Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Coffee Shop Pat


My (Canadian) buddy Pat loves coffee.  

Now why do I preface my reference to my pal Pat with "Canadian"?  Heck if I know other than I am proud to have this splendid Canadian (actually he's half American, his Mom was born in Detroit, Michigan) as my friend.  But I digress.

Pat loves coffee.  He loves coffee shops.  In his hometown of Canada there is NOT a day that goes by that he doesn't grace a coffee shop in his hometown of Canada.  Why even this morning he sent me a video while he was having coffee at a fro fro coffee shop in Yorkville (that's the Canadian Beverly Hills, CA to you folks).  


A familiar site in the morning wherever Pat is, getting his morning coffee whether it be at McDonald's, the local Mom and Pop coffee shop or frou frou Forrest Hills in Toronto Canada


Me, I never got into the coffee Thing.  I can drink it and I don't mind a good cup of real java but most coffee I've had in my life taste like colored hot water with an old dishrag left in it.  Starbucks is the exception but their caramel creme latte is more like a dessert isn't it?



Pat has a tradition whenever he visits Lower Slower, we go out in the morning and he treats me to one of these hot sugary confections.  We hit the Starbucks on Route One, towards Rehoboth.  That Starbucks is always bustling and I wouldn't go there unless Pat is visiting.  

Last month while Pat during Pat's annual visit to Casa Tipton-Kelly, he accompanied me to my thrice weekly physical therapy sessions in Milton. I usually have these sessions from 9 AM to 10 AM.  Afterwards Pat was delirious of his morning coffee break.  And you know me, always one to accommodate when someone is kind to me and Pat did accompany me to my PT sessions. 

As we left the physical therapy center I mentioned to Pat "There has to be a coffee place in Milton.  I know Milton is dead but I can't imagine they don't have a place to get coffee."  And lo and behold, viola!  As we were riding down Federal Street in Pat's rented car, there it was, a coffee shop!  Who knew?  In quaint little Milton, an actual coffee shop.


Pat in the Milton coffee shop

Of course we were the only patrons in the shop except for the Town Lech (which I didn't find out about until later).  But what a pleasant interlude, right here in River City Milton.  Actually Milton is a "River City."  The Broadkill River runs right through it and, occasionally, during a heavy nor'easter or a hurricane, downtown Milton does get flooded.


Flooding in downtown Milton DE

While we were at the coffee shop Pat received a phone call from his real estate agent.  She told him he had a buyer for his lot!  So, it looks like this quaint, little coffee shop in downtown Milton won't be Pat's regular coffee hangout after all.  Oh well, Toronto has plenty of coffee shops. 

Bid adieu Pat.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - yep, I guess coffee is a bit of a ritual with me. And the Milton shop sure is a nice cafe. I look forward to being there again soon. And while the land sale hasn't yet closed - tho I expect it will - I'm not giving up on my dual citizenship. I might have a better indication next month. Back to your topic - there are coffee houses galore in Toronto. And all doing great business. Whether a franchise or independent - it is the norm to see people walking around with a cup of coffee and staring at their smart phones. It reminds me of scenes in the Simpsons when the family is walking thru a mall and every 3rd or 4th storefront is a Starbucks. And Starbucks is in almost every neighbourhood in Toronto. It no longer seems to be a subculture.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I have a feeling your dual citizenship is going to come through. I don't know why I never got into the habit of drinking coffee. Both of my parents drank coffee every day. They never banned us (me and my brothers) from drinking coffee. We just never did. It isn't that I don't like the taste of (good) coffee, I do. Same with guns. My father was a hunter but neither me nor my brothers got into the "gun thing." After my father died my Mother told us we could "split up" my father's guns. None of us was interested so she gave them to the son of his good friend Harry who died several years (of lung cancer too) before my father. Now I do have other habits of which you are quite aware (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  2. You both make a perfect couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I concur!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I like coffee but have only drunk instant since the year dot, something which in your terms you would possibly describe as more muck than coffee. Making a mug of the real stuff is just too much trouble and, for me, convenience rules!

    I'm not daring to play your videos due to the frailty of this equipment. Chances are that if I tried it would freeze the darn thing for anything up to six hours - or even longer. Pity, but that's the state to which we're now reduced. (Sob sob!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      It's a shame you can't see the videos because they really are quite entertaining. As for drinking instant coffee, you're right. I wouldn't go near instant coffee. I've tasted it and . . . . . . ugh. Not at all.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I drink instant coffee all the time - for the same reason Ray stated: making the real stuff is too damn much trouble!
      ....but that caramel creme latte looks extremely tempting.......

      Delete
    3. I'll come back to the videos later, Ron, when I'm feeling brave enough to try playing them - perhaps assisted by a little wine! (Little?)

      Delete
    4. Ray,
      It's a shame you can't see the videos. They really are quite good.
      Ron

      Delete
    5. Jon,
      I can't stand instant coffee. To me it tastes like hot water with something dark and unknown in it.
      Ron

      Delete
    6. I've now played both your videos here, Ron. Unfortunately a lot of it is lost out to me because the sound and vision is now so out of synch (it always was so but now it's just ridiculous) that I've got to guess who is saying what. (To my 'foreign' ears both your voices sound pretty similar though I guess that you can detect a strong Canadian accent in Pat's). But thanks anyway.

      Delete
    7. Ray,
      I'm sorry you couldn't see the videos in their full glory. They really are quite fun (if I do say so myself).

      Ron

      Delete
  4. drink tea.
    here's a link for mr. pat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOicOP5N4EU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I gave up drinking tea (on the advice of my urologist) after my third kidney stone emergency room visit.
      Ron

      Delete