Saturday, May 02, 2015

Sleep



SLEEP:

A condition body and mind such as that which typically recurs of several hours every night, in which the nervous system is relatively inactive, the eyes closed, the postural muscle relaxed, and consciousness practically suspended.




I like to sleep.  

I try to get at least six hours of sleep a night.

I take a nap every afternoon of at least an hour.

I rarely have difficulty falling asleep.

I usually fall asleep within five minutes of going to bed.

To me sleeping is an escape from the turmoil of the consciousness.  

During the past 2 1/2 months of my leg injury discomfort, sleep was my only escape from the pain of a swollen foot and leg. 

Sleep is an escape from pain, whether physical of mental.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about sleep. 

Two people I knew well died this year.  I wonder if their state of mind is the same as mine when I am sleeping.  If it is, then how bad can death be?  Death may truly be Eternal Rest. 

No more pain.  No more worries. No nothing.




Not that I'm endorsing death nor anxious for my death but one has to admit that when you're gone, you're gone. There's nothing. You're not hurting anymore.  The only people hurting are those who care for you.  For them there is pain and loss. You feel nothing.

Every night I look forward to going to sleep.  This is one of my special pleasures.  I think of all those years that I did not or could not have a pleasant night's sleep.  The years I had to share a bed with my uncle.  The years I had to share a bed with my two younger brothers. The years I was in the Army and had to share my "bedroom" with sixty other men. All the years I had to get up early to go to work.

For many years I worked towards the goal of having the perfect bedroom.  The most comfortable bed.  And to get up when I want to (well sort of anyway, if I sleep too late Bill comes in and wants to know what's the matter).  

But basically folks, I'm at a good time of my life when I can go to bed when I want, sleep undisturbed during the night and get up when I want.  I can escape into the nothingness of unconsciousness.

So where am I going with the post folks?  Sometimes I don't even know but one thing I do know.  I like to sleep and I believe that when you die it's just like sleeping.  Nothing. 

Sleeping, one of my favorite activities. 




But in the meantime, I plan to make the maximum use of my waking hours.  I'm not done living yet folks.  I have a long way to go. Stay with me for the ride of my life. The best is yet to come.






10 comments:

  1. I too value sleep ever so much. Where would one be without it? In the asylum, I'm sure. Also have to have AT LEAST one 'catnap' during the day with, for good measure, at least one cat on the bed with me.
    It's comforting to think that death could be one continuous sleep. If it turns out to be so it would have been futile to have been fearing it - but I still want to postpone that 'pleasure' in finding out for as long as is practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I am 99% convinced that death is one continuous sleep. Trust Rest in Peace. But like you I want to postpone that "pleasure" as long as I can. I have too much living to do.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I have the darkest, quietest bedroom I have had since I left the far, after high school. I sleep well here, very comfortable. 7-8 hours most nights. When I moved here I didn't put a TV in my bedroom, when I turn off the computer, there are no distractions to keep me awake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I don't know what's gong on tonight but this is the third time I'm responding to your comment. Here goes, I'll try again. I need white noise to sleep. I have my TV in my bedroom. I often go to sleep while watching the TV. However, I don't have my computer in my bedroom. At my former house I did have my computer in my bedroom which was a mistake. If I'm on the computer before I go to bed I do have trouble going to sleep. My head is swirling with too much information. Now my computer resides in another room, my home office. I never go to sleep while I'm on my computer.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Since I had no siblings, I only shared my bed with the Bogyman when I was a child. Now I share it with a couple of cats (the feline type) and it's slightly unnerving. I have a feeling they're waiting for me to fall into a deep sleep so they can devour me and use my body as a scratching post.

    I've suffered from Major Insomnia my entire life. If I get six hours of shuteye in one night it's a miracle. Lately I've only been getting 3 or 4 hour visits to Dreamland. It's a curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      You're lucky you could sleep by yourself. Having my own bed and even better, having my own bedroom was a fantasy for me. I finally got my own bedroom when I was 16 years old but it was only for a short time. The next year I graduated from high school and except for that medical delay I had, I was off to join the Army and sharing sleeping quarters again. Eventually I even got my own room while I was in the Army which was a blessing.
      I don't sleep well if I know I have something to do the next day which I am dreading. But thankfully that doesn't happen that often. I've heard of people who have insomnia and I feel bad for them. I feel bad for you.
      I haven't slept with anyone for years until recently when Pat and I were on vacation. He told me "I've never known anyone who can go to sleep as fast as you can." He said that within a few minutes of going to bed I'm out. That's good!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Ron, I love sleep, too, altho it became unreliable for me due to health issues so I take a pill every night to make sure I get my 8 hrs. Glad you are getting your rest, too. And as you know, it helps our bodies heal, too, which is so important for you right now. ~~~ NB (zzz ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      I am so thankful I don't need aid to go to sleep. Bill has said that I sleep like the dead, nothing wakes me up. One time I can remember waking up though, a slight earthquake back in the 70's in Philly. I head that rumbling and I jumped out of my bed ready to make the mad dash down the stairs and out of our three story townhouse.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. When in doubt, get horizontal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. You stole my mantra. (smile)

      Delete