Saturday, June 13, 2015

Bingo!



That's what I got playing my new obsession, online Scrabble.  

Oh yes, I have a new "obsession."  I'm not one for playing games, especially computer games and ESPECIALLY Facebook computer games.  

I've lost count of the times I've been invited to play games by some of my Facebook friends.  I always turn them down or ignore those requests because I just don't have enough time to play games.  Heck, I don't even have enough time to live my life as it is.

You might wonder where I was the past few days.  Did you notice I haven't posted for awhile?  That's not me.  

Well, here is what happened:


  • I got called into work early Monday.
  • I was asked to work for a co-worker on Wednesday.
  • Then I worked my regular shift on Thursday.
  • I also had three days of physical therapy.
  • And for the icing on the cake I had an ultra-sound at my cardiologist's office.
Yep, Ron's been a busy guy.  Plus, we're eyeball deep in a heat wave (high 80's and low 90's) with about 100% humidity.  

After all this activity I'm just about worn out.  In fact, I am worn out because I still don't have my full strength back.  But you know what I do have time for and relaxes me?  Playing on-line Scrabble.

Me beating my computer opponent but then I am playing "Beginner" - still it's good to win  EVERY TIME

Now I don't play with anyone except Pat (now no naughty thoughts please) and the computer.  

I like playing on my iPhone because I can pick up up at anytime at any location (usually when I'm in the bathroom library). 

Me playing against the computer and lo and behold, don't I see a BINGO word! Now to find a place for "Volley" on that crowded Scrabble board.

So where did this late in life obsession with Scrabble come from?  Well, my friend Pat likes to play Scrabble.  He plays almost every week with his friend Ed.  When I visited Pat last year I played with him and got soundly trounced except for one lucky night (our last night together) when I got a BINGO! on the last move and beat the pants off of him.  It was sweet and a perfect way to end my vacation sojourn in maple leaf country.

And when I play Scrabble on my iPhone I have a "Teacher" who tells me how I could do better but sometimes I actually match the Teacher - I love this Electronics Art software for Scrabble!

But since then, like when Pat visited here in Lower Slower recently, we played Scrabble and he soundly trounced me again.  So, being the competitive guy I am I have made it my mission to practice, practice and practice until I can give Pat a real challenge and wipe that smirky smile off of his face.  

Would you believe that Pat had THREE BINGOS! to beat me?  How can I compete against that kind of skill? Practice, practice, practice
So while the sun bakes outside I'm staying inside the cool climes of Casa Tipton-Kelly.  

Practice, practice, practice.

16 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I was wondering what was going on, not like it not seeing you online.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Busy with work, PT and doctor's appointments and the next thing I know it's Friday. I go through the same routine next week. At least I'm back on the work schedule which is good. Have to replenish the coffers.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't dare play Scrabble, for two reasons:
    1. I have a vocabulary of about 50 words
    2. I'm a poor loser

    I'm glad that your recent absence from blogging merely meant that you have been delightfully busy. No heat wave here on the mountain. The temperature, for the most part, has been pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I don't believe you have a limited vocabulary. But I can believe you don't take losing so well. I don't either. That's about the only time I get mad ("mad" might be too strong of a word) with Pat. He trounces me so bad in Scrabble and I feel like such a dummy. I know I can do better, I just have to practice. Also, I love to win. And I would love to beat the pants off of Pat and wipe that satisfied smile off of his face that I've seen too often when he's beat me by about 200 points. The last game of Scrabble we played he got FOUR BINGOS! I asked him, "Did you ever get that many BINGOS with an opponent before?" Of course he didn't, just against old dummy here. I hope to change that equation.
      Still stifling hot, with the humidity here Jon. I don't mind warm weather but it's the humidity. I can't breath when it's this humid.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I love to play scrabble. There is another game you should check out "Chicktionary".
    I hope it cools down a bit in LSD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      When we visit next year we'll have to get a game of Scrabble on, a three way game with you, me and Pat. That should be fun!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I'm not very good but I'll play with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I might take you up on your offer in the future. Right now I need more practice and I like playing with the computer because it has a "Teacher" function that tells me how I could have done better. Plus, I can pick up and put down the game at anytime but if I was playing Scrabble with someone I would feel obligated to stay with the game until completion.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I stopped blogging, leaving comments on blog,s few years ago. I just want to tell you it was nice to see you saved that old photo taken of me. I was twenty five and worked at a Russian café on Sunset Blvd. I am still 6'1" weigh about ten pounds more and still have all my hair. I feel very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIke,
      Of course I saved the old photo of you, you handsome devil you. I have missed you in the blog world but I understand you leaving. Sometimes I'm tempted but I keep coming back. By the way, I also weigh about ten more pounds that I did when I graduated from high school and the weight I was most of my adult years (160 lbs). These days I'm a solid 170 lbs and no matter what I do short of starving myself, I cannot lose that extra ten pounds so I have resolved to live with the extra poundage (and increased waist size from 32 inches to 34 inches) the rest of my life. I am thankful though that I don't have one of those massive beer bellies that most of my former thin high classmates now have. When I go to the class reunions it's like most of the guys are eight months pregnant. I hope none of them read this comment.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hey Ron - I think I'll be up against some really stiff competition when we next meet. That happened once to a friend of mine. It was relatively easy to win against him at first until he got the bug and then routinely whooped me. But I've had a little practice too - should be good.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm practicing every day with the goal that when I visit you in August I can at least give you a credible challenge when we play Scrabble.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. It is helpful to have a portable diversion, when we are busing, something to provide a much needed distraction. I play a lot of solitaire on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I love having this portable diversion (I like this term). I hate wasting time so those times when I'm in the doctor's waiting room or in my "library" (bathroom), I can put that time to good use plus learn something. I don't like playing games though that I don't learn something and that's what playing Scrabble does for me, builds my vocabulary plus increasing my skill so Pat doesn't trounce me every time we play Scrabble. I am a sore loser (which I am reluctant to admit).
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I love to play scrabble although I am not good at it
    If you fancy it I would be honored to play some with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I too would be honored to play a game of Scrabble with you. Maybe the next time we're all in Toronto together?
      Ron

      Delete