remain with Bill. It is literally "to death do us part."
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Have a great anniversary, guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A VERY happy anniversary to you both, Ron and Bill. With your shining example you're showing the rest of the world how it can be done. May it go on every bit as long as you hope it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      During our fifty-one years together we have seen many of our friends and neighbors break up. In fact I can only think of three couples who have been together longer than us (Larry and Lois, Jack and Judy, and my brother John and his wife Barbara). My parents were married for sixty years before my father died in 2000. That's my goal, to beat their record!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. A goal to aim for, Ron. May you achieve it.

      Delete
  10. So, so wonderful! Congratulations to you both!!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is big. Planned to say "Happy Independence Day!"
    but then this... Congratulations, you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fit Studs,
      I always get a kick out of all the "celebration" that goes on (a day later) on our anniversary. The whole country shoots off fireworks!
      Ron

      Delete
  12. Happy anniversary!
    Cheers to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. Now there is a goal for you and Carlos, fifty years. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! I will raise a glass to you today in your honor and celebrate just a little more freedom for humans in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono,
      I'm just glad we lived long enough to see this day. Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  14. Ron, Sorry to come to this anniversary party late. It seems too bad that your happy event couldn't have happened sooner. Happy anniversary and hope you and Bill had a great Forth. Now if I could just find somebody that can put up with me. lol. Randy in Neb.

    ReplyDelete