Thursday, May 14, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Summer 1954

12 year old me on the steps up to our 2nd floor apartment - 1954

The summer of 1954 I was twelve years old.  

We lived in a second floor apartment on Boot Road in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.


Gindy Trailer Manufacturing Co. offices (first floor) - our family lived on the second floor - manufacturing plant is to the left (men on the ladders painting the building)
I shared a bedroom with my two younger brothers. 


Me with a headlock on my younger brother John - Gindy's in background
My brother Isaac with our Mom - Gindy's plant behind them


We lived rent free in the building because we (our family) was the "watchmen" for the Gindy Trailer Manufacturing Company, the plant of which was right next to the two story brick building we lived in.


Brother John with one of the Gindy's trucks - our "backyard"

The first floor of the building were the offices of Gindy's.


My Mom taking a break from her office cleaning duties at the Gindy offices (she didn't have far to travel for her job - when she got a job at Pepperridge Farm up the road I took over her office cleaning job at .55 cents an hour - she got paid .45 cents an hour because "she was a woman" - this is the way businesses operated in the Fifties

My youth may look spartan but folks, I'll take my experience as a teenager over growing up in a place like Grosse Pointe, Michigan or any other frou frou place.  

I grew up poor and have been poor most of my life, occasionally reaching the lower middle class for brief periods but only to fall back in upper lower class.  

That's probably why I'm not as polished as others and perhaps a bit more needy and insecure but folks, I like me just the way I am. 

A recently departed friend with unexpected bitterness, ranted that "I lived in the past."  Well, all I can say, guilty as charged.  I have my memories, my very fond memories and folks, I'm making new memories every day and I will continue to do so until I no longer am able to take a breath or see the light of the dawn of a new morning. 

I have a rich past, having a great time now and have a lot to look forward too.  


Me and our first dog, "Sam", a Chesapeak Bay Retriever mix mongrel - 1954



12 comments:

  1. It's time for another dog to join you on your future walks 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I agree with you 100%! Now to convince Bill (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron, I enjoy reading your blog because you have a sound sense of what is right and just. As that sense engages the present, it must be informed by the past. It's important to know how to have a past and you are good at it. All this addresses a positive future. I consider you a good influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo. It warms my heart to read you say that you consider me a good influence on me. I feel the same way about several bloggers whose blogs I read on a regular basis. All my life I've strived to be a better person. Those bloggers, with their honest and heart felt blog posts are a good influence on me.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, I enjoyed the vintage photos, as always.
    I have often been accused of "living in the past", and I'll say what I always say:

    The past is ALL we have. It is the foundation of everything we are today. Live every day to the fullest - - but don't ever count on the future.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thank you Jon. I'm going to have to dig into my old photo albums and scanned some new old photos!
      I agree with you absolutely that the past is ALL we have. It is the foundation of everything we are today. Live every day to the fullest but don't count OUT the future (I think you had a typo there).
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - I truly love a post like this. Seeing your history. Looks like a pretty happy situation over all - and you are enriched because of it. Your family sure instilled great life principles into you and gave you a very secure start in life. I applaud them for that.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. My family and the way I was brought up DID instill the right principles in me just as your family did for you and your brother. We are both very lucky.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy your TBT posts! So cool. I would not call you "less polished" or needy at all. You are a cool guy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I enjoy the trips down memory lane and the Throwback Thursday posts give me the opportunity to go down that lane again. I'm glad you enjoy them. I have more old photos that I have to scan and post, someday!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Ron, for your reply. It's so interesting how you struck a chord in all of us with this posting. The responses all reflect a positiveness that we all recognized thru your essay on your growing up. Congratulations. You are a real communicator.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      As usual you're very kind and generous with your comments. Is it any wonder why I like you so much? (smile)
      Ron

      Delete